Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2006, 14:26   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Received my Manson Anchor

After reviewing all the threads and reading, I purchased a Manson anchor. Got the thing in 2 days. Great shipping, good(?) price. Tried setting it in soft mud, it set quickly I don't really know what the holding is like yet, I will probably not have a real chance to test it until sometimes in September. It is well finished, very robust. Even my wife was impressed.

We will see how it holds up over the coming months.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:59   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Which one is it

There are different Manson anchors, which one did you get. I have been interested in their "Kedge" anchor and the price is great.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:29   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Did you get one of their "Supremes"? I'm thinking of one about 44 lbs. Where did you get it from? I saw there was a dealer in B.C. but I'd prefer one in the States as the boat's there. Right now my main anchor's a Bruce but I'd like something that'll dig into grass for the few times I have to anchor over a grassy bottom.
Old 02-08-2006, 14:56   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Rick,

I think the Rocna dealer is in B.C. Manson Supremes are sold by Hamilton Marine (there might be others, I just know that Hamilton does because I was looking through their catalog). I am interested in a Rocna, but the things are difficult (well, at least $$ shipping) to get in the states. The Manson has better distribution here, not to mention a lower price, but I am trying to convince myself that I am getting the same performance as a Rocna. Frankly, they "look" the same to me and have the features of a Rocna, like the roll bar and concave surface. I don't know if the cheaper price is due to lower manufacturer and distribution costs or lower quality components and construction.

Craig, do we dare ask your opinion? If you don't want to comment on the Manson, will you at least tell us why we in the states can't go to our marine supply stores and buy a Rocna like we can for Spade and Manson? Maybe also shed light on what goes into deciding the Rocna price (not beating on the cost, just trying to understand what I would get for it).

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 16:17   #5

Boy colemj; you really want to open a can of worms. There is another thread where Craig talks pretty extensively about Rocna's, Browse through the anchoring section and you'll find it. I think it is something like I am ordering a Rocna.

I got my Manson 45 Supreme (galvanized) from Azure marine in Florida. They shipped it to me here in North Carolina. I had it 2 days after I placed my order. The price, to my door, was $346.09 (US).

There were 2 things that persuaded me to go with a Manson. First was having a dearler that is realatively local. The only dealer I could find for was in British Columbia, Canada. Too far for my taste. The second was the lifetime warrenty offered by Manson. If a company is able to put themselves behind there product to that extent, it is a REALLY big plus in my book.
Old 02-08-2006, 18:10   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Thanks, think I'll get one in the fall, make my Bruce the secondary and retire( for the moment) my little 37 # plow.
Old 02-08-2006, 21:06   #7

I got rid of my CQR. I believe the Manson is a good replacement. I originally was going to get a Delta, but I think one of the new type anchors are superior. I am keeping my bruce too. I'll use it as my rock anchor. I would not mind that much if I had to leave it stuck in a rock some place. Now, the chain, that's another matter, I'd have to dive for that!
Old 02-08-2006, 21:45   #8
Marine Service Provider

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj
I think the Rocna dealer is in B.C. Manson Supremes are sold by Hamilton Marine (there might be others, I just know that Hamilton does because I was looking through their catalog). I am interested in a Rocna, but the things are difficult (well, at least $$ shipping) to get in the states. The Manson has better distribution here, not to mention a lower price, but I am trying to convince myself that I am getting the same performance as a Rocna. Frankly, they "look" the same to me and have the features of a Rocna, like the roll bar and concave surface. I don't know if the cheaper price is due to lower manufacturer and distribution costs or lower quality components and construction.

Craig, do we dare ask your opinion? If you don't want to comment on the Manson, will you at least tell us why we in the states can't go to our marine supply stores and buy a Rocna like we can for Spade and Manson? Maybe also shed light on what goes into deciding the Rocna price (not beating on the cost, just trying to understand what I would get for it).

Mark
Hey,

I won't comment in too much detail on the Manson thing. Mark if you look at our New Zealand pricing and compare it to that of the Manson you'll see that we're a little more expensive but not that much more - this discrepancy reflects the "you get what you pay for" factor, as our construction costs are higher for several reasons. Where we refuse to compromise, Manson have taken several short-cuts and, in our opinion, have not completely understood what they were doing during their, ahem, R&D.

However you have a completely valid point regarding availability and pricing in North America, which is more expensive again, and I understand completely. We are working on US distributors, but unlike Manson we are not an established company with pre-existing distributor networks (Plastimo/Navimo imports Manson products into the US for example) and these things take time. The Vancouver BC pricing is that of our licensed manufacturer and distributor there, and their operation is independent to ourselves.

We will get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir
... The second was the lifetime warrenty offered by Manson. If a company is able to put themselves behind there product to that extent, it is a REALLY big plus in my book.
If I may we also offer a lifetime warranty, together with a six month money back guarantee which addresses the doubts some people have about trying an "unproven" product.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:51   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith
Mark if you look at our New Zealand pricing and compare it to that of the Manson you'll see that we're a little more expensive but not that much more
Hi Craig,

I didn't express myself well on that point. I agree that the cost of the anchor itself is not out of line with others, just that the overall cost of getting one on my bow roller is high due to distribution factors. I'm pleased to hear you are working on distribution. Care to give us an estimate on when these will become more widespread in the US?

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:21   #10

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Bought a Manson Supreme

I also just bought a Manson Supreme (galv, 25#) from Azure marine in FL.

