Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2012, 05:38   #46

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Really Bad Anchoring Examples ... Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Heres a nice example of, ahem, 'friendly' anchoring....

Drop right next to one boat, then pull back untill you're 5 feet off the bow of the boat behind, job done!
Are they swing moorings or on anchor,

On anchor, Thats rediculously close,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 05:57   #47

Re: Really Bad Anchoring Examples......Pictures

Quote:
Climbed back on board and my final words were to warn him about the very shallow reef I was anchored next to (deliberately in my shallow draft so other boats would leave me alone in the first place!)
Yep. When I get to an anchorage early I will often specifically and deliberately choose a spot that is NOT the best place to anchor, in hopes that the idiots won't crowd around me. Hardly ever works. They still gather around. The herd instinct is strong in most people.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 06:03   #48

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

I am always surprised to see experienced skippers anchoring. Most will drop the hook and pile up the chain on the anchor, seldom I see them pull on the anchor with the engine on reverse until the line gets tight and the boat swings, this is a way to make sure you are well anchored. While we traveled with other boats and anchored in the same places, we often were the last one to open the beer since we would not turn off the engine until we were sure that our boat was well anchored. Many times we heard our neighbours reset anchor at night or worse, wake up in the morning with their boat aground.
When possible, if charter boat are easily identified, when they approach the anchoring area, just tell them that there is a reserved area for charter boats, on the other side of the bay.
Old 15-08-2012, 06:45   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Even the pros get it wrong or why 2 anchors are difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB9A0B0B-63C1-416E-A309-FD91E4859EE7-1829-000002EA651B0B2C.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	44925  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 06:49   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The sort of thing you do not want to see at anchor. (when it's higher than this I am too busy to take photos)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DF55389B-4A84-4FC2-8E8A-5BC40B689548-1829-000002EA884FEFB1.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	44929  
Old 15-08-2012, 06:51   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Finally a nice one to show its not all bad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A49E9685-9860-4F74-A765-C46178AA2F8F-1829-000002EA7AA24BAC.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	44931  
Old 15-08-2012, 07:07   #52

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Are they swing moorings or on anchor,

On anchor, Thats rediculously close,
Yup, all at anchor, ahhhh, daysailors!! They think its like parking a car but one large gust of wind and the fun would really begin.

Yes Skipmac, not much more than 3 meters of water there so 1-1 is probably about right.
Old 16-08-2012, 00:53   #53

Boat: Lagoon 440

Yesterday we backed our boat into a VERY tight Marina pen, stern to with forward mooring blocks in the Meditteranean way.

As we were finalising our position a 42 foot Beneteau backed in beside us at probably 2 knots boat speed reaching for OUR mooring lines from my wifes hands.

Their attitude was they simply did not understand yet we backed in 2 or 3 minutes prior.

Europeans seem to not really consider that there are others in their world, on any day sailing we will have all kinds of boats cross our bows, they will not pass astern, it's as though it's a weakness to do so.

The Italians are here in Croatia in huge numbers now, fuel and horsepower know no bounds.

4 Nights ago a 40 footer drifted amongst 20 or so civily anchored yachts, the breeze was ROARING at 12knots, this one bounced off 3 boats before a Yachtie managed to get onboard and reset the anchor which was some feat not knowing the boats systems.

The owners were ashore at a restaurant and returned in the early hours, hard to imagine their arguments as to where they had anchored their boat.

Give me 2 weeks there will be more photo's....Gauranteed!!!!!
Old 31-08-2012, 09:54   #54

Anchored in a nice little bay in southern Majorca, had checked the weather and knew that some extreme weather was due from the north so was surprised when a huge great 84ft Ferretti powerboat comes and parks right in the middle of all the smaller stuff. Sure enough, about an hour later, the wind changed 180deg and there were screams of terror from the poor owners of the Lagoon 380 (who was there first), when 5 million quids worth of Italian superyacht swings right onto their bows!

(the guy on the jetski was actualy one of the Ferreti's crew racing back to save the situation!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020178.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	45841   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020180.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	45842  

Old 31-08-2012, 10:33   #55

Boat: Outremer 50S

Not quite anchoring, but now I gotta tell this one.

We're anchored in a pleasant bay, boat comes in and anchors right behind us. Drops the anchor maybe 10 feet off our stern. It's that kind of anchorage, so no big deal. As long as they don't let out way more scope than we do all should be OK.

We're down at dinner, CRASH!! Run up on deck. The guy that had anchored behind us is now mating with us, doggy style. He had turned on the engine to do some charging at dinner time. In gear. Motored in to us at pretty much full speed. Our dinghy, which was trailing astern, acted as a giant fender and folded in two (it was a hard dinghy, but not a Fold-a-boat). Damage was limited to the dinghy (thankfully), which the charter company was more than happy to replace.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 19:52   #56

Boat: Fantasia 35

Some years ago, while heading down the west coast of Baja, a rare front began moving through the Cedros Island area. Being late in the day and with the winds picking up, I started looking for a place to stop for the night. I had been talking on VHF with a fishing boat who reported that the anchorage near the north tip of Cedros looked good. This anchorage is open to the east but protected from the west and north winds and seas.

No sooner had I got my bow anchor down and set then other boats started arriving. One boat was a 60'+ ferro ketch. Although there was room in the anchorage for all of the boats -- this guy anchors abeam of me and insists that everybody anchor bow and stern. I point out that there would be a wind shift later that night. His response is that anyone that didn't want to set a stern anchor could find another place to anchor. So, due to the late hour, I and everyone else set our stern anchors. Of course, later that night when the expected wind shift occurred, all but two of the boats dragged their stern anchors. Unfortunately, the ferro dragged and mine didn't. Fortunately, I was standing an anchor watch and was able to fend the ferro off. No real harm done. Just a couple of hours in the early morning darkness sorting things out.

I guess that the lesson here is that one shouldn't hangout with sailors that like to stern anchor.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 20:16   #57

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

Quote:
Anchored in a nice little bay in southern Majorca, had checked the weather and knew that some extreme weather was due from the north so was surprised when a huge great 84ft Ferretti powerboat comes and parks right in the middle of all the smaller stuff. Sure enough, about an hour later, the wind changed 180deg and there were screams of terror from the poor owners of the Lagoon 380 (who was there first), when 5 million quids worth of Italian superyacht swings right onto their bows!

(the guy on the jetski was actualy one of the Ferreti's crew racing back to save the situation!)
That just doesn't make any sense at all....rude and/or completely ignorant.....did they get it moved without any damage to the lagoon?
goldiphlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 20:21   #58

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The sort of thing you do not want to see at anchor. (when it's higher than this I am too busy to take photos)
Nolex ... LOVE IT
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:34   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
That just doesn't make any sense at all....rude and/or completely ignorant.....did they get it moved without any damage to the lagoon?
There was deffinately a big 'thump' as the Ferreti's bathing platform made contact with the 380. I was a bit too far way (fortunately) to see close up if/what damage had been done but the Lagoon had half a dozen people on the foredeck all with fenders.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:44   #60

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

I think i would just move....especially after seeing all of this. I know its not right, if i were there first but rather than cause alot of damage to my boat....better yet...maybe i'll stick to uncharted desert isles....
goldiphlox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring