Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2022, 11:32   #1

Replacing Windlass Control

Hi all,
I have a Lofrans windlass with a "Quick" windlass control module. They are both operational, but the spiral cord is damaged and shows some wires through the rubber. Before I drop the money on a new control module, is the connector standard across units? The ones I find on Defender don't show the connection.
Thanks!
OTWMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 12:50   #2

Boat: Voyage 430
Re: Replacing Windlass Control

Buy some heat shrink, clean the cord, put the heat shrink it over the affected area (assuming bare metal isn't showing), shrink it, then wrap it with electric tape over there and call it good.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 13:40   #3

Boat: Nordic 44

Now is the time to think about going cordless. There are a lot of non marine inexpensive remote controls available. Most are selectable to provide either a single pulse or continuous contact while the button is pressed. You want the latter option and a two channel unit for up and down. Also get a spare transmitter so that when the battery goes dead in the first one you can grab the second one and then change the battery at your leisure.

It is so much more convenient to be able to walk around while operating the windlass that being confined to a small area. I have been doing this for the last 15 to 20 years. PM me for more details.

Then do what ThereAndBack recommends and keep it for backup,
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 14:34   #4

Boat: Voyage 430

Here is an example of one of the remote controls that stormalong proposes: https://www.amazon.com/AUTOUTLET-Rec...dp/B07CPRVW6Y/
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 13:12   #5

Thanks so much all! I'll take a look. I'm mostly single handing while my wife drinks wine, so walking around would make things a lot easier.
Smart to keep a spare. Thanks!
MM
OTWMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 15:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTWMedia View Post
Hi all,
I have a Lofrans windlass with a "Quick" windlass control module. They are both operational, but the spiral cord is damaged and shows some wires through the rubber. Before I drop the money on a new control module, is the connector standard across units? The ones I find on Defender don't show the connection.
Thanks!
No, different Quick models use different connectors, because different remotes use different numbers of wires. In every case, both male and female connectors are sold with the remote. A bit more wiring to do if they don't match, but nothing hard.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 15:28   #7

Boat: Leopard 39PC 42ft

We lost our Quick wired control in rough seas. ( long story). Quick makes a wireless version that we installed. Really like it. Not being tethered has made anchoring much easier.
IPMerritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass