Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 11:20   #1

Boat: Tosca 36
Quick radio control for anchor winch

I fitted a Quick radio control receiver 2 years ago to my Lofrans anchor winch and with only two of us mooring in Mediterranean style the remote control proved to be a boon.
Last year it stopped working at the end of the season and we are about to resume cruising this summer. The receiver responds to the remote with a click and a red led light on triggering up or down (i.e. transmitter and the receiver radio elements seem ok) but there is no response from the anchor winch. This failure happened during an anchoring procedure. I reprogrammed the device, I can find no lose/corroded connections and no fuse is blown within the unit.
Any one able to advise on how to test for the fault further before I have to send it away?
James
jamiemil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 12:02   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Quick radio control for anchor winch

I get that you have radio contact but is the main power relay closing ?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 15:36   #3

Good question Guy. But I do not know what the main power relay is or how to check this out. The foot switches still work fine. Do I measure the voltage across the terminals between the receiver and the foot switches to see if a current flows when the appropriate remote button is pressed? The device model no is RO2.
Old 27-05-2014, 16:32   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

The foot switches energize the main power relay. The radio control does also.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 06:00   #5

Put a volt meter across the motor (meter set to DCV to test a 12vdc motor). If you see normal voltage when your radio control makes the unit go click, then the problem is in the motor or the gearbox.

If you have voltage at the motor & nothing spins, check that the connection at the motor is clean & tight. If it looks good, then attach a clamp-on amp meter. If it draws no current, then you have an open circuit & the motor probably needs brushes, a rebuild or replacement. If heavy current flows, but nothing spins, then you probably have a short or a mechanical jam. If you don't have an amp meter, then you can often confirm heavy current flow by the motor getting hot.

If the foot switch works, but the radio doesn't, then there is probably a problem in the radio gizmo or it's connection to the same relay that the foot switch operates, assuming that the foot switch uses a relay. If the foot switch is a direct mechanical connection to a massive switch, then the foot switch may not use a relay.

I don't know your winch in particular. These are general comments.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 09:51   #6

Thanks for the helpful and detailed comments Jim.
The foot switches operate the winch via a relay and that system including the winch is working normally.
I guess in raising this thread I was hoping that something within the electronic gizmo could be fixed but I guess that would require expertise in electronics and a circuit diagram, neither of which I have.
Old 30-05-2014, 09:57   #7

Can you post a little more info about your radio gizmo?

Model number?
Link to manufacturer's website?
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:31   #8

The instrument is a Quick radio control receiver model R02.
The manual can be found at this address:
http://www.quicknauticalequipment.co...%20rev002a.pdf

It shows electrical connections but not a circuit diagram. I shall only be getting back to the boat on the 13th June so I can go over all the connections again then.

Tags
anchor, radio, winch