Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 12:41   #406

Re: Rocna Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
I ordered it last year and it never arrived for months .......
I eventually got the delivery a few months ago. Apparently - the hold up was in fact due to Rocna holding back on shipments and remanufacture.

I will have to go and take a closer look at my anchor but there are no markings I have seen.

The supplier in Cape Town is a very well known guy and I trust and rely on his integrity a lot. He leaves no stone unturned if it would affect his business reputation which is why i always buy my gear through him (even when i source products directly, i always pay a small fee to have the purchase come to me viz his outlet). I have communicated directly with him and had both him and Rocna involved. I cannot say if it is due to his reputation that Rocna have been communicating with me, but I must say that they have not hesitated to be involved - which is why I have been somewhat sceptical of some of the comments on this thread.

For me ..... At the end of the day ...... I have not skimped one bit on buying the best there is when it comes to the safety of my family........ Which is why I've been really concerned about this whole affair!

Regards

Your passion for defence is admirable.

It will be a Chinese one and it would test out at the same as the others tested on this , and other, forums.

If you are happy with that then you can sleep easy Impi.

It is still one of the best DESIGNS there is available, however as you may have missed, this discussion has been about the DESIGN meeting the DESIGNER"S specifications and also meeting the specifications that certification was based on ( as they claimed, and still do, to have).

If it does bend then I guess you can say that you made the correct decision based on tyhe assurances you received from Steve Bambury and collect your refund as others are doing, and buy another one.

At least you have made up your own mind.
Old 16-06-2011, 17:30   #407

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

It would seem that Rocna's response to being outed on the strength of their steel has been to simply lower the bar. They have gone from claiming to be stronger than the competition to being strong enough.
News » Rocna Anchors
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 17:48   #408

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

wow.... talk about a credibility problem!

That resolves it, Manson it is. I was seriously wondering which one to go for, so unless Rocna comes up with a serious discount, meaning significantly less then Manson, I would not even consider them.

Let's see, how many years did it take Ford to recover from "our Pinto gas tanks don't explode"?
Old 16-06-2011, 17:59   #409

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35

You people are too funny, has an anchor ever just exploded? I'm pretty sure the anchor would come loose, the chain would break, or the windlass would snap way before the shank on the anchor would pull apart.

But hey... lets keep beating this dead horse
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 18:08   #410

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So I take it you have no problems supporting any company that misrepresents the quality of material it produces its items with?

You and I live in different worlds as far as credibility is concerned. I deal with companies that do not misrepresent, do not obfuscate and do not attempt to suggest that their competition is not up to par.

Reputation, once tarnished, is very, very difficult to get back.
Old 16-06-2011, 18:59   #411

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
You people are too funny, has an anchor ever just exploded? I'm pretty sure the anchor would come loose, the chain would break, or the windlass would snap way before the shank on the anchor would pull apart.

But hey... lets keep beating this dead horse
Wait, they can explode?! I thought the Pinto reference wasn't supposed to be so literal!

It's not about the anchor breaking, it's about it bending, which has happened. Once bent, the anchor won't set properly, or reset in a shift.

It's also about credibility and a lot of other things. The company said that it is critical to their design that it be really strong. Then they made them weaker. Now they're saying it wasn't so critical after all. Some of us have lost that warm fuzzy feeling.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 22:08   #412

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Lol... still the best anchor and for the last two weeks it has been holding me happily off a nasty lee shore.......in amongst lots of reef..... and believe it or not... it still hasn't exploded... or bent...........I LOVE MY ROCNA!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 22:23   #413

Boat: Trismus 37

I also love MY Rocna,Made in NZ! best holding anchor I have ever had. Do I have faith in Rocna now, not since it passed into other hands, and all the above has happened, made too strong, NEVER!!!
Re the test results showing Rocna way out front and Manson in the middle of the pack, one must ask which Manson, CQR copy, bruce copy, or any of the other ones they manufacture, I'm sure it wasn't a Supreme as that would have been at least equal. Just another distortation they are using to slant the tests their way, dishonest, in my book, yes. But then what is new, Poor Peter, i'm sure he didn't need this type of crap discrediting his originally good design and build quality.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 04:54   #414

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

A bit ironic that in that photo on the new Rocna news page, showing the 28.7 ton straight-line pull, the shank is twisted like a pretzel. Now . . . I suppose some part of the anchor had to deform first under such a load. But still, just kinda funny. I wonder if they did any side-load testing while they were at it.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 05:35   #415

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
So I take it you have no problems supporting any company that misrepresents the quality of material it produces its items with?

You and I live in different worlds as far as credibility is concerned. I deal with companies that do not misrepresent, do not obfuscate and do not attempt to suggest that their competition is not up to par.

I tend to not get so emotional.

I like anchors that set fast and don't move, all the drama after that I'm not interested in.

My anchor was built in Canada (not sure if that matters) and seems to be much strong built than the CQR that held the boat since 1979.
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 06:55   #416

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Actually I believe in what i have seen and experienced a lot more than what I have " Heard " others say.... I f we all believed everything we heard about reputation probably none of us should be boat owners...... as every single persons opinion about everything to do with sailing is always so different. Like I said... Rocna now for nearly 3 years of anchoring a big cat in trade winds without 1 single mishap :LAst night 35 knots..... anchor held fast in mud I slept great....... Fantastic product... let the smear campaign continue as hopefully i'll be able to get more of the fantastic anchors cheap off people that listen to this type of stuff.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 07:16   #417

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Could this be the anchor version of Weinergate? Lots of pix, but no nookie!

Seriously, guys, it's not about the anchor. It's about the false claims and the habit of slagging the competition. The Rocna is still not a bad anchor, and if you have one, by all means enjoy it. It's still likely better than the CQR it replaced, due to design. But on the basis of materials, it's not as good, apparently, as claimed.

For some, that's a disqualification. For others, it's an opportunity to buy at a discount.

I would ask those people, however: Do you look for "bargains" in harnesses, tethers, PFDs, parachutes, dock lines, fire extinguishers, seatbelts and airbags?

S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 07:17   #418

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Oh an anchor thread

Just bought a new one myself. They had some chinese made ones in the chandlers but chose this instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
For some, that's a disqualification. For others, it's an opportunity to buy at a discount.
Well, they do sell Rocna's too, but the price has only gone up in recent months.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fortress.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	28634  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 07:22   #419

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

My Rocna is the best anchor I have ever owned, it's just not the anchor I paid for.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 08:39   #420

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
I tend to not get so emotional.

I like anchors that set fast and don't move, all the drama after that I'm not interested in.

My anchor was built in Canada (not sure if that matters) and seems to be much strong built than the CQR that held the boat since 1979.
Built in Canada or in NZ is HUGE, it matters! Those anchors WERE built to spec, it is the ones built in China that were not, and now Rocna is admitting that.

Great design, but the materials now used were not the original ones speced and the ones that Rocna, until this past week, were saying they were using.

Tags
anchor, rocna