Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 12:17   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Bleach and acid. Not at all a good choise. Fabric softner is a better choise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Just curious what the active ingredients in the product are and what effect they might have on the nylon itself. Pretty and soft is less important that strong.
MSDS for "super Iron Out"

http://www.summitbrands.com/retail_s...Iron%20Out.pdf

No magic - just disolves the rust with acid, and softens the rope by removing anything that was in the way.

Also, for those of you that like cold weather sailing and soft ropes, the water proofing treatments slod to rock climbers prevent the rope from freezing and give it is softer hand. They do NOT weakent the rope, though they do reduce friction a little bit.
Old 12-06-2009, 22:17   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
They do NOT weakent the rope, though they do reduce friction a little bit.
You sure?

We have a chemical we use to see what old ropes are made from, it is an acid. If you drop a sample of rope into it and it dissolves, that usually means it is a nylon based product.

Yes there are some acid based, but very highly diluted, products you can get to clean sails and so on but every one of them very clearly says between 5 and 15mins exposer, no longer, then wash hard with clean water. I would think leaving them overnite would be a big call. Hope I'm wrong.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 07:32   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Regaurding the waterproofing coumpouunds, yes, very sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
You sure?

We have a chemical we use to see what old ropes are made from, it is an acid. If you drop a sample of rope into it and it dissolves, that usually means it is a nylon based product.

Yes there are some acid based, but very highly diluted, products you can get to clean sails and so on but every one of them very clearly says between 5 and 15mins exposer, no longer, then wash hard with clean water. I would think leaving them overnite would be a big call. Hope I'm wrong.
You can stake your life on that - many do, including every Everest expedition. ALL ice climbing ropes are treated. Nikwax Rope Proof - On Sale - GearBuyer.com

Regarding the5-10 minutes rule, yes, I think they know what they are talking about, and with the weak (phosphoric/oxalic) acids they use, that is safe. It is the over-night soak that, as you said, would be a big call. A choice for something that is not strength-critical.
Old 13-06-2009, 13:53   #19
Marine Service Provider

That Rope Proof isn't an acid and like the many and vary coatings used. Looks similar to stuff they use on Dielectric ropes.

Acids are a different story. The 5-10mins is probably OK but wasn't the rope soaked overnight. That's the bit I find a little spooky.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode