Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2020, 04:41   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35
Removal of Quick windlass

I have water leaking in around my windlass into my forward cabin. I thought about removing and rebedding it. The problem is that I can't remove it. I believe the lower drive unit is supposed to slide down off the shaft. It must be corroded to the point where it just won't come off. I removed the 4 bolts holding it up, and have been able to get just enough room to squirt some PB Blaster onto the top part of the shaft, but still no luck with shaking and pulling and prying it down.

I can just get a tire iron slid in there, but I'm afraid to might break something if put too much pressure on it. Removing the shaft from the top would involve removing a watertight seal and I might never be able to get that back together.

Any tips for how to remove this? Should I give up and try to seal it from the outside instead of taking it off?

This is the type of windlass: https://www.quickusastore.com/wp-con...700w_1500w.pdf
pwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 05:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Removal of Quick windlass

Hmmm. Let's think this through. You can try sealing from the top, basically squeezing sealant into the cracks. But, the fact that it does not disassemble suggests that water is getting into the works. For the future, that problem needs to be tackled. My immediate thought is that solving, as opposed to stopping, the problem suggests that you disassemble the windlass, starting at the top. Eventually you would come to the spline connection between the top and the bottom, and have a much better chance of separating top from bottom.

Where do your thoughts go now?
Old 16-03-2020, 07:57   #3

The problem with coming from the top is that I would have to break this seal seen here (black around the shaft). Then get down inside to release a clip etc, I'm not sure it's even possible. And would i be able to get a new seal after I destroy it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 10.53.13 AM.png
Views:	532
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	210665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200316_100926 (2).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	210666  

Old 16-03-2020, 10:19   #4

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Hmmm.by the exploded view it looks like the snap ring holding the shaft from falling through is on top of the seal. Can it be removed and the shaft dropped down with the gear box?
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 10:56   #5

A lip seal costs a couple dollars and is availed at most auto parts stores

Half the reason you disassemble and service a winch is to replace this seal

It wears out and leaks
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 13:05   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Words of wisdom, Privleoplag and Slug. It's entirely possible that nothing is seized; you may be prying against a snap ring.

Broader note: It is possible to disassemble this mechanical device, after all, someone assembled it, and it was not designed to be impossible to service. So, go back to the exploded drawing and have at it.

If the oil seal needs replacing, find a new one in this catalog:

https://www.mcmaster.com/oil-seals

Remember, the manufacturer did not design and manufacture a propriatory oil seal. He took the right sized one off the shelf. He may want to charge you as if he is the only source, or he may be out of business, but you don't need to worry about never being able to replace it.

Good luck with your project.
Old 16-03-2020, 13:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In 2006 I found a ring gear (the teeth the starter grips on the fly wheel) for a 1957 Ford industrial engine in a local auto parts story. The only secret was to ask for it from the old guy at the end of the counter. The box was kind of dirt.
Old 16-03-2020, 13:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Words of wisdom, Privleoplag and Slug. It's entirely possible that nothing is seized; you may be prying against a snap ring.

Broader note: It is possible to disassemble this mechanical device, after all, someone assembled it, and it was not designed to be impossible to service. So, go back to the exploded drawing and have at it.

If the oil seal needs replacing, find a new one in this catalog:

https://www.mcmaster.com/oil-seals

Remember, the manufacturer did not design and manufacture a propriatory oil seal. He took the right sized one off the shelf. He may want to charge you as if he is the only source, or he may be out of business, but you don't need to worry about never being able to replace it.

Good luck with your project.

Yah clip rings plus that key way

At any rate a windlass is s pretty simple piece of equipment , no hammers or crowbars needed

Occasionally the shaft corrodes into the gear box

This is the reason for the lip seal ,,,to keep the shaft dry
Old 17-03-2020, 07:17   #9

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post

Exactly why I suggested he remove the snap ring.. never force anything except as a last resort, which could be necessary if the key has semi-sheared and is wedged between the keyway and the shaft.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 20:38   #10

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Your local auto supply (the kind real mechanics use - not Autozone) will also have a wide selection of snap ring removal pliers favored by transmission mechanics.

A lot of winches use rings that work like a key ring. All you need is a screwdriver.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 13:32   #11

Update: I contacted Quick USA (the maker of the windlass). I was informed you can can't remove from above, I have to drop the gearbox from the bottom off the shaft first.

The very helpful guy suggested using a Jaw Puller, to push the shaft up and out of the gear box.

After doing that (if successful), i can remove the "oil seal" at the top, which is leaking and causing the water to come in and causing all problems. Then as suggested above I can remove the snap rings etc..

I can also get the replacement oil seal from them.

I'll post an update in a few days to let people know how it goes.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 19-03-2020, 13:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolf View Post
Update: I contacted Quick USA (the maker of the windlass). I was informed you can can't remove from above, I have to drop the gearbox from the bottom off the shaft first.

The very helpful guy suggested using a Jaw Puller, to push the shaft up and out of the gear box.

After doing that (if successful), i can remove the "oil seal" at the top, which is leaking and causing the water to come in and causing all problems. Then as suggested above I can remove the snap rings etc..

I can also get the replacement oil seal from them.

I'll post an update in a few days to let people know how it goes.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Remember to order new circlips

Many times you break them when removing

SS circlips are hard. to find
Old 03-01-2022, 05:17   #13

I now have the same problem as you: having undone the nuts underneath I cannot get it to come apart.
Did you succeed and how?
Thanks
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, wind, windlass