Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 16:23   #46

Boat: Crowther/DTP 49' "SeaVeyor"
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I can't imagine you have anchored your 49' boat with a 45lb CQR!! You are going to sleep much better ;-) I would advise you to sell both CQR's and buy a bigger reserve anchor, a Fortress FX-85 may be (can be disassembled)

ciao!
Nick.
Agreed.......
DRSandbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:19   #47

Boat: CT54
Thank you everyone for all the great advice!
We received our Rocna 55 a few days ago and thought I would post a few photos on how it sits on the bowsprit/roller. It is not a perfect fit and we will need to do some modification but overall I think it will work
Jackie

jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:04   #48

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
I just returned from two months cruising the California Coast. I am very happy that I had choosen a ROCNA anchor one size larger than recomended by the manufacturer. The anchor set first time every time and held without ever moving. There were three times that I was anchored in Gales with winds of 35kts gusting 40+.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:50   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
While there are prettier anchors to put on that classic clipper bow, I think you will find it worth the trouble for the modifications.

After two years of liveaboard cruising, the Rocna was one of the best buys we made for our 44' cat. Sure, the folks on the dock laughed with I hauled that 33kg monster on to the foredeck, but it has held us nice and steady through several pretty good blows.

The only problem we ever had was purely due to my own mistake. (We hit the only patch of thick grass in the whole anchorage. I got in a hurry, didn't see it, and didn't dive on it. Lesson learned. Not even the best anchor will compensate for poor seamanship.)

Although using a trip line/anchor buoy can be a problem in some places, when in a thick mud bottom, I've started using one, anyway. We had a couple of times when the anchor was so full of mud that I was concerned about getting it up. The trip line takes care of that worry.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:55   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
I also have a Rocna 55. I am anchored in an bay with very hard sand, with my previous plough I could just get the tip of the anchor berried, at this location,with a lot of coaxing.
Last night there were some stronger winds and swell 180 degrees from the direction I set the anchor.
I have just dived on the Rocna and it has rotatated to the new direction and it has dug in so deep that the shank is completley berried, with only the top 1/4 of the roll bar vissable. It is less than a metre from where it was dropped. Look at the photo of the Rocna 55 above. The fluke is a long way down.
I think my chain will snap before it lets go.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 13:09   #51

Man, I'm loving what I'm hearing about these new anchors....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 13:19   #52

Boat: MJM 50 Z
I bet one of the new anchors without the rollbar would fit better.
Spade, Ultra,
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 13:22   #53

Boat: CT54
Actually the roll bar really helps when bringing the anchor up. If it did not have a roll bar it would catch on the dolphin striker etc. just like the old CQR did.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor