Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 01:15   #1

Boat: Samsom C-Strutter 46 Ketch
non ISO Gr43 chain in my Lawrence gypsy?

So i took the family out in our new boat without checking that the 60' of anchor chain was attached to the 300' of 3 strand.

I went to anchor after an exhausting day of rolling Juan De Fuca and ziiiiip-plop. All of it zipped right out into 20' of water. I didn't like that CQR anyways.

I'm just gonna get all new and found great deals on non-ISO chain, apparently the lengths are different slightly and it isn't as flexible in a gyspy...

Anyone tried it.

Here's the cheap chain source. The "windlass version" (ISO) of the same ACCO 5/16" is twice as much, seems like a racket to me.

Untitled Document

I got the RCA 60 gyspy on my SL 510 Hyspeed

thanks for any knowledge.
crunkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 08:05   #2

Boat: Samsom C-Strutter 46 Ketch
Re: non ISO Gr43 chain in my Lawrence gypsy?

I found an answer. ISO approved chain is made to stringent standards for tight sprocket work. its a shorter link. not by much. 2mm or so. It add 3% weight over the length of the chain so its not THAT much more material, but the cost doubles! I think the chain industry takes advantage of us boaters by charging so much extra for "windlass chain" but whatever.
crunkbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, gypsy