Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2011, 15:17   #436
Marine Service Provider

Re: Rocna Size

Don't get me wrong, it's not a dive or some dark festering s**thole, it is clean and tidy with floors not mud or anything primeval like that. It far far nicer and organised than more than a few other places I've seen over there that's for sure. It's just their style and it works for them so I suppose it's more just what we in the west are conditioned, for lack of a better word, to expect when we hear things like 'purpose built'. From what I've seen, if I was a chinese worker I'd far rather be working at this place than many, nearly most, others. To be honest it's tidier than my manufacturing div was yesterday........ and better ventilated

I just had to giggle at the 'marketing' description, I was expecting a little more. Which if we are all honest can apply to a huge number of places and products in what's called 1st world as well. I'm sure we all have had something marketed to us as something only to get there or it to find not quite what the glossy adverts suggested. But that is the big risk of all marketing, over cook it and holes can be left to walk thru leaving a trail of WTF?? And as we have seen the marketing pots in the Rocna kitchen have been at 110% 24/7 so it's left lots of hole to walk thru. It's been coming for a while, quite a while and they have been told that more than once.

But it can come back fine. They just need to open the windows to blow all the smoke out so people can get in and remove the mirrors. Once that's done and things are more clear it'll make everyone a lot more happier about just exactly what they have on their bow. I would like to suggest 'Fit for purpose' is yet another marketing phrase where 'Q620', for example, is a set in stone know item.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 15:44   #437

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I wouldn't expect a place that forged and milled metal to look like a plush resort, but I would expect windows to keep the rain out. You know, so nothing gets rusty before the hot dip...
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 17:31   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Just when you think this sad tale couldn't get more dire and/or funny, up pops a new report of "something bad with Rocna stamped on it".

I'd love to see that fire block shed, sorry, "Chinese manufacturing facility". Perhaps the absence of windows is to allow the breeze to blow away the stink of the decomposing reputation.
I have lots of video that belong to ME that I took during all of my trips there
Old 18-06-2011, 17:34   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Don't get me wrong, it's not a dive or some dark festering s**thole, it is clean and tidy with floors not mud or anything primeval like that. It far far nicer and organised than more than a few other places I've seen over there that's for sure. It's just their style and it works for them so I suppose it's more just what we in the west are conditioned, for lack of a better word, to expect when we hear things like 'purpose built'. From what I've seen, if I was a chinese worker I'd far rather be working at this place than many, nearly most, others. To be honest it's tidier than my manufacturing div was yesterday........ and better ventilated

I just had to giggle at the 'marketing' description, I was expecting a little more. Which if we are all honest can apply to a huge number of places and products in what's called 1st world as well. I'm sure we all have had something marketed to us as something only to get there or it to find not quite what the glossy adverts suggested. But that is the big risk of all marketing, over cook it and holes can be left to walk thru leaving a trail of WTF?? And as we have seen the marketing pots in the Rocna kitchen have been at 110% 24/7 so it's left lots of hole to walk thru. It's been coming for a while, quite a while and they have been told that more than once.

But it can come back fine. They just need to open the windows to blow all the smoke out so people can get in and remove the mirrors. Once that's done and things are more clear it'll make everyone a lot more happier about just exactly what they have on their bow. I would like to suggest 'Fit for purpose' is yet another marketing phrase where 'Q620', for example, is a set in stone know item.

Maybe with any luck they will produce the metal test reports they have been sitting on for weeks now
Old 18-06-2011, 17:56   #440

Boat: Prout 46

It must be an omen. After you read the lame "mea culpa" on the Rocna News, check out the next story about the freak tornado hitting their headquarters. It seems God is pissed at them too.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 19:37   #441

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

God's probably tired of being blamed for man's malfeasance.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 19:54   #442

Boat: Allied Mistress
I just recently had a long conversation with my locate West Marine about this issue. I tired to return my 15kg rocna that I bought last march. The manager's response was to reply was to contact the regional manager. He in turn sent me an email - "he is contracting Rocna to confirm the recent issue with their products".

Am waiting to see how this turns out - am looking at returning this and getting a Mason Supreme. Am buying a piece of mind when I anchor for the night. I'll keep you all posted.
EC Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 21:14   #443

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC Sailor View Post
I just recently had a long conversation with my locate West Marine about this issue. I tired to return my 15kg rocna that I bought last march. The manager's response was to reply was to contact the regional manager. He in turn sent me an email - "he is contracting Rocna to confirm the recent issue with their products".

Am waiting to see how this turns out - am looking at returning this and getting a Mason Supreme. Am buying a piece of mind when I anchor for the night. I'll keep you all posted.
Contact Chuck Hawley, VP Product Development, ChuckH@westmarine.com. He knows all about the issue if you don't get a quick response.
Old 18-06-2011, 21:43   #444

Boat: Allied Mistress
Avb3,
I just cc'd Chuck Hawley in my reply email to the manager. Thank for your help.

Ed

73 Allied Mistress
EC Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 07:07   #445

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC Sailor View Post

That's interesting, and surprising. If you go back on this thread, you'll find a picture of my return receipt that listed the very same 15 kg as 'defective,' as well as the test results. I would call the regional manager and ask whether West Marine knew at the time they sold you your anchor that it was not made of the steel quality touted on the Rocna web site, and if so, why would they be party to a fraud? And if not, why would they not stand behind their customer in rectifying the fraud once discovered?
Old 19-06-2011, 08:06   #446

Boat: Sabre 28

"- "he is contracting Rocna to confirm the recent issue with their products"."

You shouldn't have to look hard to find posts from CS around when you bought your anchor giving details about the steel in the anchor.

Likewise archive.org can help too....

Rocna Anchors - Construction

Lastly, this is what Rocna was claiming in early 2010 about the move to China...

Two years ago Rocna had manufacturing facilities in both Canada and New Zealand and at the time were a small, boutique manufacturer/distributor.

As word of our anchor starting to spread so too did demand and, in anticipation of strong growth, we began to make plans to increase the capacity of our manufacturing capabilities.

We also used this as an opportunity to ‘raise the bar’ and further improve the quality and consistency of our anchor as our existing manufacturers were struggling to spend the time, or pay as much attention to detail, as our specifications demanded without increasing the costs beyond acceptable levels.

During this process we considered manufacturing options in China, India, Australia, Poland and naturally continued negotiations with our two incumbent manufacturers in New Zealand and Canada.

After extensive research and evaluations, including numerous overseas trips and manufacturing samples, we eventually elected to move production to new, purpose built facilities in Shanghai, China.

Staffed by highly skilled, well-qualified engineers and workers, the Chinese facility is already ISO 9001 accredited. All the welders are certified and the factory has invested in the latest X-ray technology for random weld inspections as part of a rigorous quality control regime.

In addition, we have invested considerable time and effort training the Chinese production team to meet our high standards. Experts in quality control and production management worked closely with Chinese factory personnel and we also engaged the services of Italian based RINA [Registro Italiano Navale], an internationally recognised leader in certification and assessment of conformity, and have been working with RINA now for over 14 months.

RINA is now in the final stages of certifying the Chinese facilities and expects that this process will be completed over the next few weeks. Only 5% of Chinese companies meet RINA’s standards and Rocna will be the first and only anchor manufacturer in the world to be certified to such a high level.

With the move, we were able to use what we had learned from our existing manufacturing experiences to upgrade the specification and improve the manufacturing process as a whole.

Although the anchors use exactly the same high quality steel as before, the specifications and consistency out of China are higher than they were – it’s now a significantly superior product.

Rocna is now available and actively distributed in 27 countries world-wide and these new facilities allow for continued growth and quality that will ensure these demands are met with a quality and consistency unmatched by our competitors

We offer a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty and fully stand behind our product with a confidence that simply knows that we’re making anchors better than we ever have.

(emphasis added....)
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 09:46   #447

Boat: Prout 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
God's probably tired of being blamed for man's malfeasance.
Or maybe his only son bought a Rocna and it broke. I heard he was a fisherman. I'm just speculating now, but maybe because the anchor broke, Jesus's boat got blown out to sea and he had to walk all the way back to shore. That could make a guy real mad.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 10:13   #448

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Interesting that the [I]mea culpa[I] does not suggest that any issues with materials are being rectified. Does this mean they will continue to build a cheaper-to-produce product at a higher price, or that they will remedy the issue with regard to future production? Presumably their relying on their position that the below-spec anchors already produced and sold are "functionally" OK will avoid warranty returns. Seems like the only issue they're "sorry" about is that they got caught.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 10:16   #449

at this point I don;t care what they do I bought a manson
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 10:48   #450

Interesting thread...I'm with the guys who love the Rocna. It's simply the best anchor out there. Anything else is putting your boat in jeopardy. I have used many different anchor types (still own a delta as secondary anchor, fortress as stern). I've spent 7 years anchored in places from California and Mexico to the muds of Fiji and loose volcanic sands of Vanuatu. I've nearly lost the boat 4 times, from dragging, with other anchors. Kauai, Tonga (storm), twice in Fiji . The Rocna is the anchor I purchased when the others went lacking. This is not my first anchor I bought. It is my last.

Never could understand some one hanging a $150k boat on a poor performing anchor. I disregard opinions of people with an anchor that is the best because they have one and it works for them, without any other experience (types or conditions). These people are always tied to the dock or their anchoring experience is limited to travelling to the same sheltered cove, just a few miles away, anchoring out a few times a year. If you fit this category than don't answer an(other) anchor thread. I spent an entire cruising year attempting to make the Rocna not stick. Over ran the anchor, anchored on slopes, short scope, mud, sand, weeds, rocks, shale. I purposely tried to make the anchor not set each time I anchored. It set and held perfectly every time, not a single reset. I've got 3 more years now on this anchor and have never doubted my ability to anchor out a storm in any bottom condition.
You put the entire cruise, safety of your life and expense of the boat, on the anchor and chain. Every night. Storm or fair. The Rocna lets me sleep at night.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rocna