Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2011, 05:38   #316

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Rocna Size

"fit for purpose"
"no evidence from real-life anchor use"
"meet requirements"

so begins the legalese, the wiggling and the weaseling. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 05:50   #317

Boat: Beneteau 393

Anyone in the Chesapeake area wanting to offload their Rocna for cheaper than I can get a new Manson Supreme please shoot me an PM. I'd consider the 20 or 25 kg models. I'm in the Deale, MD area...

Thanks!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 21:53   #318

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

In a response to an email I sent Western Marine wondering if they were aware of the issues that surrounded the independent metallurgical tests and if they had any position with regards to that, I just got the followoing response:

We have forwarded this email to our Technical/Product Advice Operations Team for review and resolution. Someone will be contacting you very soon. Thank you again.

I suspect I will get an answer based on others who have had a positive experience, and I can understand that they need to get their ducks in a row.

However, I will be following up.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 22:19   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Anyone in the Chesapeake area wanting to offload their Rocna for cheaper than I can get a new Manson Supreme please shoot me an PM. ...
I can't see why anyone would want to do that.
If they have a faulty one then, under the terms of the Warranty, they can get a full refund through the retailer.
Nice try though.
Silent Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 23:03   #320
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Who ever can afford one of these super high tech ultra light wieght anchors can probably also afford a windlass, something all cruising sailors should have anyway. Light weight anchors are compared to "old school/proven" anchors in terms of holding power per pound of anchor that do not include the weight of chain or take into consideration the bottom conditions. I use a Bruce and CQR (both 22lbs) and a 45 lb Davis "Sea Hook" (looks like a Forjfort) as a storm anchor, with 300' of chain and/or 200' of rode w/ 25' of chain. If the the holding power of the Ponca is as good as it is said to be then you would need a windlass to break it free anyway. When you figure in holding power compared to size instead of weight then the Ronca takes up more deck space.
Old 21-05-2011, 06:52   #321

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Evans,

Great post. As both a Rocna and Manson Supreme owner I can personally confirm that these anchors have performed identically for me and I have never found or said otherwise. These two anchors have been the best performing anchors I have ever used and I own MANY anchors including other "new gens" like the Spade.
Have you found the Rocna and Manson to be better than the Spade?

This has now become a highly relevant question, as after Rocna's self-destruct act, anchor choice now comes down to Manson vs. Spade rather than Manson vs. Rocna.

I had a Spade on my old boat and always felt it performed better than the Rocna on my present boat. It set much more sharply, while the Rocna requires more patient digging in, setting more like old gen anchors (albeit, setting very reliably and holding perfectly every time).

But I can't say for sure whether this means anything -- different boat, different chain, different place. I now have 100 meters of 12mm chain, and I think possibly the sheer weight of the chain dampens the sensation of the anchor biting in sharply.

What has your experience with the Spade been?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 07:05   #322

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Or, more pertinent to this discussion, how does the strength of the Spade's shank compare to a Rocna? And, how do other anchors out there compare, particularly the Delta, which is also made in China and with a shank that has a very similar profile to the Rocna? Of course the ultimate question is whether or not these differences in shank strength really mean anything in real-world anchoring situations. As Evans has pointed out there appear to be a few bent Rocnas appearing, but there are lots of examples of other anchor brands bending too. I see them on boats and around boatyards all the time. Maybe a better solution is to use two anchors if you're expecting a dramatic wind shift.
Old 21-05-2011, 07:24   #323

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Talked to both shops where i live yesterday... Rocna Anchors outselling the others by about 2 to 1 at the moment. I guess we have really hurt them with this thread ... at least where I live!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 07:25   #324

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Or, more pertinent to this discussion, how does the strength of the Spade's shank compare to a Rocna? And, how do other anchors out there compare, particularly the Delta, which is also made in China and with a shank that has a very similar profile to the Rocna? Of course the ultimate question is whether or not these differences in shank strength really mean anything in real-world anchoring situations. As Evans has pointed out there appear to be a few bent Rocnas appearing, but there are lots of examples of other anchor brands bending too. I see them on boats and around boatyards all the time. Maybe a better solution is to use two anchors if you're expecting a dramatic wind shift.
The Spade is a more elaborately constructed and finished article than either Rocna or Manson, and is more expensive. I believe the shank is made of high tensile steel, and I have never heard of one bending (some flukes fell off, however, from fallen off bolts). Rocna says the shank is a common failure point, and that 800 mpa steel is crucial. I have no reason to doubt them, and for that reason I'm planning to return mine.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 09:05   #325

I expect one of the reasons for Rocna's relative silence is that they are sorta busy with more than a tornado. By now the distributors - including West Marine - would probably have put into action whatever procedure is specified in their distribution contracts for this kind of problem.

I have no idea what's in the agreement, but I would imagine it allows West to demand that funds be wired to them to cover the possible return of every Rocna anchor West has ever sold.

Just a guess

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 09:24   #326

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Well, I have a brand new 25kg Rocna sitting in my garage, awaiting fitting. I think I will keep it and see how this all plays out.
In reality, I will probably destroy something on the boat before the anchor would bend !
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 09:42   #327

Boat: Sabre 28

"In reality, I will probably destroy something on the boat before the anchor would bend !"

According to numbers Grant posted in another forum if the shank were to 450mpa it would take about 1000 pounds of sideways pull on the shank to bend it. If it were to 800mpa spec it is about 1650 pounds.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:37   #328

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I still do not believe I have seen anyone address the issue of whether or not the difference in hardness would make a significant difference in the actual strength of the anchor in real world use.
Apparently hardness has a linear relationship to tensile strength and is therefore a good test of ultimate strength. I suspect that what you, and I as a Rocna owner, would like to know is, are the anchors suitable for use in the real world as opposed to the test bench. According to Rocna's literature they are not, but it looks like Rocna is now backing off of their previous position and switching to a "fit for purpose" standard and in the near future they will claim that they are suitable and they didn’t really mean it when they said that shanks need to be high grade, high tensile steel. In the end they probably are "fit for purpose" and I still feel comfortable on my anchor, but I am feeling very uncomfortable about how much I paid for it and the disingenuous way that Rocna represents their anchors.

A comparison of different anchors under side load would be very interesting. I would like to see how the Rocna compares to the Manson, Spade and Buegel, as well as the Claw and Delta. Looking at the shaft on my old Danforth 3000 hi-tensile I can’t imagine it would take much to bend it.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 13:18   #329

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I still do not believe I have seen anyone address the issue of whether or not the difference in hardness would make a significant difference in the actual strength of the anchor in real world use.
Good point, and one that initially caused me to hesitate swapping out my newly-purchased (made in China) Rocna 33 as well. With so much uncertainty, however, and in the absence of any credible or timely response from Rocna, it was a no-brainer to swap it out for a known-quantity that has great reports from the field, and apparently no controversy over its specs, namely a Manson. For all I know, my Rocna would have worked just fine, and I suppose it may still be possible this company is being unfairly maligned. When given an opportunity, however, I always try and follow the ethos of the prudent mariner. There are too many things that can and do go wrong with boat systems that we otherwise cannot control.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 14:17   #330

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I expect one of the reasons for Rocna's relative silence is that they are sorta busy with more than a tornado. By now the distributors - including West Marine - would probably have put into action whatever procedure is specified in their distribution contracts for this kind of problem.

I have no idea what's in the agreement, but I would imagine it allows West to demand that funds be wired to them to cover the possible return of every Rocna anchor West has ever sold.

Just a guess

Carl
Actually the distributors don't care. They sell the anchor, make the profit ... after that point the warranty goes straight to Rocna ..... Also how many anchors do you think have been taken back? Like thousands? Hmmm maybe 3 in total... all of them the guy who did the test....Virtually no one else here with a Rocna seems to be running to take it back. I think this whole thread is blown out of proportion..... No one that walks into West marine to buy an anchor cares... If West marine or any other distributor did, they would have removed the anchors from sale... but no... still there and still selling...... Sooooo I imagine Rocna is quiet because this has not affected their sales in the slightest. Just my opinion but I think you think that this has had a massive effect on their sales... Like i said... last week the two shops in my area sold twice as any Rocna anchors as any other brand..... and 1 of the 2 had just placed a pretty large new order. The positive word of mouth about these anchors continues on through this thread and virtually every Rocna owner will let you know how good these anchors are...... I think that this type of review will far outweigh this discussion. I say it again... By FAR the best anchor I have... or have ever owned.... Love it! My anchor held through a hurricane.... 150 knots..... nope the shaft didn't bend...... and the boat was in the middle of it all....... BEST ANCHOR on the market!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rocna