Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2015, 12:18   #1

Recommendations for windlass?

I have decided to put an electric windlass on our 36' islander sailboat. Ideally, it would be vertical with a vertical motor shaft (I understand the amp/power draw is less on vertical than on horizontal motor shaft). I don't want the chain to drop below deck but into a shallow anchor well. Note attached photo I saw in a magazine. Any comments or suggestions as to brand/ model that might meet our needs?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1427570302.642518.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	99603

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jollymon36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 14:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Recommendations for windlass?

A vertical windlass with chain AND rope gypsy is the way to go. You will have to tend the windlass with the way you are talking about storing the rode, however. The chain will pile up and eventually jam up the works without you toppling the pile and rearranging it as the rode comes in. If it was me, would remove that anchor locker, glass in the opening and run the chain to bilge. That way the rode should be self tending and you won't have that locker constantly full of water in nasty conditions.

Like the rope gypsy for kedging off when you have the inevitable grounding. With a vertical windlass, there is no issue with the angle of the lead to the rope gypsy. With a horizontal windlass, the pull has to be pretty much straight forward which will mean some form of snatch block set up if you want to haul in another direction.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 15:16   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Not having any vertical drop will be inconvenient and required continual manual intervention when hauling in rode.

I installed a Maxwell windlass a couple of seasons ago...nicely built piece of gear.

I suggest downloading installation manauls and getting familiar with the install requirements before making your final decision. Proper electrical, alignment, and vertical drop are key installation considerations.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 15:38   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Maxwell's have had a very, very good reputation for many a decade. And decorate the foredecks of a lot of cruising boats for good reason. I surely loved the one on the big Swan I used to skipper.

Anyway, I'm guessing that something in the VW series will fit your needs Vertical Windlass Range
With this model, how & where you mount it in terms of where the chain lands is up to you. Plus you can mount it so that the motor doesn't live in the chain locker, a definite bonus.

The general rule is to get one with at least 3x the pulling power of the total weight of your ground tackle. Plus, often enough, in their small/mid-sized models, if you find the size which fits your current needs, the next size up is only $200+/- more. And thus, something of a bargain, knock on wood. Unless, that is, that it weighs 50lbs more.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 20:56   #5

I am also looking to buy a new windlass for my Formosa 46. I looked at what I thought was a good brand ... Lewmar. I will look at Maxwell also since y'all think it is good quality. Anyway, here are the costs for what seems to be the same product for a 40-50 ft boat.
Anyone have pros/cons on Lewmar. Looks good on paper, but then I've got 4 ex-wivies ... so I go looking for opinions now before I buy. (BTW, my mother finally approved of #5 and it's been a great 15 yr so far.
LEWMAR CPX Vertical Windlass, CPX3 Gypsy (G 002GYP)

Model # 12806105 | Mfg # 6672211002 (for boats 40-50 ft long)
$1,639.99 from West Marine with in-store free shipping

From StarMarineDepot Price 1,287.95 plus shipping
MSRP/MAP is supposedly $2269.90

Specs:
The CPX Vertical Windlass features a 316 stainless steel top cap and chain pipe with an alloy base so it is lighter than the all stainless steel V-Series deck units. With an emphasis on reliability, Lewmar has updated the architecture and reduced the number of parts to make this windlass easier to service. In addition to new styling, Lewmar has included a new IP56 splash-protected motor and worm drive gearbox for maximum strength. The CPX can be fitted with chain pipes for either starboard or port feed, allowing for paired installations. All models include circuit breaker, solenoid, up/down switch, wrap around stripper, manual override for emergency release and clutch cone drive for smooth control. A manual recovery option is available to provide anchor retrieval in case of power failure.
• Style: Vertical
• Rode Type: Rope/chain
• Case Material: Stainless steel with aluminum alloy base
• Capstan/Gypsy Material: Stainless steel
Boat Length: 40'-50'
• Chain: 5/16" HT
• Line: 1/2"-5/8"
• Maximum Weight: 1962lb.
• Voltage: 12V/80A
• Speed Up/Minute: 92'
• Height: 3-3/4"
• Width: 6-5/16"
• Length: 8-11/16"
Warranty: Three years
Includes:
Windlass CPX3 Gypsy/Drum 12v with choice of gypsy 5/16 (9/16 line)
or 3/8 (5/8 line) G40 chain
Intelligent Mounting Studs, Washers and Nuts
Base Gasket Seal
Breaker/Isolator
Rocker Switch
Dual-Direction Control Contactor
12 V Motor Gearbox
Safety Instructions
Mounting Template
Instruction Booklet
Warranty Registration Card
Formosa46AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 10:19   #6

I have not been very impressed with the Lewmar windlasses I've used (don't like some of their other products either...especially their hatches).

In fact one of the models I was considering at one point was a newer Lewmar because I can buy Lewmar at wholesale. Fortunatley I captained a boat with the same model...elimated it from the running....even at wholesale price.
Old 31-03-2015, 15:26   #7

Ouch! Sounds like I should listen to experience here. I will very likely 'elimenate it from the running also'. The newer Maxwell RC10-10 looks like the one that I need. My 46 footer fails within the "heavy" range in their chart which looks like it goes up to about 47.5 ft. The best price I see is $1461.95 plus shipping from Star Marine Depot. I'm going to check around for a bit but it's likely that I'll be ordering the Maxwell. Thanks for the advice Belizesailor.
Formosa46AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 20:51   #8

I think you will be happier. Search other threads here for opinions too...think you will find some similar on Lewmar.

I installed a Maxwell RC8-8 last year. Damn nice piece of gear. Moves a lot of chain fast and smooth.

Ive got 200 feet of 5/16 G4 with another 100' of 3-strand and their rope/chain gypsy handles the long-splice transition very well...despite my 3-strand being slightly over sized.
Old 31-03-2015, 21:27   #9

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I've got to stick-up for our Lewmar and say that it has been flawless. We've done some things not recommended with it, and the windlass has preformed perfectly every time.

Matt

Tags
men, wind, windlass