Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2011, 04:55   #151
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 617
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Just received a new rocna 110
west marine said there is no problem.
was shipped from Canada.
Should be non Chinese batch.
How could I tell?
thx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	34256  
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 07:04   #152
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post

Now who is kidding whom??? You paid $732 US for a 44# Rocna and I paid $688 for an 80# Manson Supreme??? Heck even without a sale price, the 80# Manson can be had for $750 US.
I think I got the best deal ever


__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 07:17   #153
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK/France
Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Posts: 462
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
Just received a new rocna 110
west marine said there is no problem.
was shipped from Canada.
Should be non Chinese batch.
How could I tell?
thx
I think they've all been made in China for the last three years.
If it's of recent manufacture then it will NOT be the sub-standard 420Mpa steel that's been the cause of the emotive threads on various forums. I'm sure you can take West Marine at their word.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 07:21   #154
Registered User
 
Cormorant's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Catskill Mountains when not cruising
Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Posts: 2,100
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
Should be non Chinese batch.
How could I tell?
thx
Might be interesting to give Delfin's nail-punch test a try.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 07:24   #155
Registered User
 
GeoPowers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS
Boat: Beneteau 393
Posts: 954
Images: 27
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Nice!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 12:23   #156
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 82
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
Just received a new rocna 110
west marine said there is no problem.
was shipped from Canada.
Should be non Chinese batch.
How could I tell?
thx
It will be chinese and certainly looks like it from enlarging the photo.

They are all shipped from china to Suncoast in Canada for distribution.

Even in mid 2010 they were still 420 and were laminated shanks, edge welded and ground back.

Nail punch it on the flat of the shank and you will soon get a fair indication of what it is made of.

The certification drawings approved for the 110kg specified Bis80 precisely and the much touted seabed tests for certification undertaken in NZ in December 2008 used a NZ made Bis80 shanked 110kg model.

You obviously have a large vessel for this size anchor and if it requires a certified anchor then you need to ask very serious questions as these are not safe in these bigger sizes if they are not of the required standard of shank.

If anything does happen and your insurance company investigates and you have not fully satisfied yourself as to the strength of your anchor then unfortunately they will gladly decline any claim you make as you are obviously aware of the various discussions and twisted announcements surrounding the shank materials and risk factors.

If you are still prepared to take it at face value then you at least should obtain a guarantee from the distributors for potential loss in the future, however there is more at risk that just property.
__________________
Grant King
marinextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 13:18   #157
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cruising NC, FL, Bahamas, TCI & VIs
Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Posts: 1,531
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo View Post
Hi Colemi.

There were approx six photo's posted on a forum quite some time back,they should be tracable but I have better thing s to do with my time.....
Try this; Rocna Anchor Fail!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 18:12   #158
Registered User
 
Therapy's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: 28 yo Jon boat still
Posts: 7,048
Images: 4
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I think I got the best deal ever

Nice!
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 20:44   #159
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,012
Images: 4
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Would look good on a Flicka, for a leeshore.....

......just sayin'
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 20:50   #160
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,132
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
You know, one thing no one has mentioned...judging by all the bent shanks, you have to admit the holding power of the Rocna is pretty damn good.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 20:52   #161
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 713
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

So Grant, what sort of margin was Rocna making when it sold those 420 anchors?
olaf hart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 20:52   #162
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Would look good on a Flicka, for a leeshore.....

......just sayin'
And heres a picture

__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 22:00   #163
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cruising NC, FL, Bahamas, TCI & VIs
Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Posts: 1,531
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You know, one thing no one has mentioned...judging by all the bent shanks, you have to admit the holding power of the Rocna is pretty damn good.
Sure, nearly as good as a Manson Supreme, but then the Manson has a proper shank...
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 22:11   #164
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittwater, Sydney
Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Posts: 1,000
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

They could have a competition at Boat Shows - see if anyone can actually tell the difference between the holding capacity of a Supreme and Rocna. Ignoring the fact that 50% ought get it right. And ignoring the fact that if you ask Rocna you will get a specially tuned anchor. Buit I do not think any yachtsman could tell the difference, except you have a more relaxed sleep with a Supreme, and (from all reports) you probably will not have paid as much (for the Supreme).
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 18:02   #165
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 617
Re: Rocna Recall - China vs Canada Quality Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinextreme View Post
It will be chinese and certainly looks like it from enlarging the photo.

They are all shipped from china to Suncoast in Canada for distribution.

Even in mid 2010 they were still 420 and were laminated shanks, edge welded and ground back.

Nail punch it on the flat of the shank and you will soon get a fair indication of what it is made of.

The certification drawings approved for the 110kg specified Bis80 precisely and the much touted seabed tests for certification undertaken in NZ in December 2008 used a NZ made Bis80 shanked 110kg model.

You obviously have a large vessel for this size anchor and if it requires a certified anchor then you need to ask very serious questions as these are not safe in these bigger sizes if they are not of the required standard of shank.

If anything does happen and your insurance company investigates and you have not fully satisfied yourself as to the strength of your anchor then unfortunately they will gladly decline any claim you make as you are obviously aware of the various discussions and twisted announcements surrounding the shank materials and risk factors.

If you are still prepared to take it at face value then you at least should obtain a guarantee from the distributors for potential loss in the future, however there is more at risk that just property.
I gave it a little wack with my leatherman marlin spike - left a little indent.
Emailed Rocna - they confirmed it to be the "steel called for in the manufacturing specifications".
I believe them - but then again I believe a lot of things...

where is the "nail punch" post? - I looked everywhere...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Canada, China, recall, rocna

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rocna Size Captain Randy Anchoring & Mooring 601 22-09-2011 19:48
New West Marine Recall on Rocna Anchors webejammin Anchoring & Mooring 116 05-09-2011 11:17

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:18.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.