Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 19:10   #16

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Really Bad Anchoring Examples......Pictures

Oh, did I mention that as I was snapping a picture of the boot anchor I turned around to snap a pic. of this fine looking boat. They really do things differently in Watch Hill, RI.

The fun just never stops. In a blow it must be fun to watch this floating shed drag around the harbor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floating shed.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	43313  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 19:16   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Well some times its just pure entertainment.
Here is a dingy anchor to shore that I witnessed last week.
Really, do you really think that flippin shoe will hold you’re dingy when the tide comes in?

Oh, it’s a magic shoe, well that is different.
One foot on the ground!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 20:03   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

One foot for the boat and one for yourself.
Old 11-07-2012, 20:27   #19

This guy only had to deal with a 300mm/1foot total tide change between low and high tide,,, Had to be dragged off by the masthead, very embarrasing for him.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2136.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	43314  
Old 11-07-2012, 23:36   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This yacht "anchored", but did not relize that the anchor did not drop but stuck on the bow roller. They let out 40 m of chain into the anchor locker.
They then went ashore.
It drifted across the anchorage coming to rest on some rocks. I towed it off with my dingy and tied it to the back of our boat. A couple of hours later the couple returned.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01Newtenders.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	43322   Click image for larger version

Name:	03Towing1s.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	43323  

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 00:18   #21

That's gotta be the height of stupid!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58   #22

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
This yacht "anchored", but did not relize that the anchor did not drop but stuck on the bow roller. They let out 40 m of chain into the anchor locker.
They then went ashore.
It drifted across the anchorage coming to rest on some rocks. I towed it off with my dingy and tied it to the back of our boat. A couple of hours later the couple returned.
How can anyone, even idiots who rent charter boats, not watch the anchor go into the water?? My goodness, people like this need to be steralised to protect the gene pool!

I hope the boat is now yours? You had full right of salvage from what I can see there.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:27   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
How can anyone, even idiots who rent charter boats, not watch the anchor go into the water?? My goodness, people like this need to be steralised to protect the gene pool!

I hope the boat is now yours? You had full right of salvage from what I can see there.
The worry was it was a private boat
I think the owner was a bit worried about me claiming salvage rights, or maybe he was a bit embarrassed anyway they left after a very brief thank you. It took ages to tow the boat the 50 foot boat off the rocks with my little outboard going full throttle for much longer than is good for it.

Two nights ago I let out some more anchor chain on two boats that were dragging ( they had gone to a out for a meal)
In contrast to the above the skippers were very grateful and gave me 2 very very nice bottles of Grand Cru French Bordeaux. Not necessary, but a nice thank you is always appreciated.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:33   #24

In a fortnight when we get back to Croatia the season starts to peak, we are told the crazy Italians will be out in force, we enjoy drinks and watching the evening anchoring show, but try as we might i don't think i could ever top that story, that's a cracker!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:36   #25

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

That's what I love about the boating world, for every numpty there is always someone decent like yourself who is willing to put themselves out without expecting anything in return, good for you sir!

I can't believe that that couple never gave you anything, imagine returning to find someone had towed their car out of a ditch and not giving them something! Oh well, let's hope they at least learnt a lesson.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24   #26

I thought about starting a new thread on this but since this is an eclectic group and the responses interesting and amusing I'll go ahead here.

I'm always concerned about how to judge how far from another boat I should anchor. I always try and anchor far enough away to avoid swing problems but on several occasion when chartering in the BVI or somewhere I haven't had the luxury of lots and lots of room. So, recetenly I've been looking around on the interwebs about how to calculate swing of a boat on anchor. And, (and this isn't unusual for me) I am a little confused. Some articles indicate that the swing room is the length of the rode, doubled.

Let's say you are anchoring in 7 feet of water, and the height of your bow is 3 feet above water, so that's 10 feet total. So you pay out 70 feet of scope. So does that mean you will swing 70 feet, well plus the length of your boat? Seems to me, using the Pythagorian theorem, that the swing would be more like 20 feet. Here's my thinking, often faulty. The theorem is a2 + b2= c2 (2 supposed to mean squared). A is the depth of the water plus your boat's bow above the water, b is unknown, and c (the hypotnuse) is 70.

So we have 10squared= 100 + b squared = 70squared which is 490.

So we have 100 + b = 490. To make it simple, let's make b = 20 so b = 400. But we have to convert b to the square root of 400 which is 20.

That makes the boat 20 feet from the anchor. Right? If I'm right, the radius of the potential swing is 20 for a total of 40 feet swing room. Plus the length of the boat of course.

So to dissuade the typical ridicule when I start thinking, please just make jokes about the computations and not the author!!!!!!!

As an aside, charter boats rarely have any markings on the rode, and I have no idea how to estimate how much chain is paying out.
decatur1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:42   #27

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by decatur1945 View Post
I thought about starting a new thread on this but since this is an eclectic group and the responses interesting and amusing I'll go ahead here.

I'm always concerned about how to judge how far from another boat I should anchor. I always try and anchor far enough away to avoid swing problems but on several occasion when chartering in the BVI or somewhere I haven't had the luxury of lots and lots of room. So, recetenly I've been looking around on the interwebs about how to calculate swing of a boat on anchor. And, (and this isn't unusual for me) I am a little confused. Some articles indicate that the swing room is the length of the rode, doubled.

Let's say you are anchoring in 7 feet of water, and the height of your bow is 3 feet above water, so that's 10 feet total. So you pay out 70 feet of scope. So does that mean you will swing 70 feet, well plus the length of your boat? Seems to me, using the Pythagorian theorem, that the swing would be more like 20 feet. Here's my thinking, often faulty. The theorem is a2 + b2= c2 (2 supposed to mean squared). A is the depth of the water plus your boat's bow above the water, b is unknown, and c (the hypotnuse) is 70.

So we have 100 + b = 490. To make it simple, let's make b = 20 so b = 400. But we have to convert b to the square root of 400 which is 20.

That makes the boat 20 feet from the anchor. Right? If I'm right, the radius of the potential swing is 20 for a total of 40 feet swing room. Plus the length of the boat of course.

So to dissuade the typical ridicule when I start thinking, please just make jokes about the computations and not the author!!!!!!!

As an aside, charter boats rarely have any markings on the rode, and I have no idea how to estimate how much chain is paying out.
Different coloured cable tie every ten feet is a cheap way for lenght of chain,
A wire wrapped around your links every ten feet, four wires on four links is forty feet, simple and easy,
The rode out plus boat lenght is your swing on one side, Double that for a full radius swing,

70 feet of rode, plus boat lenght, Twice, is your full radius swing, leave plenty of room extra, just in case of a dragging anchor,

140 feet plus your boat lenght twice, = swing, make sure your anchor is set hard as well,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:45   #28

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Well some times its just pure entertainment.
Here is a dingy anchor to shore that I witnessed last week.
Really, do you really think that flippin shoe will hold you’re dingy when the tide comes in?

Oh, it’s a magic shoe, well that is different.
The guy can not help it...

... the child wondered off with it's other shoe!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by decatur1945 View Post

Your maths is a bit wrong

The anchor chain is the hypotenuse =70 feet. The opposite side is 10 feet. The swing is is the adjacent side.
The formula for the adjacent side is the square root of 70 squared - 10 squared which equals 69 feet. The bow will be 69 feet from the anchor when stretched out.

So with resonable scope when stretch out in strong wind the bow will swing through an arc with the radius almost equal to the length of chain. The radius of the stern will be almost the length of the anchor rode + the length of boat. The diameter will twice this.

So with a 40 foot boat and anchor chain of 70 feet in 7 feet of water the swing diameter will be 218 feet at full stretch.

Having said all that no one can judge distances that accurately so approximating to rode length ( take off a bit if you like) is near enough with apologies to Pythagoras.

Boats swing alike so having you total swinging diameter free is unnessary and is not something you will get in many anchorages. If you are anchored a couple of boat lengths away from a similar boat with similar scope and rode you are unlikely to hit.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:58   #30

Boat: OEM, proportional

Not sure if this was a drag or braille-nav, but it sure hurts to look in the guts of someone's former floating home:

Tags
anchor, anchoring