Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 01:56   #46

Boat: Seawind 1160, 38 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Mick C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B
Nah, Not the Invoice, Just the price, Thanks,

The factory is only 10 miles from me, I might have to go down there for a look see,

Cheers,
Brian,
I live in avonsleigh, one street away. I have no interest in the business and i love the product.
Old 17-07-2012, 05:03   #47

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Sarca Excel

Been a few months now... any more feedback on the sarca Excel? especially interested in flinders Island area, never had any luck with my plow in the hard bottom there, and even my fisherman didn't work.
Old 17-07-2012, 05:26   #48

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Hi Snowpetrel - from my personal experience of replacing a CQR plough with a Super Sarca (this one has the roll bar) I could not have been happier with it's performance as described in my post on page 1 of this thread.

I am not familiar with the anchoring conditions at Flinders Island but I expect that the Sarca would do the job for you as Sarca stands for Sand And Rock Combination Anchor. I would suggest that you phone the owner and designer of the Sarca who is called Rex who is very helpfull & always more than happy to discuss his anchors with existing or potential new customers. You can contact him through the details shown on the Anchor Right website and he would be able to honestly answer any questions that you have about them.

I also add that when I bought the Super Sarca I was speaking to a pro fisherman who ran large trawlers between Bundaberg & New Caledonia & they had also equipped their boats with Sarca anchors. He was very happy with their performance in often extreme conditions that they had been caught out in. This is a great endorsement in itself & really reaffirmed the research I had done on the Sarca's before buying one.

They really are great anchors.

Regards,
Steve
Old 18-07-2012, 02:49   #49

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Thanks Steve. I like the lack of rollbar and wash clean features of the excel, and have been impressed with the setting speed of the delta, and the excel is aussie.. But there is not much independent testing available for it.
Old 18-07-2012, 05:09   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Thanks Steve. I like the lack of rollbar and wash clean features of the excel, and have been impressed with the setting speed of the delta, and the excel is aussie.. But there is not much independent testing available for it.
I tend to disagree. There has been quite a lot of independent testing and reviews by various organisations on top of the extensive testing that Rex has done himself which are all on his website. Have you seen all of the certifications on their website - see the link below?

SARCA in Action - anchorright.com.au

Apart from countless private users this is further backed up by a large number of endorsements of user groups such as Water Police, Coastguards, Fisheries Patrol Vessels and numerous professional fisherman & commercial users in vessels up to 500 tons across Australia, NZ , UK & now the U.S.A. as well. These groups do not back a product that does not work.

Have a read of these endorsements:-

Endorsements - anchorright.com.au

BTW - I have no relationship with Rex or his company Anchor Right but I am more than happy to promote his product from my personal experience where his anchor set first time every time.

You have nothing to be apprehensive about, as I suggested, give Rex a call he is very helpfull and will answer any questions that you have.
Old 19-07-2012, 21:42   #51
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Guys, Super Sarca was tested in 2006 Sail Magazine Anchor Test, I will let you be the judge:

http://content.westmarine.com/docume...chor-Tests.pdf

I hate to say this, being an anchor manufacturer... But our videos have to be met with skepticism.
Greg
Old 19-07-2012, 21:51   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Just to be clear - the Super Sarca and the Sarca Excel are two different anchors
Old 19-07-2012, 22:00   #53

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregKutsen View Post
Guys, Super Sarca was tested in 2006 Sail Magazine Anchor Test, I will let you be the judge:

http://content.westmarine.com/docume...chor-Tests.pdf

I hate to say this, being an anchor manufacturer... But our videos have to be met with skepticism.
Greg

Whilst it is a SARCA anchor tested in that test it was not the later design concept the SARCA EXCEL being discussed.

The SARCA anchor tested was a SUPER SARCA - a different beast.

Anchor tests/demos and interperation certainly can be met with skepticism.

