Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 19:06   #1

removing chrome from bronze???

I am putting this on the anchor thread because it is an old chrome bronze chain pipe that looks like hell. I am not going to pay for re-chroming, so I would like to know if there is any reasonable way to remove the old flacky chrome without damaging the bronze fixture. Any ideas??? _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 19:42   #2

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: removing chrome from bronze???

remove from boat and soak for a few hours in muriatic acid. Muriatic acid is available from your local pool supply store for only a couple bucks. It may take longer if the chrome is heavily plated, but it will all disappear eventually. Be carful with the acid, do not get on concrete or yourself, wear rubber gloves, and wash completely with water.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 19:52   #3

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I had a similar issue a couple of years ago. I could not find anyway to strip the old finish without serious chemicals. IE not anything I could get my hands on. I was painting my boat and the 40+ years old anchor windlass, chain stop and chain pipe looked awful. I was near Milwaukee so searched chrome shops. I found several . The closest looked at my stuff and said he thought it might be nickel plated instead of chrome and if that was the case he couldn't strip it. I found a shop that does a lot of custom motorcycle stuff. I told them that I didn't need it polished to a show type finish and showed them the only areas I cared about any polishing at all. (Why waste money on polishing the chain gypsy or the bottom of the parts no one can see.) I told him I was price sensitive but in no hurry so they could run them when they had room with another batch. I dropped them off in the fall and told them to call me when the were ready. Any time before the end of March would be fine. He called the middle of Feb. It was around $150 for everything and looks great.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 19:57   #4

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

If it is chrome, muriatic acid will remove it. I have bought chromed parts that were not available in bronze and stripped them with no problem. The reality is, most items that are chrome plated are nickel plated first to create a bond for the chrome. try this, it is cheap and works.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 20:09   #5

I had cleaned up old bronze just using vinegar (mild acid) but thought that the chrome would take a strong enough acid to possibly damage the bronze. I think I will give the muriatic acid a try. I dont mind a nice even green, but this blotchy stuff looks ugly. Thanks, _____Grant.
Old 07-01-2017, 15:47   #6

I agree with all said, but with a few caveats. The first one is that muriatic acid is really very dangerous. Very dangerous. Leave a running hose nearby when using it. Long length rubber gloves, eye protection and also breathing apparatus. When the container is opened, the fumes alone will do permanent damage to your lungs and eyes so ensure there is a breeze from behind you. No children within sight.
Make sure the drainage to be used is suitable. Not into local streams etc.
I would suggest that for more details, go to the internet and gen up on the practices. The dilution ratios are important. When diluting, always add the acid to the water rather than the water to the acid. (in some dilution processes, sufficient heat is generated to cause boiling - the last thing you want with HCl. If there is any splashing when the mix pouring is done then splashed water is better than splashed acid.)

Chrome can also be removed using fine grit blasting techniques.. Check it out on the internet. Blasting will also remove any nickel. Muriatic acid may not.
No dangerous chemicals and a clean chemically passive surface with a uniform texture.

Many workshops have small blasters, and you won't be left with any remaining dangerous acid to store.

Chrome plating workshops also can put your stuff on heir cleaning/preparation lines.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 18:36   #7

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I took a chrome plated Perko 8" bell that looked rather shabby to a chrome plating shop. While the owner and I chatted, the fellows in the shop stripped the bell. They reverse plated it stripping off the chrome and underlying nickel. It took about 15 minutes and cost $25. I brought it home and polished it with sandpaper and on a wheel.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 16:44   #8

Well, I tried the muriatic acid and it was pretty much of a bust. 24 hours and the green areas now look like a nice dull bronze, but the chrome or what I think is the underlying nickle is just a dull dark shade. I have a small sand blaster so I may try that when the weather clears up, or I may just decide that there is beauty in function and ignore it. Just another of the endless projects. Thats boat life. _____Grant.
Old 08-01-2017, 17:03   #9

I had several items on my 43 old Tartan 43 that once had chrome on it including 2 prism light frames, and a CB winch , . I spray painted (spray can) them with a semi gloss grey paint. Someone thought my centrerboard winch was new. I didn't want to spend a lot to re-chrome. I also did 2 aluminum port frames which also look quite good.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 11:39   #10

Update___ I was looking at the chain pipe again and the remaining nickle plating looked loose in spots so I took a large powered cup brush and most of it flaked off easily. I used an old wood chisel to get some of it. I am going to leave it outside for a couple of weeks to see if there is any steel imbeded that might cause rust. If so , it goes back in the muriatic acid for a few hours. It is looking much better now. Dull green looks so much better than blotches. _____Grant.