Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2013, 14:31   #136
Registered User
 
cfarrar's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklin, Maine U.S.A
Boat: Allures 44
Posts: 734
Images: 2
Re: Rolling Hitch on Snubber

And Evans & Jedi, do you not think that the simple loop-through-chain link might result in sawing action that chafes the Spectra? It just seems like the Kleimheist would be more chafe resistant.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 15:24   #137
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 11,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
And Evans & Jedi, do you not think that the simple loop-through-chain link might result in sawing action that chafes the Spectra? It just seems like the Kleimheist would be more chafe resistant.
No, I don't think it will chafe at all. There will not be any sawing action because it doesn't stretch.

About soft shackles, here is my thread about the soft shackles: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-102779.html
And here is thesite and calculator I used: http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_howto.php

__________________
This is just an answer/comment; not interested in arguing or dealing with the trolls
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 15:34   #138
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand
Boat: Lotus 10.6
Posts: 52
My apologies for my ignorance but what length should a snubber be? The only snubbers I have seen in use appear to be there to stop noise at the bow roller more than anything else as they only go from the bow to just above the water line. So probably not much more than 2 metres which cannot supply much in the way of stretch to absorb snatch loads.
NZGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 15:47   #139
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 11,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZGrant View Post
My apologies for my ignorance but what length should a snubber be? The only snubbers I have seen in use appear to be there to stop noise at the bow roller more than anything else as they only go from the bow to just above the water line. So probably not much more than 2 metres which cannot supply much in the way of stretch to absorb snatch loads.
I make my snubbers about 6 meters long, of which 1 meter is on deck for cleating etc so 5 meters out there to stretch. When you do much more the stretch start acting like a bungee cord with the boat whipping back forward too far etc.
__________________
This is just an answer/comment; not interested in arguing or dealing with the trolls
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 15:51   #140
Moderator Emeritus
 
nigel1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 5,497
Re: Rolling Hitch on Snubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No, I don't think it will chafe at all. There will not be any sawing action because it doesn't stretch.

About soft shackles, here is my thread about the soft shackles: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-102779.html
And here is thesite and calculator I used: Soft Shackles


Nick, I have not worked Amsteel rope, is it a single braid rope, and the eye made by bringing one end of the line through centre of the rope?
The stopper knot looks like what we call a lanyard knot.

Edit: I just followed your link Nick, and it answered my question. I'll have to get some of this rope and have a go at making a few
__________________
Nigel
Beneteau 473
Manchester, UK
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 16:03   #141
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Posts: 5,731
Re: Rolling Hitch on Snubber

Here is a good how to video for making Soft Shackles.

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 16:07   #142
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 11,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post

Nick, I have not worked Amsteel rope, is it a single braid rope, and the eye made by bringing one end of the line through centre of the rope?
The stopper knot looks like what we call a lanyard knot.

Edit: I just followed your link Nick, and it answered my question. I'll have to get some of this rope and have a go at making a few
It is very nice to do. The small grey one was made with 1/8" Amsteel Blue (in grey color, go figure), the medium white one was 3/16" New England ropes V100 IIRC and the big blue one was 1/4" Amsteel Blue again.
__________________
This is just an answer/comment; not interested in arguing or dealing with the trolls
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:07   #143
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Posts: 5,731
Re: Rolling Hitch on Snubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No, I don't think it will chafe at all. There will not be any sawing action because it doesn't stretch.

About soft shackles, here is my thread about the soft shackles: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-102779.html
And here is thesite and calculator I used: Soft Shackles

Jedi,
Do you have a link or instructions for your middle one thats an improved version and made that in 3/16" Endura 12. This construction ends up as 3/8" or 9.5mm thick. Here is a similar photo series that shows the difference; basically, the whipping halfway is replaced by a brummel-like lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brummel-like lock soft shackle.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	61357  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:12   #144
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Posts: 5,731
Re: Rolling Hitch on Snubber

Jedi,

Is this the "Better Soft Shackle" ?
Better Soft Shackle
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:16   #145
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 11,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

Jedi,
Do you have a link or instructions for your middle one thats an improved version and made that in 3/16" Endura 12. This construction ends up as 3/8" or 9.5mm thick. Here is a similar photo series that shows the difference; basically, the whipping halfway is replaced by a brummel-like lock.
Oh yes, sorry about that... I've been doing a bunch and mixed it up. Here are the matching instructions and calculator:
http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_9.php

I like the version of the small gray one too, but need to check how the 1/8" dyneema works with this improved version
__________________
This is just an answer/comment; not interested in arguing or dealing with the trolls
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:19   #146
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 11,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Jedi,

Is this the "Better Soft Shackle" ?
Better Soft Shackle
Yep. Regardless of the naysayers, you will find it is 100% secure and can't come loose by itself
__________________
This is just an answer/comment; not interested in arguing or dealing with the trolls
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:39   #147
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Posts: 5,731
Re: Rolling Hitch on Snubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yep. Regardless of the naysayers, you will find it is 100% secure and can't come loose by itself
It looks like the same type of hybrid soft shackle that estarzinger used for his snubber chain grabber.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1243952

I really have to make a few of these to give it a go. Looks to be a really nice setup.

Better Soft Shackle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soft shackle1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	61359   Click image for larger version

Name:	soft shackle2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	61360  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:42   #148
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 11,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

It looks like the same type of hybrid soft shackle that estarzinger used for his snubber chain grabber.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1243952

I really have to make a few of these to give it a go. Look to be a really nice setup.

Better Soft Shackle
It is very similar, but see in that first pic how much further it can open? That is how it can go loose by itself when not under tension. That "better shackle" design limits this as can be seen in my pic
__________________
This is just an answer/comment; not interested in arguing or dealing with the trolls
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:49   #149
Do or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 11,871
A couple more points now that I'm at it anyway:

- I would not put a thimble in the eyesplice of the snubber. It is metal maintenance trouble and my tests have shown it is not needed for strength. Snubbers never break at the eyesplice near the chain regardless if it has a thimble or not.

- the picture from Evans shows the stopper knot of the soft shackle right there at the eye splice / thimble of the snubber. This is not good, it should be halfway between snubber and chain. The reason is that the forces divide when it's in the middle and with the stopper knot as the weak point, it's better when that only sees half the load.

cheers,
Nick.
__________________
This is just an answer/comment; not interested in arguing or dealing with the trolls
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 21:05   #150
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,441
Re: Rolling Hitch on Snubber

Ahem; I disagree, Nick

It's true the stopper knot sees only half the load, but not true (IMO) that this is changed to the full load when it's half way round the thimble.

(in fact, if the thimble is large, the theoretical load when it's exactly half way round will be relieved a tiny amount by the frictional transfer of load from the rope either side of the stopper to the metal of the thimble, but that's 'angels dancing on pinhead' territory.

I agree with your conclusion, that it would be preferable (probably much preferable) to move it away from the thimble, but I disagree with your stated reason.

ON EDIT: Thanks a lot for the links, and the effort you've gone to on this topic. I don't have time right now but will definitely take a thorough look, and no doubt learn a lot.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Challenge: How to Stop Rolling at Anchor captainKJ Challenges 49 24-05-2013 23:52
Fairleading the Snubber cfarrar Anchoring & Mooring 15 01-02-2013 12:00
How to rig a snubber ona bobstay boat BlackOak Monohull Sailboats 6 01-02-2013 08:24
Hitch Ride from Florida to Cuba RavennaSailor Our Community 4 18-12-2012 18:45
Hitch Hiking from Puerto Rico to Venezuela ondi Atlantic & the Caribbean 5 23-07-2011 12:21

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.