Cheers
Old 19-07-2012, 22:10   #54
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh of-course, I am aware, nExcel might be a great piece of gear... but so far there is little reason to believe that its not just a pretty Delta. The reason I brought up the test is...: AnchorRight spent much time on their videos convincing folks that Super Sarca was better than Rocna and Manson but when tested by others the results were not duplicated. This could be the same situation... However, since I am clearly biased, it was not my place to comment, so I will shut up now.....
Greg
Old 19-07-2012, 22:30   #55

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Opinions, even biased are useful. Remember one ROCNA poster

I am still evaluating vessels and anchors.

cheers
Old 19-07-2012, 22:34   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Au Contraire Greg, you can certainly comment, I meant not to challenge your comment but merely ensure that people knew that there were two anchors being discussed. Did not mean in any way to challenge what you were saying.

The Super Sarca, the Rocna, the Manson Supreme and your anchor are all down my list, because of the way I stow my anchor. And they are all demonstrably good anchors. So far been very happy with the Excel, and like I said at the beginning of this thread, a Delta it isn't, i've tried a delta on this (and many other boats), and trust me if a delta worked like I wanted that is what would be there - they are cheaper. But it ain't a delta and it works way better.

While I have you here, why is the mantus different - better - than the Rocna etc?

And whats your views on concave/convex?
Old 19-07-2012, 22:50   #57
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Of-course, we "claim" that Mantus has better penetrating power, i.e the harder the soil the more exaggerated the difference as you can see in our videos irony! ha?
Mantus Test Videos | | MANTUS ANCHORS| MANTUS ANCHORS
So, we wanted to move the conversation away from holding power, but which piece of gear is most reliable to set everywhere and every time. Now, we do see much better holding power in these harder soils as well.
I don't think that convex/concave is a game changer, Fortress,(Buggel) do pretty good flat. Its the whole package ..... the tricky thing is to get the shape to do all of the above: Roll Over, Have Good Ability to Penetrate EVERYWHERE, Be robust, "Look Decent".
For examle; Spade, a well respected anchor, and works in most locations but in dense, sticky clay we couldn't get it to set, I think it is too bulky in the nose for this soil type.

We also made Mantus have the ability to break down for storage.

Greg
Old 20-07-2012, 19:04   #58

Hi Snowpetrel,

The thing that I have noticed in tests in magazines over the years is how often you see conflicting reports between publications and even the same publication getting very different results when they test the same products at a different time. So, while these reports are usefull information I would not treat them as being the be all & end all just like comments from competing manufacturers.

I tend to gather as much information as I can when evaluating a product but pay more attention to feedback from users who use a product on a very regular basis. In the case of anchors your best source of feedback is actual owners & users like those who are cruising and not some magazine report.

You have no doubt noticed that there are a lot of other anchor testing articles available on line which are more recent than the 2006 one mentioned above and these later articles do include the Excel but I'll leave it to you to look these up.

As you are considering the Excel I do not have personal experience of this anchor but Factor does & from my understanding the holding power of the Excel is superior to the Super Sarca that I have used.

All the best.
Old 20-07-2012, 19:08   #59

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle
Hi Snowpetrel,

The thing that I have noticed in tests in magazines over the years is how often you see conflicting reports between publications and even the same publication getting very different results when they test the same products at a different time. So, while these reports are usefull information I would not treat them as being the be all & end all just like comments from competing manufacturers.

I tend to gather as much information as I can when evaluating a product but pay more attention to feedback from users who use a product on a very regular basis. In the case of anchors your best source of feedback is actual owners & users like those who are cruising and not some magazine report.

You have no doubt noticed that there are a lot of other anchor testing articles available on line which are more recent than the 2006 one mentioned above and these later articles do include the Excel but I'll leave it to you to look these up.

As you are considering the Excel I do not have personal experience of this anchor but Factor does & from my understanding the holding power of the Excel is superior to the Super Sarca that I have used.

All the best.
I've never seen any article with the excel included, despite looking. Can you link?
Old 20-07-2012, 20:01   #60

Here is one which comes from a bit of a different perspective to some other tests. Ok, they have an Excel on their cat but being a "real user" gives you that different perspective.

Testing the new generation of anchors
Closed Thread

Tags
arc