Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2023, 08:04   #61
Registered User
 
SV__Grace's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch
Posts: 794
Images: 5
Re: Rocna 55 (121lb) vs Mantus M1 (125lb)

The original Rocna changed my life when it was first introduced as it set easily and fast every time and held like the dickens.

Later moved up to a larger boat with a bowsprit roller we switched to the Vulcan (recently introduced at the time with zero user reviews so we took a chance) as the roll bar wouldn't fit of the original Rocna Very different anchor- can be finicky to set (absolutely requires 5:1 scope before dragging or will skip on the surface) but held us through many gales and we trusted it 100% once set.

Following the tests of Panope, Practical Sailor, Morgan's Cloud and others the data seems to be favoring losing the roll bar as it is prone to fouling, especially upon resets, which might be rare, but makes sense and my priority is to sleep well at night by maximizing safety and performance and minimizing risk.

Based upon the test data and recommendations from the above, including our beloved Panope, losing the roll bar is prudent, and the two best rated non-roll bar anchors are Excel and Spade. So of course I had to have them both and love 'em as I get the experience I had with the first Rocna- they both set fast, easily and reliably every time (given a decent bottom).
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:48   #62
Marine Service Provider
 
pbmaise's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Langkawi, Malaysia
Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Posts: 1,123
Re: Rocna 55 (121lb) vs Mantus M1 (125lb)

I suggest thinking a bit long term...one of these anchors is far more easily regalvanized.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 09:40   #63
Registered User
 
Tsailor46's Avatar

Join Date: May 2017
Location: New Bern, NC
Boat: previously Hunter 36.. now Carver 466 MY
Posts: 8
Re: Rocna 55 (121lb) vs Mantus M1 (125lb)

At the risk of stirring up bottom mud on things here,



Reco, also check out vikinganchors.com



They build a really nice HT steel product also, and their outstanding performance has been borne out multiple times in SV Panope testing also... at price points south of Mantus options, to boot.



Just sayin
Tsailor46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 13:00   #64
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 81
Re: Rocna 55 (121lb) vs Mantus M1 (125lb)

The 4 bolts on the Mantus are EACH strong enough to hold past the point where your chain would likely break.
I normally anchor our PSC 34 with a 35# CQR on 5/16 G40 chain. (It has never dragged except once in Luperůn when it fouled on about 10í of chain someone left on the bottom. Of course, since we were in the process of backing down after deploying the anchor, we realized it wasnít set, pulled it up, unfouled it, and it set perfectly on the next try. So, Iím not interested in ďCQRs suckĒ comments or debates.)
That said, our storm anchor is a 65# Mantus. It fits on our bow roller just fine and for 3 hurricane seasons in Grenada itís sat there waiting to be deployed if our mooring failed in a storm, or if we had to cast off the mooring to get out of the way of a dragging boat and were unable to go back and pick up the mooring. (Much easier to deploy the anchor than pick up a bouy in a heavy blow with waves.)
The advantage for us of the Mantus, compared to a comparably sized Rocna, is the ability to disassemble it and stow the pieces. It only takes a few minutes to put it together snd torque the bolts down, but that time is if no consequence since we would have it together and ready to go before conditions deteriorated to the point it was needed.
In summary, I am convinced that the Mantus anchors are every bit as durable as their similarly sized Rocna cousins.
When it comes time to replace our 35# CQR, or when the mood strikes me, I will in all probability replace it with a Mantus.
carlwk3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 15:38   #65
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Boston
Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Posts: 1,354
Re: Rocna 55 (121lb) vs Mantus M1 (125lb)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
The original Rocna changed my life when it was first introduced as it set easily and fast every time and held like the dickens.

Later moved up to a larger boat with a bowsprit roller we switched to the Vulcan (recently introduced at the time with zero user reviews so we took a chance) as the roll bar wouldn't fit of the original Rocna Very different anchor- can be finicky to set (absolutely requires 5:1 scope before dragging or will skip on the surface) but held us through many gales and we trusted it 100% once set.

Following the tests of Panope, Practical Sailor, Morgan's Cloud and others the data seems to be favoring losing the roll bar as it is prone to fouling, especially upon resets, which might be rare, but makes sense and my priority is to sleep well at night by maximizing safety and performance and minimizing risk.

Based upon the test data and recommendations from the above, including our beloved Panope, losing the roll bar is prudent, and the two best rated non-roll bar anchors are Excel and Spade. So of course I had to have them both and love 'em as I get the experience I had with the first Rocna- they both set fast, easily and reliably every time (given a decent bottom).
I've put a Maine cruising season on a 110lb Excel and a 121lb Vulcan each. They were both really good as far as I could tell. I didn't notice a large difference in setting performance. They both had one or two sets where I could drag during power setting, so I re-anchored. My gut feel is that the Vulcan sets slightly better. I got the Vulcan because its short shank fit my boat better, so I hope that when I head south next fall it continues to impress in tropical sand.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:08   #66
Registered User

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 339
Re: Rocna 55 (121lb) vs Mantus M1 (125lb)

Between the two I would choose the one that isnt bolted together. Otherwise, choose the one that works best in the bottom you will be anchoring in. There is no such thing as one anchor doing it best in all bottoms.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 12:20   #67
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Boat: Alubat, Cigale 16, 53í
Posts: 62
Re: Rocna 55 (121lb) vs Mantus M1 (125lb)

After extensive research, I went with a one piece 88 lb. Sarca Excel, as the absolute BEST for my 22,000 pound empty 53 footer. These are made in Australia, and the import guys in Vancouver talked me down from going larger. I have a 176 lb. Lewmar Claw as the hurricane anchor. I recommend that you look at the Sarca Excel. Cheers!
Dr.No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 07:40   #68
Registered User
 
SV__Grace's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch
Posts: 794
Images: 5
Re: Rocna 55 (121lb) vs Mantus M1 (125lb)

We have the exact same anchor, Excel #8, which is two sizes up for our 38,000 lb/20 ton ketch.

Same guys tried to talk me out of upsizing but as a full time cruiser who lives on the hook I subscribe to the maxim that your primary bower should also be your storm anchor.

We've been using it for two full years now and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
After extensive research, I went with a one piece 88 lb. Sarca Excel, as the absolute BEST for my 22,000 pound empty 53 footer. These are made in Australia, and the import guys in Vancouver talked me down from going larger. I have a 176 lb. Lewmar Claw as the hurricane anchor. I recommend that you look at the Sarca Excel. Cheers!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 14:33   #69
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Montreal
Boat: Taswell 49
Posts: 53
Re: Rocna 55 (121lb) vs Mantus M1 (125lb)

Well this has been a very interesting and enlightening discussion. I am also pleased that regardless of all this intellectual and experiential pondering, I managed to chose a most appropriate anchor for my boat based on commonsense and a little research. I bought an M1 48kg/105lb anchor.
My Wind Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 05:47   #70
Registered User

Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Posts: 749
Re: Rocna 55 (121lb) vs Mantus M1 (125lb)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wind Lass View Post
Well this has been a very interesting and enlightening discussion. I am also pleased that regardless of all this intellectual and experiential pondering, I managed to chose a most appropriate anchor for my boat based on commonsense and a little research. I bought an M1 48kg/105lb anchor.

That is the exact same anchor and size we have used for the last three years and 9000 nm. Love it. We DID purchase the Mantus anchor roller as the one we had didn't fit the M-1 well.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 09:21   #71
Registered User
 
Shrew's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,133
Re: Rocna 55 (121lb) vs Mantus M1 (125lb)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
A bit confusing... did you mean to write Manson or Mantus?
Apologies for the confusion, I think I accidentally over edited.

I have had extensive experience with:

Mantus
Manson Supreme
Rocna Vulcan
Rocna Traditional (rollbar).

The mantus is the dinghy anchor, which I use on a 13 foot skiff (approx. 1,000lbs). It is identical to the M1. The Manson Supreme and Rocna Rollbar were on a 28 foot, 8,500 lb boat. The Rocna Vulcan on a 40 ft 22k lb boat.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Mantus, rocna

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spade 99lb vs 121lb on 25 ton Tayana 52 MyersVF Anchoring & Mooring 25 29-02-2020 10:43
Want To Buy: Rocna 25 (or trade for Rocna 20) Foggie303 General Classifieds (no boats) 0 24-01-2020 12:20
Mantus Anchor or Rocna ? Madagascar 2 Anchoring & Mooring 257 16-01-2019 09:03

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:20.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.