Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 17:55   #391

Re: Rocna Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
By this statement, it appears that rocna are saying Grant King is responsible for fraudulently manufacturing under-spec anchors and putting lives at risk.
That is exactly what they have been saying so lets just forget that they were already using below spec material before I even took up my position with them.

Clear written instructions from them to change metals many times are in my files.
Old 01-06-2011, 23:17   #392

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinextreme

Impi,

lets get one fact straight:

the use of substandard material from specs was authorised from the very top, not on the whim or choice of "a former employee" as they put it to you.

As I am the "former employee" they are refering to then then they need to come clean and tell the truth about it and admit that the lower grade of metal was already being used when I started with them, and continued to do so, and still did...up until they were caught out by others on this forum.

Why don't they answer to the forums??? because they do not have plausable answers, thats why.
Ok - so perhaps you are the former employee they refer to in their letter?
What concerns me in this forum (and remember, I'm just one of the sailors out there who purchased a Rocna for my vessel - not aligned to Rocna at all) is that I get the feeling there is a mountain being made out of a mole hill here and really - I think 'sour grapes' is the best explanation I can think of.
Participants in this forum are being led by the nose and manipulated by those who have alterior motives.
This is why I said in an earlier thread, I would not be buying any of the alternative anchors being mentioned in this forum.
I was a very concerned member as you will see from my early comments on this subject, but Rocna have 'stepped up to the base' and been very thorough in dealing with my concerns - off the forum!
I think any comment they make here will be like 'a lamb being led to slaughter'.

And again ..... I'm not sidling up to Rocna ..... The safety if fellow cruisers is very important to us all
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:11   #393

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
I get the feeling there is a mountain being made out of a mole hill here and really - I think 'sour grapes' is the best explanation I can think of.
Impi, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and to render your verdicts via a closed wallet.

If, however, you see the substitution of a stated metal for a weaker, cheaper alloy, than perhaps you would treat your own anger at learning that hallmarked silverware you may have purchased was merely electroplated silver on pewter as "a molehill".

The internal affairs of Rocna and its present and former employees is largely irrelevant, as are, ultimately, character judgements of G. King or C. Smith.

Who, when the wind is howling and the chain is taut, will give a tinker's about these individuals and their antipathies?

The misrepresentation of a specification, which itself is a key "selling point" of the design itself, i.e. it's not just a better design, but a more appropriate and superior alloy, is the focus here.

Rocna's been caught trying to fob off, if not actually shabby goods, goods that are NOT in fact "silver", but "plate".

There's a reason why you want solid silver and why you want plated. Both are valid reasons. Invalid and false is passing off one for the other to save a buck, particularly when you already charge a premium price.

That's not "sour grapes", my friend.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 15:06   #394

........ Fermented grapes?

I certainly am not trying to defend a product that has been more expensive than some ....... I for one, have been very concerned about this whole Rocna fiasco as I will have to be able to sleep at night worrying about the safety of my family - that includes the guy with a defective anchor who comes adrift and collides with our boat.

For this reason I have done my research and found the supplier and Rocna to be very co operative in dispelling my fear of the batch from which my anchor is manufactured.

I also found (as has now been highlighted to be the case) that there are former employees (and from the letter that was posted it appears left under 'a cloud' ) who participate in this thread and who could be making a meal of this..... And of course other suppliers.

This confuses the ordinary cruiser like me and I have simply highlighted what I have discovered through researching wether I have a safe anchor or not, and hopefully through sharing, others could benefit. We need a positive resolve on this - not a continuous negativity that leads nowhere.

Of one thing I am sure - now is probably the time I would be wanting to buy a new manufacture Rocna - hey - these guys cannot afford to screw this up again..... And for good measure ..... I think Rocna should discount.
Old 02-06-2011, 15:22   #395

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
This confuses the ordinary cruiser like me and I have simply highlighted what I have discovered through researching wether I have a safe anchor or not, and hopefully through sharing, others could benefit. We need a positive resolve on this - not a continuous negativity that leads nowhere.
Glad your anchor was manufactured outside of China. The positive resolve you ask for is entirely dependant on Rocna's reaction, and to date, it has been very strangely quiet.

There have been retailers that have acted in a very responsible corporate manner towards returns, however, the manufacturer isn't saying boo.

Quote:
Of one thing I am sure - now is probably the time I would be wanting to buy a new manufacture Rocna - hey - these guys cannot afford to screw this up again..... And for good measure ..... I think Rocna should discount.
Yes, it would be great to take a good design and have it manufactured properly. Better yet would be if the company selling a good design be credible and trustworthy.
Old 02-06-2011, 15:41   #396

Yes, it would be great to take a good design and have it manufactured properly. Better yet would be if the company selling a good design be credible and trustworthy.[/QUOTE]

This is true. Have you contacted them?
Old 02-06-2011, 16:15   #397

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
This is true. Have you contacted them?
Yes. I am waiting for the response promised. Then I will comment further.
Old 02-06-2011, 18:15   #398

Boat: Bristol 47.7

"This confuses the ordinary cruiser like me and I have simply highlighted what I have discovered through researching wether I have a safe anchor or not, and hopefully through sharing, others could benefit. We need a positive resolve on this - not a continuous negativity that leads nowhere."

AGREED! But what was your research? Given all the metallurgy tests that have been posted, are you just taking their word for it?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 20:30   #399
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

"being lead by the nose" is not a new thing in this forum, even for anchors. There was a thread "If you could only choose one anchor" http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-10513-29.html it was more of a comparision/advertisement for nex-gen anchors and the following debate became an agressive defene of nex-gen anchors. Where I live the
90'+ schooners that sail out of here carry a bruse and a Forfjord (or David Sea hook), most of the next-gen anchors are on shiny new boats that never leave thier slip.
Old 02-06-2011, 20:54   #400
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rocna Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
"being lead by the nose" is not a new thing in this forum, even for anchors. There was a thread "If you could only choose one anchor" http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-10513-29.html it was more of a comparision/advertisement for nex-gen anchors and the following debate became an agressive defene of nex-gen anchors. Where I live the
90'+ schooners that sail out of here carry a bruse and a Forfjord (or David Sea hook), most of the next-gen anchors are on shiny new boats that never leave thier slip.
Awww.... come on... how many folks have you met who've been screwed... and admitted it...
Put an edge on a Bruce and it'll dig as fast as a ROCNA...
Fashion... bend to the left...
Fashion... bend to the right...
David Bowie.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:35   #401

Impi, you say you have a 33kg that you purchased in South Africa.
Is it Chinese made unit with the name cast in the blade rear underside or a NZ one with no name cast in the blade?
When did you purchase it?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:01   #402
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
most of the next-gen anchors are on shiny new boats that never leave thier slip.
Hmm, wonder what planet you live on?

My observation from Florida and the Bahamas is that buyers of the so- called next-gen anchors are folks who take their cruising and their safety seriously.

Being on the water front in Fort Laudedale I have seen 1000s of crusing boats come and go, usually transitting from North to South, and some starting and some ending their circumnavigation. Not any shiny new boats that never leave their slip: Many worn long distance boats with next-gen anchors instead
Old 03-06-2011, 04:14   #403

I dont much about all this but to avoid all the confusion I bought a manson s and my anchor is usually wet
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:44   #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinextreme
Impi, you say you have a 33kg that you purchased in South Africa.
Is it Chinese made unit with the name cast in the blade rear underside or a NZ one with no name cast in the blade?
When did you purchase it?
I ordered it last year and it never arrived for months .......
I eventually got the delivery a few months ago. Apparently - the hold up was in fact due to Rocna holding back on shipments and remanufacture.

I will have to go and take a closer look at my anchor but there are no markings I have seen.

The supplier in Cape Town is a very well known guy and I trust and rely on his integrity a lot. He leaves no stone unturned if it would affect his business reputation which is why i always buy my gear through him (even when i source products directly, i always pay a small fee to have the purchase come to me viz his outlet). I have communicated directly with him and had both him and Rocna involved. I cannot say if it is due to his reputation that Rocna have been communicating with me, but I must say that they have not hesitated to be involved - which is why I have been somewhat sceptical of some of the comments on this thread.

For me ..... At the end of the day ...... I have not skimped one bit on buying the best there is when it comes to the safety of my family........ Which is why I've been really concerned about this whole affair!

Regards
Old 03-06-2011, 07:14   #405
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Hmm, wonder what planet you live on?

My observation from Florida and the Bahamas is that buyers of the so- called next-gen anchors are folks who take their cruising and their safety seriously.

Being on the water front in Fort Laudedale I have seen 1000s of crusing boats come and go, usually transitting from North to South, and some starting and some ending their circumnavigation. Not any shiny new boats that never leave their slip: Many worn long distance boats with next-gen anchors instead
Same here. The dockside condo boats are the ones with fancy stainless steel anchors, undersized CQRs or Danforths and such. Just about every next gen anchor I see on boats looks like it spends a good bit of time in the water.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rocna