I ordered it late last week, and have not received it yet.

I did some research and was frankly split between the Rocna, and the manson. I did not find a substantial difference between the two, but the shipped price on the Manson came in at HALF the price of the Rocna.

Found good info on boat at;

www.pearsonariel.org and SailFar.net

I will post my findings when I use it here.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 14:44   #11

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Early results

I posted this a couple weeks back on the Pearson Ariel Forum and rememberd this thread, so here it is;

Quote:
Just got back from Wilmington where I sailed the boat down and took my Captains liscence tests.

I normally anchor a couple times a week, but mostly just use my lunch hook on afternoon sails. I took my shiney new Manson with me for the trip, I anchored for the night half way there, half way back, and used it again for the afternoon stop half way up the river.

I normally try to set pretty close to a 7:1 scope, but tried the Manson at about 5:1 the first night, and just over 4:1 the second. Normally I would not think too much of the results of using the anchor so few times but I am impressed so far.

THe first night, there was about 15k of wind, but there was 2.5k of current, that turned during the night. From the GPS, there appeared to be no change in position outside of the swing circle (no drag). THe bottom was sand with some weed cover. The anchor set quickly, and apparently reset quickly when the current switched.

THe return trip I anchored in the same place, it is on the ICW, with very little protection (behind the 'BC' mark, just south of Surf City). THe wind was blowing pretty good, forecast for 25k, probably gusting slightly higher.
I let out enough rode for about a 4:1 scope (for testing).
The anchor alarm never went off, but the bread crumbs look like someone colored over the swing circle. THe wind and current (again, 2.5, and switching during the night) swung the boat through the entire circle, but there appeared to be no drag. I would not have trusted a Danforth in these conditions unless I had two set in a V with the roades linked.

I stopped on the river for a quick swim, and the clean the boat up before I got back to the marina. I gave it enough rode to set, and then choked it up short. It held with the 10-15k wind.

I used the rode for my stern anchor, which is powerboat rigged (6' of chain)
The anchor was no harder to retrieve then my CQR had been, but did not pinch my fingers like the CQR did. The flukes came up pretty clean, but the roll bar drained sand and mud in the cockpit. Won't be an issue once the roller is set up on the bow for it.

Really early, probably too early to tell but so far I am pleased with my Manson supreme.
Building the roller mount for it now, will continue to update as I get more experience with it.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 19:34   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Sail magazine had a recent anchor test and the Manson Supreme and the similar Rocna performed near the top of the list of plow type anchors with a slight edge going to Rocna. It seems the real suprise was that the Hydrobubble anchor beat them all. They state that this anchor exceeded our ability to exert force on it. They were able to exert loads of up to 5000 lbs. on the anchors. The anchors were tested at three differant locations. The Fortress fluke style did as well as the Hydrobubble. The CQR and Bruce performed very poorly and the Delta was somewhere on the middle of the pack. The Spade also scored fairly well. Maybe its time to get rid of the 35 and 45 lbs. CQR's that I have.
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 19:38   #13
Marine Service Provider

Arrow

Chart of the West Marine / SAIL testing:

Three locations, and three different scopes (3:1, 5:1, and 7:1).

To ensure fairness this chart shows averaged results as ratios of holding power to relative anchor weights. "Max Before Releasing" is the force the anchor withstood before moving (i.e. the effective holding power). "Max Pull" is the peak force measured after the anchor started moving. The lack of this measurement for any given anchor is bad, as it implies the anchor pulled free rather than remaining embedded.

For those that haven't seen it.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 21:50   #14
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith
Chart of the West Marine / SAIL testing:
For those that haven't seen it.
Sorry, I am an idiot!

It tooks a little time for the Sail Magazine’s article on anchor tests to arrive at the bottom of South America. I was very curious to read the totality of the test, and not only the single figure published by Craig of ROCNA, on practically all known nautical forums.

I am a little bit idiot in the great Southern latitudes of America and I am not certain that SAIL and SAIL Magazine are the same magazine?. However Sail Magazine publish also on the October issue an anchor test realized in collaboration with West Marine..

But are we talking about the same thing?? To my great surprise, I did not find nowhere the graph very favorable to Rocna, published by C.Rocna. There are some others...

For information purposes, I join the one of the page 68: "Effect of Location on holding power":

- In two places out of the three, the results of the Rocna is good and average in the third:
- at "East of warf" Rocna arrives in third position behind Fortress and Spade
- at "West of Warf" Rocna arrives in fifth position behind Fortress, Hydrobulbe, Océane and Spade
- Finally at New Brighton, Rocna arrives in third position behind Hydrobulbe and Suprème..

Then can somebody explain me how, while being respectively twice third and once fifth, Rocna can publish a figure of unknown origin, attesting that its anchor was the best in the test?

Thanks in advance for the explanation.

Alain

Please note that I do not have now ANY FINANCIAL, COMMERCIAL OR MARKETING INTEREST WITH ANY ANCHOR MANUFACTURER..
Alain d'HYLAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 00:57   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Alain, the chart Craig has suppied is a Ratio. Ratio of holding power to the tested Anchors weight. It actually means nothing in the real world of, X size anchor had Y amount of pull before it let go. Which is what your chart shows. So Craigs chart is just a means of using lots of numbers and pretty pictures to baffle the unwary.
Alain, I take it that the West and East of warf are two differing bottom types??? Can you explain the types in the three different places. I have not seen any of the mags so far, that have this test.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor