Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2013, 12:36   #1

Peter Bruce Innovator

Peter Bruce, what a guy! I was researching the roll-bar concept and ran across the drawings for his US Patent 3,777,695

I think the guy is a true innovator. In this design we see distinct features as well as a general shape recognizable in the so called "New Generation" anchors.

Clearly he paved the way for the Bugel, Manson Supreme, Ronca, Mantus, SARCA, Knox, and all the others and he did it all starting in 1971 when the patent was first applied for.

I don't know much about the man other than he is from the Isle of Man, can't find much biography online. He has significant number of patents for anchors and anchors systems, impressive body of work.

Link below to Free Patents Online, an nice website for browsing patents. Try searching "Marine Anchor" hours of fun.

Cheers!

ANCHORS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	US3777695-1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	68803   Click image for larger version

Name:	US3777695-2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	68804  

Click image for larger version

Name:	US3777695-3.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	68805  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 13:02   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Peter Bruce Innovator

Impressive!

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 13:09   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

He spent a few days on my tug on a trip from Singapore to Brunei, where we tested out the new Bruce Dennla Mk4 anchor
BRUCE DENNLA Mk 4 ANCHOR

Nice bloke
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 15:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
He spent a few days on my tug on a trip from Singapore to Brunei, where we tested out the new Bruce Dennla Mk4 anchor
BRUCE DENNLA Mk 4 ANCHOR

Nice bloke
Now there's an anchor! Looking at those photos certainly puts a different perspective on the whole yacht anchor thing.

Curious to know, based on your experience, what kind of ground tackle set up you have on your sailboat?
Old 16-10-2013, 15:31   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

40lb Bruce and a 60lb Manson Boss, (Manson only purchased recently), with 400 feet 3/8" chain (10mm).
Bruce anchor is now taking a rest and is the back up.
BTW, those Bruce Dennla anchors can be a real pig to set up.
Old 16-10-2013, 16:53   #6

Quote:
40lb Bruce and a 60lb Manson Boss, (Manson only purchased recently), with 400 feet 3/8" chain (10mm).
Bruce anchor is now taking a rest and is the back up.
BTW, those Bruce Dennla anchors can be a real pig to set up.
How much do the ones in the photos weigh?
Old 16-10-2013, 17:28   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

UFB!

Great find! THX for sharing!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 22:50   #8
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Peter Bruce first patent, that I have found, was for the original 'Bruce' (as it was later called) with roll bar dated 1970, obviously the US Patent is dated later. He never used the roll bar, or not that I am aware, but as mentioned it forms part of the basis for the Bugel, which (with no disrespect) looks amazingly like a Danforth with the fluke welded to the shank. In addition to abandoning the roll bar Bruce also appears to focus on flat convex designs in their monster models today.

The Bruce (as we know it) was the first innovative design after the CQR and Danforth and borrows nothing from either, or anything previous. As far as I know the next enduring design was the Bugel (though it had little impact in the UK), followed by Delta (the CQR was sold by Simpson Lawrence who developed the Delta, as a part time project over 6 years, in the early '80s). SL then morphed into Lewmar. The Delta gave us the self righting shank, copied by most ever since. After the Delta we then have SARCA and Spade - interestingly both borrow little from anyone. SARCA arguably borrowed the roll bar, Spade the self righting shank - but the other components of these designs is fairly original. I could not exclude Fortress from this history - who obviously looked to Danforth for inspiration but stepped 'outside the box' to introduce high tech engineering and strong aluminium alloy to the mix.

With the innovations of CQR, Danforth, Bruce, Fortress, SARCA and Spade we seem to have the foundations for almost every facet of design we see today.

The Bruce Anchor Company has gone from strength to strength and I think is still based in the Isle of Man and is one of the big innovators in oil rig anchors (the other major company being Vryhof). If you check Chinese anchor websites you will find they make many of Bruce (and Vryhof) designs, whether they pay license fees etc - I have no idea.

Though it is fairly obvious Peter Bruce has made his impact in the oil industry his move from leisure anchors is our loss. The Bruce leisure anchor was hived off (from the mainstream oil industry activity), decades ago, but was eventually abandoned when, it is suggested, cheap copies undercut the business. Many original Bruce anchors are still in use today, has many adherents and its longevity (no-one comments that they bend) suggests he got things right and did not cut corners. Maybe the 'demise' of the Bruce anchor in the leisure industry is what happens to innovative design when intellectual property is copied?

If you want to follow anchor design then the Vryhof anchor manual is an excellent place to start (unlike some other histories they have no axe to grind), though its focus on the leisure models is small. However they do go into the background for thin shanks, the importance of surface area etc. Bruce, on their website, have some interesting and educational videos.

If I have omitted anyone of importance, my apologies - its a very brief history, you cannot mention everyone! But we do have a lot to thank Peter Bruce for, along with some other notables.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 00:06   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
How much do the ones in the photos weigh?
In relative terms, not that heavy, around 10 to 15 tonnes is usual. They are steel plate welded construction in the main part.
As Jonathan says, the Vryhof Manual is available online, and has plenty of detail of various anchor designs.
Old 17-10-2013, 05:21   #10

Quote:
In relative terms, not that heavy, around 10 to 15 tonnes is usual. They are steel plate welded construction in the main part.
As Jonathan says, the Vryhof Manual is available online, and has plenty of detail of various anchor designs.
Ha ha, relatively speaking my forty foot boat weighs 18,000lbs! Jonathan- thanks for the Vryhof manual, good stuff!

Vryhof Anchors - Company - News
Old 17-10-2013, 05:29   #11
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
Ha ha, relatively speaking my forty foot boat weighs 18,000lbs! Jonathan- thanks for the Vryhof manual, good stuff!

Vryhof Anchors - Company - News
Delancy,

You are most welcome.

Sadly Bruce are a bit more reticent (as I am sure they have lots that might be of interest).

But do not get too engrossed, it becomes all consuming!

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote