Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 08:56   #1

Boat: Tartan 3700 CCR, 37', Second Passion
Rocna vs Manson Supreme Anchors

I am seeking information/comments on the relative merits of the Rocna and Manson Supreme anchors.
WP007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:02   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I chose the Rocna, despite its higher price, only because it seems a bit more robust, especially the chisel point. I suspect either of them is superior to any other anchor I've ever used. I've been installing several of them, over the last couple months, on my customer's boats which are preparing to cruise. Both were highly rated in the West Marine/US Boating trials.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:10   #3
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
It seems to me we've been down this road before.....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nes-12546.html

This question should be in the "anchoring & mooring" section.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:27   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
More than once! Do a site search you'll need a day to read it all.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:40   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welcome, WP007!

I used to live up the road from you in Wilmington. Good to have you on the forum.

To take advantage of the posts already in our archives, use this handy custom Google search engine: SEARCH CRUISERS FORUM which is also linked in a "sticky" post in the "Tech Support & Site Help" forum.

Take a look at some of these threads, and then fire away with any questions that remain.

Rockna

Manson Supreme
Old 03-09-2008, 17:12   #6

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Rocna and Manson Supreme? What happened to CQR and Danforth!! I've been on land too long!
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 17:40   #7

Boat: Trismus 37
only discernible difference is price.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:08   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
When I was shopping for anchors this spring, I surfed all over the internet. Everywhere I went, I saw Craigs bile & spew. I then chose to buy the Manson Supreme BECAUSE of that garbage. Craig, you reap what you sew.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:36   #9

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Sounds like a well thought out approach to decision making, probably as adroit as your clever use of sewing instead of sowing. Shouldn't the issue be the quality or price of an anchor instead of the fervor of its supporters?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:04   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
As one of...

As one of the very few that actually owns BOTH a Rocna and a Manson Supreme I feel I am one of the few can actually and honestly answer this question.

#1 They both perform better than any other anchor I've owned including other new generation anchors like the Supermax, and both aluminum and steel Spades.

#2 Both my Rocna and Manson Supreme have set on the first try 100% of the time and it's always within feet not yards.

#3 When backing down to set them they both stop the boat like you are tied to a concrete piling!

#4 The Rocna is a better constructed anchor and is built more robustly. Will you ever break a Manson? I doubt it but I anchor in areas where granite was quarried off islands. I have more than once been stuck on granite tailings. I feel the Ronca will survive a "tidal lift" better than my Manson due to it's more robust construction.

If having a better built anchor appeals to you buy the Rocna if you anchor in mostly soft bottoms with minimal rock buy the Manson..
Old 01-10-2008, 14:00   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Sounds like a well thought out approach to decision making, probably as adroit as your clever use of sewing instead of sowing. Shouldn't the issue be the quality or price of an anchor instead of the fervor of its supporters?
eye fund da to anchers to be of simalir capibality so eye baut the Manson Supreme.

Bite me
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 23:34   #12
Marine Service Provider

Having played with 100's of each and daily I'd say there is no difference performance or strength* wise. Both are bloody good and are in the premium performers division. It is a very small division.

The biggest difference we can find for the average boater is basically only the price, here at least.

* the strength comment doesn't include testing by one who has proclaimed theirs is 25% stronger. It has not been refuted by the other one and if you knew the history of the respective combatants you would fully expect it to have been commented on. From what I have personally seen and done with each I am struggling to see any 25% difference. Either way both are plenty strong enough for 99.9% of boaters 99.9% of the time.

And the boss of one is running around saying they don't manufacture in NZ anymore. Not to sure if that's good or bad but I'd be thinking, possibly not that flash. Time will tell and hopefully not in a bad way.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 23:42   #13

Boat: Hylas 47
On a side note, which ethnic group has the hottest women, which religion is the best and why, which religion is the worst and why, should I bring a gun on my McGregor 26 to fight pirates, and who is screwing the country more, Democrats or Republicans?
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 23:51   #14
Marine Service Provider

Tahitian mixed with mainland France and by quite a margin
Religion? Yachting, no question.
No, just stay by a warship but keep the motor idling just in case.
Dems and Reps? Neither, they have nothing on our Helen, she's an Grade A shocker but with a bit of luck only for another 4 weeks
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:06   #15

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
When I was shopping for anchors this spring, I surfed all over the internet. Everywhere I went, I saw Craigs bile & spew. I then chose to buy the Manson Supreme BECAUSE of that garbage. Craig, you reap what you sew.
the exact reason why I ended up buying a Manson and not a Rocna. The idiot who sells the Rocna anchors put me off!

Tags
anchor, rocna