Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2011, 18:27   #1

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Rocna Anchor Fail

I posted this on Sailfar, but thought you might like to take a look at it here also....

The 'new generation' anchors are great, but have done nothing to quell the long standing debate over which one is best.... here are CF, we have discussed this many times and listened as the 'reps' did their best to cast doubt on the other day....

The truth is anchoring has more to do with proper seamanship then the bit of metal at the end of the rode.

I bought my Manson Supreme in 2006 (IIRC) and have had outstanding service from it.... it has never dragged.... even through a hurricane.

When I bought my Manson, I also looked at the Rocna. Both were then made in New Zealand and were very similar in appearance. I do not doubt that either would have been a good choice (at the time) but the Rocna was more expensive.... and the Manson had Lloyds certification so I went with the Manson Supreme.....

Over the years, I have followed the discussion and frankly some of the marketing was ugly... it was more mud slinging then fact, and Rocna seemed to be the most active in the slinging... I grew less and less pleased with the marketing.

A while back Rocna moved their production to China, I was skeptical (I know China has produced many questionable products, and would not recommend using Chinese steel in such an important component as my ground tackle.

Some photos surfaced of rusty Rocnas (with apparent galvanization issues) and others of Rocna's with bent shanks (after Rocna reps slammed Manson for much less significant bending).

A third party (excellent poster known as Main Sail) challenged Rocna to test their anchor;s construction... the declined to participate so an off the shelf Rocna was tested against an off the shelf Manson Supreme and....

Well Manson just paid for some independent testing, to see if Rocna could live up to their claims of being superior.

Quote:
The Manson Challenge To Rocna

"If you would please bring down your anchor, we can test it on our calibrated and certified test jig. We have tested it against ours. We have videoed those tests. However in the interests of posting something that you will not say is made up, I welcome you to come here and we will video your face as we do the tests so the readers can see what eating your words after years of misinformation looks like.

Put up or shut up Craig. Any time you would like to test your anchor we are here. Any time."

Last edited by Maine Sail; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:50 AM.

The tests results are here.

I have long not been a fan of Rocna, but would absolutely not feel comfortable recommending one based on the this and the discussion else where... I will not post the link but if you google;

"Manson vs Rocna Test anything sailing". (warning, 17 pages long!)

You can find it.

For those with old (pre-china) Rocna's you are probably ok... but I would not buy one of the Chinese ones now. (one Sailors opinion)
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-04-2011, 19:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Rocna anchor Fail!

well in all fairness to the anchor,to bend the shank like that the anchor must have exccelent holding power
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-04-2011, 19:20   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

anybody can bend a shank.

the question, to me, is not as much about how the shank bent, but how the manufacturer dealt with it.

some manufacturers extend a lifetime warranty in the incidence of a bent shank.
Old 19-04-2011, 19:22   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
well in all fairness to the anchor,to bend the shank like that the anchor must have excellent holding power
Oh the bent shank was not the issue (although Rocna beat on Manson forever with a picture of a bent manson)... the real issue is the independent (destructive) testing of the steel of the Chinese Rocnas.

They claimed they were stronger, the testing shows they were significantly weaker and poorly cast....

Rocna has got some 'spalinin' to do....
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-04-2011, 19:54   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Good God, we must have really run out of worthwhile topics here.
Old 19-04-2011, 20:05   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Rocna has got some 'spalinin' to do....
No - please god no
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-04-2011, 20:18   #7

In on page 1. Please PM for me great advertising rates on prime first page real estate ty.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-04-2011, 20:56   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Good God, we must have really run out of worthwhile topics here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
No - please god no

Oh come on!!

It's like a trainwreck you see coming, if it really bothers you that much turn away and don't watch.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-04-2011, 21:14   #9

I just wanna get in before the thread's locked to say that if we all had an old-fashioned time-honoured never-fail admirality (fisherman's) anchor on the bow rather than a new fancy 'scientifically-proven' thingo then we'd all live happily ever after.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-04-2011, 21:27   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
In on page 1. Please PM for me great advertising rates on prime first page real estate ty.
What am I missing in this post?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-04-2011, 21:34   #11
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
What am I missing in this post?
The joke?

; -)

in anticipation of large viewing numbers and colourful flame wars he has 'taken' a prime spot and is willing to 'lease it out' for advertising, or thread responses.

However on this thread the light at the end of the tunnel is NOT the train comin... it's my gimlet eye * -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-04-2011, 21:42   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
I just wanna get in before the thread's locked to say that if we all had an old-fashioned time-honoured never-fail admirality (fisherman's) anchor on the bow rather than a new fancy 'scientifically-proven' thingo then we'd all live happily ever after.

or even better a bugle
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-04-2011, 21:46   #13

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Uh, I may be a bit slow but can someone explain the documents linked above.
Thanks,
Erika

PS
I do not think this is a waste of time. IF there is a glaring weakness, I think this forum is the exact place to air it.

PSS
Full disclosure, I have a Manson 45.
Old 19-04-2011, 23:27   #14

Boat: Pearson 281

Good on Manson and any number of other NZ companies for keeping New Zealanders at work! Not the first time we have seen this issue with companies changing the source for their anchors. You'd think these guys would figure it out...can you say oversight?
I'm staying with my funky tough old school hooks just like so many others here who earn a living on the water. Besides... can't afford to make the switch, would keep me in harbor for another month to buy one. "I said a- no no no!"
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-04-2011, 02:04   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Rocna Anchor Fail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
I know China has produced many questionable products, and would not recommend using Chinese steel in such an important component as my ground tackle.
Okay that's a personal opinion, but have you been to China? I have, I lived there for a year. the Chinese factories will make what ever you want, to what ever standard and quality control you desire. All you have to do is pay for it. So personally I disagree with your recommendation.

It would be interesting to see what the results would be if Rocna paid for independant testing one of there anchors and some Mansons

Statistics, well as you know they can be made to say anything you like.

You bought a Manson, so I am not sure how you can comment on a Rocna. If you had bought a Rocna and then stated that during the last 5 years it had failed because............ then that would be worthwhile intel. By the same token if you say your Manson hasn't let you down in 5 years that is also useful to know.

However, a witch hunt against Rocna across the internet sailing forums, I am not sure that sits well with my desire for fair play and a level playing field.

Finally, if you don't want a rusty lump of metal as an anchor and want one that the manufacturer has proven they will honour any warranty regardless of age (chat to Ram), I suggest you buy one of the new generation Fortress

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
anchor, rocna