Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2013, 14:43   #1

Rope - Chain Splice

Since installing a powered windlass I have been having problems with the rope to chain splice.
The windlass is a Maxwell horizontal with combination rope chain gypsy and it has a tendency to "undo" the splice in the 3 strand Poly/Dacron rode.
The first splice was a standard short splice which came undone after being run through about 5 times. The next attempt was to lengthen the splice and whip it but that made it so stiff it would not go around the gypsy into the hawse pipe so the whipping was removed and the individual strands were "sewn" down. So far the splice is holding but the rode is un-laying adjacent the splice which means the gypsy will no longer grip it.

Any ideas.

My next will be too again attempt a long splice version of the chain rope splice but the rode gets so soft when unwound that I chucked that idea the first time. Adding a swivel at the anchor is not something I'll consider.
RThynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 14:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rope-Chain splice

Turn your 3 strand into docklines and invest in this stuff...
Flexible, strong, shock absorbing and does a dream splice on anchor chain...
16mm Nylon Anchor Briad 8 Plait

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 15:02   #3

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Rope-Chain splice

Boatman is right about the 8 plait being a superior rode.

However, if you want to use the 3-strand it can work with your windlass. You may want to consult a book by Brion Toss regarding rope-chain splices. He has an excellent set of instructions in his book on this and many other rope knots, hitches and splices. See:

Brion Toss Yacht Riggers, Sailboat Rigging::Books

Or you might look for "Knots for Boaters" by Brion Toss in a library. It is a good book to have on the boat too.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 15:15   #4
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Rope-Chain Splice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RThynes View Post
Any ideas.

Chain!!!!! I went to all chain partly so I didn't have to screw around with the splice anymore.
Old 29-07-2013, 15:40   #5

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

How many feet of chain did you decide to carry Don?
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 15:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Chain!!!!! I went to all chain partly so I didn't have to screw around with the splice anymore.
no doubt about it.
So, I'm curious about the 8 plait... really dont understand how that will hold up to the sharp edges on the wildcat any better than 3 strand...? I usually had 200 ft of chain with large 3 strand spiced behind that. The 3 strand rarely saw the light of day, when it did I knew it was coming out and just lifted it past the wildcat either direction....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 16:42   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
How many feet of chain did you decide to carry Don?

I have 340 feet (only wanted and paid 275' but they couldn't measure worth a crap apparently).

BTW - my windlass manual says to NOT use multiplat but to use 2 stand (which doesn't like to turn and go down the hole).
Old 29-07-2013, 16:50   #8

Re: Rope - Chain Splice

The length of the chain is very important as it is its weight that maintains the gradual climbing of the chain from horizontal (at the bottom) to maybe a 45º. (at the boat). But there is limit to how much chain one can carry. Rope is light and able to increase the scope up to 1:10 or more if need be. On my boat I do not attach the rope to the chain but around a thimble which is looped in the chain link. The chafe is then metal (SS) on metal and not on the rope. I have never had one come apart, but maybe because the length of the splice is at least 6' to 8".
vinayfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 17:12   #9

Boatman:
I have considered the MegaBrait but was trying to avoid the "investment" as some of our anchorages have been on the deep side so a long rode is required but it may be the best choice. Anyone need 500' of mooring lines?

Transmitterdan:
I have the book by Toss and did try his trick with hair setting goop to try and set the rope for splicing the long splice but I didn't have much luck, but I'm going to try it again.
RThynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 17:16   #10
CLOD

Another option is to have more chain than the depth you normally anchor in so that you can easily make the transition between the rope and chain instead of having to run the splice though the windlass under load.
Old 29-07-2013, 17:35   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rope - Chain Splice

The Bruce Roberts 54 I took to Oz last year had chain and a 3 strand rode... opposite the 'Wildcat' was a drum which I'd take 3 turns of rope around then haul in till there was 1 and 1/2 turns of chain on the drum... jam the chain run with my foot and transfer the chain on the drum to the other side.. and start the haul again..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 17:42   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

The last 50' of my "all chain" rode is brait. Just last week I had Port Supply do the splice for me, AND THEY ONLY CHARGED $30 USD! (Alameda Store).

It's a beautiful splice, too. About 9" long, tapered thrice. It would have taken me two hours to do that splice, and a great deal more cursing that I'm accustomed to doing.
Old 29-07-2013, 17:44   #13

I'm having trouble visualizing a short or a long splice here. I would go with an eye splice with metal thimble, and shackle it to the chain.

You may be expecting too much from your wildcat/gypsy combination. I'd make a short six or ten foot line with a chain hook on it to get over the transition.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:00   #14

I thought I'd great luck with three strand now on a tapered short splice. perhaps the poly braid does not hold this place well
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 19:33   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am puzzled by the OP. what/how exactly is the splice coming apart? Do you have any pics?

I have used a standard 3 strand back splice on chain, running thru a lewmar chain/rope gypsy, for years and its never shown any tendency to come apart.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope