Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 05:46   #106
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Ok guys, anchors question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I power mine down, but the windlass dumps chain pretty fast. Generally if I'm in deep enough water where it takes more than a 10 - 15 seconds to hit the bottom, I'm not somewhere crowded, so exact placement isn't as picky.

To get things placed where I want, I either place us a bit upwind of where I want and time the drop, or I signal back to the admiral (at the helm) to move the boat as needed to hold position or move while I'm starting the drop so we're in the right spot when the anchor is on the bottom. Once it hits bottom, the windlass can almost always deploy faster than the wind blows the boat, so there's no issue with pulling on the anchor too soon and dragging it around.
As I said, an often made mistake, which will interfere with anchor placement as well as setting of the anchor. In some seabeds it will prevent setting completely, as the anchor becomes fouled before even digging in, or you missed the sandy spot and are now on hard substrate.

Watch how professional seafarers anchor, copy it. There is also much to learn for techniques where they use their anchor, like turning in tight quarters, approaching shallows like a beach, lee shore docking etc.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:19   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Neel 51, Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The most often mistake that I see is that people lower their anchor by pushing the “down” button on their windlass remote, instead of releasing the clutch for free fall, then control chain going out with the clutch.

By the time their anchor reaches the seabed, their boat has already drifted upon a neighbor and they are going fast with 1:1 scope just dragging the anchor around

Some just don’t know, other say things like “the clutch has seized up” like if that is a good reason, not even realizing that they are supposed to take it apart, fix it then maintain it from there on.
Hmmm, clutch, interesting, thanks for sharing! I have to admit that I belong in the down button camp, just for lack of knowing better.

A quick search on the net for Lewmar winches made it not entirely clear to me yet, though... The clutch is released by using a normal winch handle and loosening the top of the anchor winch?

I suppose the chain counter on the remote will not work then?

So far, I have not had problems positioning the vessel using the down button, using some foresight, like positioning slightly ahead of the intended anchor position and perhaps also letting out a couple of metres of chain beforehand. In stronger wind I use the engine to slow the drift backwards.

But I see your point and will give this a try. Thanks again!

Cheers, Mathias
MathiasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:21   #108

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yes... we control the descent, and the initial stages of setting, using the clutch. Of course, with a manual windlass, we have no choice .

One of the benefits of the manual windlass, or indeed doing it all by hand, is that you can more directly control how the anchor is deployed, and how it is laid out on the sea bed. To me, anchoring is a tactile activity. I can both see, and feel, what is going on by being hands-on.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:50   #109

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Using two anchors set in a V reduces the swing to almost zero but it won't work if a current or wind change is expected.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:24   #110

I would still use the manufacturer’s tables and then go the next size up.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:44   #111

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The most often mistake that I see is that people lower their anchor by pushing the “down” button on their windlass remote, instead of releasing the clutch for free fall, then control chain going out with the clutch.

By the time their anchor reaches the seabed, their boat has already drifted upon a neighbor and they are going fast with 1:1 scope just dragging the anchor around

Some just don’t know, other say things like “the clutch has seized up” like if that is a good reason, not even realizing that they are supposed to take it apart, fix it then maintain it from there on.
I see this fairly often as well. I always use gravity drop (free fall) to get the anchor to the bottom. That way it hits the bottom where I intended. If attempting to anchor in 15+ knots of wind with other boats around it’s the essential technique, IMO. You can veer out chain keeping pace with the rate at which the boat falls off, thus laying the chain out on the bottom until you achieve the desired amount. With a good drop the boat will come up abruptly as you tighten the clutch and the anchor digs in. If one is single-handing and must go to the bow to deploy the anchor, this is what to do with much wind. Practice it!!!
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:03   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasW View Post
Hmmm, clutch, interesting, thanks for sharing! I have to admit that I belong in the down button camp, just for lack of knowing better.

A quick search on the net for Lewmar winches made it not entirely clear to me yet, though... The clutch is released by using a normal winch handle and loosening the top of the anchor winch?
That is correct but the winch handle might not be exactly like the ones you use with the cockpit winches. I can’t use those “normal handles” on my Lewmar Sprint 1000; had to get a slightly smaller one from a chandlery to keep with the windlass as one was not on the boat when I acquired it. The previous owner likely never used the clutch, etc., to anchor if he ever did anchor.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:10   #113

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Some will say that the decision to shore tie with wind on the beam is fundamentally "bad technique" as this will increase the load on the anchor by perhaps an order of magnitude. Fair enough. Guilty as charged.

That looks like Princess Cove on Wallace (BC)... right? Stern tying there is often a problem when the winds pick up, as they are always beam-to for the stern tied. We avoid Wallace during the busy season, and free swing outside of busy season (too many problems stern tying).

5-to-1 there would have you anchor most of the way across to other side. What happens if your stern tie breaks?
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:15   #114

You’ve gotten good advice from all to consider. Additionally, check the specs on your windlass to insure that it can lift the combined weight of chain an anchor. A bigger anchor doesn’t do you much good if you can’t retrieve it.
Traumerei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:44   #115
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izikalvo View Post
Most boats usually have a weight/length ratio that is common,

what is your way of choosing anchor size when your boat is beyond "normal" say, you have a 40Ft boat that weighs 20 tons, or the opposite, you have an 80 Ft long boat that weighs only 20 tons.
Obviously, when considering only length your are doing something wrong.

usually, anchor charts are related to boat length, and some have also weight, but where does the weight factor come from?

Any thoughts?
Don't overthink an anchor size that will, for the most part, be called upon to handle every anchorage...wherever that may be. Every anchor size selection chart I have seen is usually a sliding type covering a range of LOAs. After you have completed your research and selected your anchor make, if your boat is significantly heavier or has excessive windage, just move up to the next size.

Good Luck.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:57   #116

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
That looks like Princess Cove on Wallace (BC)... right? Stern tying there is often a problem when the winds pick up, as they are always beam-to for the stern tied. We avoid Wallace during the busy season, and free swing outside of busy season (too many problems stern tying).

5-to-1 there would have you anchor most of the way across to other side. What happens if your stern tie breaks?
Yep, Wallace Island.

I set the neighboring boat's anchor a bit "to windward" of perpendicular to shore, so it was just a bit beyond mid way across.

My anchor was at 4:1 so again, just past mid channel. If my Stern Tie let go I would lie to the second Stern Tie lines (just out of view in the picture) that were tied to a second tree.

But, no matter how well prepared I was, at some point enough poorly prepared boats will stack up on me and we will all end up grinding on the rocks in a giant floating cluster f***. I am at peace with that risk.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:17   #117

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Three **** pits dragged into me last winter in Florida. One derelict boat in Key West, one vacant boat in Marathon, and another vacant boat in Peck Lake. I saved them all with no help from the CG. I hope the owners found the latter two in the same condition I left them. As for the Key West boat, I hope Florida Fish and Wildlife dragged it offshore and sank it.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:54   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Yep, Wallace Island.

I set the neighboring boat's anchor a bit "to windward" of perpendicular to shore, so it was just a bit beyond mid way across.

My anchor was at 4:1 so again, just past mid channel. If my Stern Tie let go I would lie to the second Stern Tie lines (just out of view in the picture) that were tied to a second tree.

But, no matter how well prepared I was, at some point enough poorly prepared boats will stack up on me and we will all end up grinding on the rocks in a giant floating cluster f***. I am at peace with that risk.

Steve
The first time I anchored in there it was on a chartered C&C 38 (8-ft draft) out of Vancouver. Did not have much experience doing this kind of anchoring. We dropped the bower at an angle toward the opening (it’s a cul-de-sac in there); regrettably, over the chain rode of the boat on my port. It was not the wind but the tide running in that set us dragging into the boat on me starboard (of course, in middle of the night) although there was also wind. But we could hear water rushing under the hull.

We were pinned to shore by the stern line plus I had a dinghy in tow. Fortunately we had used an “endless line” (which we had to make up) to shore so we got that back aboard quickly. Tried to get out to the anchor but my dinghy painter fouled the rode of the starboard boat. Had to cut it free but it just blew ashore onto the beach at the end of the cove. Recovered it the next morning.

Meantime, we managed to get away from the boat on starboard, out into mid-channel, and started hauling up the anchor when the skipper of the boat that was to port of us started shouting that we were pulling him. Yes. Our anchor had fouled his chain and we were hauling it up!! When we got it to the surface it slid off of our anchor. Yeah! I reanchored in the middle of the channel (which is not very wide) and stayed there the rest of the night. A good soul fetched me to the beach next morning to recover the dink.

We left, no lasting harm done. I was VERY impressed at the good manners of the Canadians that night. Despite the fact that four or five of the boats down the line leeward of us had started engines and had flipped on running lights, I heard no yelling, swearing, or other fulminations toward us goofy Americans spoiling the peace of their night in Princess Cove!!
Old 03-10-2022, 10:55   #119

I’ve got a 3 ton 10m catamaran. Rocna says a 10kg anchor would be correct.

My anchor windlass and my wallet could both handle a 20kg anchor and that’s what’s hanging on my forward cross beam right now.

I sleep well at anchor now
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:05   #120

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The most common problem I see is anchoring in heavy weeds. When you can SEE the weeds. No excuse for that.

The second is called "dump the chain on the anchor all in one big pile."

Third is "back down with 1.1 to 1 scope." Saw one boat try it five times in July. And back down must mean 3,500 RPM to them. With the rudder cocked off to the side.

But there are a myriad of other elements, many come with a broader scope of the outdoors, and many with experience. Is the bottom likely to be covered with deadfall? Is it a couple inches of mud over bedrock? The beach is sand, I wonder if it's sand in five meters of depth? How rough could it possibly get here if the wind clocks at 2am? Will those two hills break winds, or act as a funnel? Do I really care if we drag?

Those go beyond just anchoring technique. It seems like there are two types in this world, those who get it, and those who don't. The difference isn't split along political lines, job titles, or wealth. Those who get it see a more comprehensive scene, and process it, without thinking about it. They're the ones I feel safe anchoring near. The others are facing a steady stream of problems, which they see as bad luck or Voodoo.

You can teach proper anchoring technique, you can't quickly teach situational awareness.

Tags
anchor