Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 09:13   #1

Boat: Seafarer36c
Rigging your own mooring pendent

In the Belize thread there is mention of diving down and rigging your own pendent. How would you do that so it would be safe? I would not want to tie off or just run a line through something on the bottom as you couldn't escape quickly or it would saw the line it two.
I hate moorings.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Rigging your own mooring pendent

They dive down to the mooring and attach their own line to the mooring on the bottom eye.

Use your own good line to replace the bad mooring connections from the mooring on up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mooring.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	64002  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:37   #3

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
Re: Rigging your own mooring pendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
In the Belize thread there is mention of diving down and rigging your own pendent. How would you do that so it would be safe? I would not want to tie off or just run a line through something on the bottom as you couldn't escape quickly or it would saw the line it two.
I hate moorings.
I made mentioned that I did that.. what I did was remove the secondary anchor from it's chain.. found a shackle in the boat spare parts that would just fit through the chain. I dinghy'd over the mooring base, dropped it in.. dove down.. shackled it to the chain right at the base (although I had to find a link that it would fit on.. I could have looped it through and shackled back to the secondary chain). Took the rode back to the boat, pulled it tight to get the rope off the bottom, and wrapped it off on a front side cleat. The chain part of the secondary was the only thing laying on the bottom so no worries about chaffing.

It would be easy to remove the line off the side cleat had I needed too. The way the wind was blowing there wasn't too much worry about things wrapping up.. and even if they did.. I slept good and could have unwound it in the morning.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, rigging