Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you could choose only ONE type of anchor sailing around the world
Bugel 6 1.71%
Delta 42 12.00%
CQR 64 18.29%
Rocna 97 27.71%
Spade 25 7.14%
Manson Supreme 30 8.57%
Fortress 12 3.43%
Danforth 24 6.86%
Hydrobubble 4 1.14%
Other 46 13.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 03:03   #286

Alan, I'll keep in touch via forum email or PM when we get under way and while heading in your direction.

John
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 13:18   #287

Boat: Lotus 10.6
We will be home again and back for that trip. Where are you leaving from? What is your boat called MidLandOne?
Old 17-01-2008, 14:28   #288

Done.

John
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 22:12   #289
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazken View Post
Why would you advocate less chain instead of more? It is like telling people that a smaller anchor is OK because it works for you.
For many reasons which 'having anchored more than anyone' I'm sure your well aware of.

Small anchors rock and 'can' work better than oversized when set-up and used right. We often recommend small anchors (with great success and zero loss's) for some situations.

I'm sorry Ken if the above seem confrontational but as much as you profess to know much I do detect a lack of understanding of many of the recent developments and techniques of anchoring. Calling a Spade a plow is a primary mistake anyone with good knowledge will tell you. Maybe you'd slide by by saying an 'inverted plow'.

What I do believe is that you have successfully done a circumnavigation (and well done, it's far from easy at times) but on one boat with a set set of anchoring gear. That means you know well what works for you and your 'style' of anchoring but it does give you an 'all round' view of things.

Use 3:1 and you'll die a horrible death is purely and well proven as being plainly wrong in many situations, in some Yes but in all? definitely not. Maybe you have no joy at that scope because you're system is not set-up to do so, it could be that simple.

Anchoring is a 'horses for courses' game meaning EVERY boat and user are different and used in different ways with different styles and knowledge levels. With so many differences why do some keep suggesting one solution. There simply isn't one.

Obviously you're happy with what you use just as Wheels, ML1, delmarrey and everyone else is or should be. I'd put serious money on you having a small but definite myocardial infarction if you saw what I use but it works for me but only because it does actually work. Snore like a baby (have witness's I'm told often) even after too many glass's of golden nectar.

I'm on rope/chain and set at 5:1 every time, no more no less, zero drama.

Actually anchored 3 times this afternoon. Playing with a 30kg unbelievably sexy stainless delta clone. Looked so very very good but performance did seem a bit average but it was a dodgy bottom. Having another go next week.

OK I've just been informed I'm telling porkies. I should say my beloved wife, Petal of the Pacific, anchors at 5:1 every time

Gezz it's hot today, bloody awful.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 23:50   #290

Boat: Building a 65' catamaran at moment
HT shackles are available

You can get strong shackles now, so big links are apparently no longer necessary.

See Oversize Links

(I have no connection, and no recommendation about the site.)
Old 18-01-2008, 02:36   #291
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also “Alloy Shackles” at:
Shackles, Alloy Steel

Ie: 3/8" Proof Coil (G30) chain is rated 2,650 # WLL, whereas the matching Columbus McKinnon Alloy shackle is rated to 4,000#.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 15:19   #292

XYZ ?

I've just started looking at this very interesting anchor
Welcome to XYZ Anchor website

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 17:36   #293

I had a look at a rocna on our pier today. the arched pipe over the top that is to stop the anchor setting the wrong way is not sealed (ie things can get into it). I noticed some dried mud in the pipe on the boat I was looking at. Are these anchors sold like this? Would it not be better to weld a cap or inset a plug in the ends to stop crap getting in?

They must rust there over time.
Old 29-01-2008, 18:34   #294
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Would it not be better to weld a cap or inset a plug in the ends to stop crap getting in?
Would it not be better to let it drain out easily? Welding a cap does not ensure it will be sealed forever. Most things hollow don;t stay that way. Leaving it open ensures water won't get trapped in there for extended periods. The outside is exposed to water as much as the inside. Letting is remain inside would be worse.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 21:02   #295
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The actual problem is in the hot dip Galv proccess. The pipe has to have a hole somewhere to let the hot air out or the pipe will rupture. So it is easier to leave the pipe uncapped to ensure Galv runs right through it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 21:41   #296
Marine Service Provider

Wheels has it spot on.
Old 29-01-2008, 23:48   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Wheels has it spot on.
There is still mud and crap inside this pipe. I think it is a design flaw. My CQR does not trap crud like this...
Old 30-01-2008, 00:07   #298
Marine Service Provider

Mud is good. Mud stuck means no O2 so no O2 = no rust.

Crap I'm not sure about. I'd suggest washing it out before it smells and then finding the weirdo who can't use a normal toilet like the rest of us

Just a simple case of 'nature of the beast' I'd say Seafox. Just about all anchors have rust traps to some degree.
Old 30-01-2008, 00:13   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Mud is good. Mud stuck means no O2 so no O2 = no rust.

Crap I'm not sure about. I'd suggest washing it out before it smells and then finding the weirdo who can't use a normal toilet like the rest of us

Just a simple case of 'nature of the beast' I'd say Seafox. Just about all anchors have rust traps to some degree.
I think my dog did it on a marina finger and my wife thought that it looked like a good place to hide it.

No reflection on the anchor of course.
Old 30-01-2008, 00:26   #300

Boat: Trismus 37
I find with mine is self draining, anchor tube that is not the dog.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor