Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 10:03   #61

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Really Bad Anchoring Examples ... Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
I think i would just move....especially after seeing all of this. I know its not right, if i were there first but rather than cause alot of damage to my boat....better yet...maybe i'll stick to uncharted desert isles....
Right now it is the season for the ITALIANS fron end of june to end of August, they fill the anchorages and waterways all around adjacent areas, here in Northern Croatia, FUNTANA and PULA they have such an effect that the Menus are to suit the ITALIANO, not much different to the ENGLISH in SPAIN....Part of cruising, best Pasta tho!!!!
Old 24-09-2012, 06:18   #62

LOST FOR WORDS!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3592.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	47014  
Old 24-09-2012, 17:18   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us
LOST FOR WORDS!!!

OMG... Why would someone do that? Hoping the anchor would fail so he could make an insurance claim? Dumbfounded!
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 17:52   #64
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
LOST FOR WORDS!!!

That must have really taken some work ............... and a good drill ...............and quite a few drill bits!
Old 24-09-2012, 18:01   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 321 - 32'

Nice picture - is it a Swiss (cheese) plow?

In my 10 years of cruising, living mainly on the hook (nice BIG ones), I can't even count the problems we've had with other boats anchoring too close, bumping into us, sliding down the side of us in the night squall. My then-partner rescued many other boats that were either dragging down on other boats or slowly drifting out of different harbors.

It's not that hard - hefty anchors, lots of chain and have enough of it out - make sure it sets, back down on it. Don't leave the boat immediately after setting the anchor either, give it a chance.

Possibly another good idea - stay out of harbors known for attracting lots of charter boats.
sloopygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 18:16   #66
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
OMG... Why would someone do that? Hoping the anchor would fail so he could make an insurance claim? Dumbfounded!
Five top answers to that question:

#5, a racer who couldn't afford a Fortress, but who still wanted a lightweight anchor...

#4, the dock boy you forgot to tip...

#3, an English major who thought that this would be an artistic way to "galvanize" an anchor...

#2, the girlfriend who found someone else's panties in the v-berth...

#1, the fellow who just bought Rocna Incorporated, who wants to prove once and for all that made-in-China anchor stocks are not inferior.
Old 24-09-2012, 18:20   #67

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
LOST FOR WORDS!!!

I want this guy on MY team, talk about thinking outside the box!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 18:26   #68

C'mon guys, this is not likely to affect the strength significantly, even measurably, if the smallest margin between holes is sufficient (hard to judge from the photo)

It's common practice to castellate or otherwise remove most of the mass from the web of an I -section beam, as this part of the section contributes very little to strength.

A genuine CQR (which from a glance this appears to have been) has a massively strong shank and could well afford this.

Compare it with the shanks of certain 'new generation' anchors where, instead of a row of holes, you have a slot.
Now this DOES make a major difference to strength, to a flat-plate shank which already starts off MUCH weaker than the impact-forged, high-alloy steel shank of a genuine CQR.

(as a fringe benefit, the lightening holes make the anchor shown- paradoxically - cheaper to re-galvanise. )

If there's a valid criticism, maybe it's on the score of balance, which will be altered, but quite possibly in a good way.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 18:38   #69

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
C'mon guys, this is not likely to affect the strength significantly, even measurably, if the smallest margin between holes is sufficient (hard to judge from the photo)

It's common practice to castellate or otherwise remove most of the mass from the web of an I -section beam, as this part of the section contributes very little to strength.

A genuine CQR (which from a glance this appears to have been) has a massively strong shank and could well afford this.

Compare it with the shanks of certain 'new generation' anchors where, instead of a row of holes, you have a slot.
Now this DOES make a major difference to strength, to a flat-plate shank which already starts off MUCH weaker than the impact-forged, high-alloy steel shank of a genuine CQR.

(as a fringe benefit, the lightening holes make the anchor shown- paradoxically - cheaper to re-galvanise. )

If there's a valid criticism, maybe it's on the score of balance, which will be altered, but quite possibly in a good way.
While I would agree with part of you assessment of the "lighting holes", such as those used in the brackets between the double bottoms of many ships. The varying size of the holes and slip shod manner of their arrangement leads me to believe this guy has no clue about calculating the strength of the remaining metal.

Just my opinion.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 18:48   #70

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:

If you calculated the mass removed it will amount to about 5% or less. Light weighting is OK if you can control the load direction. The fail loading on an anchor is SIDEWAYS and this was just dumb.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 19:09   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
If you calculated the mass removed it will amount to about 5% or less. Light weighting is OK if you can control the load direction. The fail loading on an anchor is SIDEWAYS and this was just dumb.
Huh? Perhaps you're looking at another picture? The one I see shows a CQR. The shank is hinged where it joins the ploughshares. There is NO possibility of side load.

Furthermore, the cross section is similar to that of a con-rod. The web is even closer to the neutral axis laterally than up & down, hence contributes almost nothing to bending strength side-to-side (even less than up-and-down), so even if the hinge jammed, there's no real issue.

Regarding another post: As for the untidy disposition of the holes as an indication the guy doesn't know how to calculate how much material to leave... well in the specific case of a CQR it really doesn't require calculation, for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post.

Even in a less over-specc-ed shank: As long as there's some minimal level of shear coupling between the upper and lower flanges (and an occasional connection providing resistance to buckling of the upper flange under compression...) further material in the web around midheight serves no useful purpose.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 19:58   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 34
All the technical comments aside....that thing is just plain ugly.
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 20:04   #73

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Huh? Perhaps you're looking at another picture? The one I see shows a CQR. The shank is hinged where it joins the ploughshares. There is NO possibility of side load.
I have a genuine CQR with a bent shank that begs to differ
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 20:05   #74

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:

Furthermore, the cross section is similar to that of a con-rod. The web is even closer to the neutral axis laterally than up & down, hence contributes almost nothing to bending strength side-to-side (even less than up-and-down), so even if the hinge jammed, there's no real issue.

Regarding another post: As for the untidy disposition of the holes as an indication the guy doesn't know how to calculate how much material to leave... well in the specific case of a CQR it really doesn't require calculation, for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post.

Even in a less over-specc-ed shank: As long as there's some minimal level of shear coupling between the upper and lower flanges (and an occasional connection providing resistance to buckling of the upper flange under compression...) further material in the web around midheight serves no useful purpose.
Have your ever seen a failed shank? THe anchor gets wedged in rocks, shank is prevented from swinging on its hinge, wind changes, shank bends. That is what all of the ROCNA flap is about. I can't imagine spending a pile of money on a mature & successful design and then presume to outguess the designers and evolution of the product especially a hip-shot with a drill. I do machine design for a living. What was done to this anchor weakened it and puts his vessel at increased risk.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 21:27   #75

It was on a smallish boat i think he wanted a 25lb CQR not a 27LB'ER!!! It had been galvanised after drilling, a couple of the holes were cutting into the edges a bit high.

I walked past it on the way to the village in MILNA on BRAC which is the island the stone for the Whitehouse came from and just had to share the pic....

Definately a SWISS CQR..

Tags
anchor, anchoring