Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2011, 12:13   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: No Windlass

For as cheap as a used manual windlass is these days, I would go that route. You could put it on in a day. Pulling up rode a few times in a row when the anchor won't set gets old really fast.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 12:16   #32

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

SayGudday,
I've been in and out of Hawaii since the early 60s but most of it was via the U. S. Navy. I started sailing these waters in the early 80s via sailing vessel and have done the major islands and passed by the minor ones.
The boat is in my yard at the present but I catch rides with friends and sail club boats quite often.
kind regards,
Old 16-09-2011, 12:19   #33

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

My back just won't do it more than once a week anymore. I just won't sail without a windlass unless its on something less than 30 with Fortress anchor and 30 feet of chain.
kind regards,
Old 16-09-2011, 13:22   #34

Boat: San Juan 28

I came to enjoy the morning anchor workout on my recent four month trip. Pulling up a hundred pounds of gear while the boat creeps slowly forward through another beautiful slice of mother nature is a great way to wake up.

I don't think a windlass would be worth the effort, expense, and maintenance on my little 28 footer.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 17:22   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Ditto for my little 34 foot. I sail on and off anchor about half the time too. I use my main jib wench to pull in my rode till the anchor is free (using 5/8" rope rode) Plus it puts me by the wheel and engine controls for when the current or winds are up and I need a little more help.

A windlass would be nice but its so not in my budget.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 18:20   #36

Boat: Celestial 48

Get yourself an anchor chain pawl. This allows your to pull chain in a bit at a time without having to hold the weight of the chain between pulls. Mounted properly on your deck this is great. I think for most boats below 32' this is all you need. I used such a setup for years with 125' of anchor chain. A pair of good gloves recommended too so you leave some skin on your hands.

Like this: http://www.idealwindlass.com/new_page_5.htm
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 19:02   #37

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
For as cheap as a used manual windlass is these days, I would go that route. You could put it on in a day. Pulling up rode a few times in a row when the anchor won't set gets old really fast.
And what manual windlass would you recommend for a 35 foot boat?
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 19:15   #38

Boat: Currently boatless

I'm sure to get a lot of flame over this, but you do not need 100' of chain if you have a decent anchor. Plow anchors, including CQR, tend to drag.

For a Pearson Triton, I'd get a 35 lbs Manson Supreme and a Fortress 37, with 30 feet of 5/16 chain and 300 feet of 5/8 nylon rode for each. You can easily haul either one by hand, and between the two, you'd have ground tackle for just about any conditions.

I'm going to duck now and wait for the flames.
Old 16-09-2011, 19:40   #39
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: No windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayGudday View Post
Good point!
When I do overnight trips I'm usually with a group. If I'm by myself with no help for the anchor, i'm the last to leave in my area of the anchorage. I wouldn't want to count on a windlass when by myself because the durn things can break. I've decided it's just better for me to learn how to do it.

I've seen some kind of a system that uses a floating buoy to help break the anchor free, but I haven't seen a description of how it works that makes sense to me. I do it the hard way. I start the engine but leave it in neutral, and then just haul that puppy up. It's given me REAL good muscle definition in my arms -- LOL! I sit on the deck, with my feet in the anchor locker (being careful to keep feet free) and use my whole upper body, which takes the strain off your back.

If it were significantly rough or windy I can picture just having to stay put for a while.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 19:42   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

on west coast , one wants to use 100 ft chain. some bottoms are rocky and will chafe your line.
i run over my anchor and tighten the line until the boat pulls anchor for me--breaks it loose by its action with a taut, vertical rode.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 19:47   #41

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

I just picked up the Lofrans manual windlass for a very good price online,to replace the 30 year old one.I run all chain 5/16" (200ft),attached to a 50# Manson plow,it has never dragged.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 22:10   #42

Location: Auckland New Zealand {land of the long white cloud}
Boat: William Garden Transworld 41

Wish I had a electric windlass , 41 ft ,13 ton is a pain with a manual windlass and all chain,
Old 16-09-2011, 22:33   #43

Boat: Orca 38

I hauled the anchor on my first boat (26' Laguna) by hand for 4 years and never had an issue with it until the last time.

I got caught in Hood Canal by a strengthing wind and increasingly nasty chop and ran for Dabob Bay. It took me a while to get into the lee of some land and when I did I found it not quite so nice there either. I decided to try to get into the Quilcene marina only to find a bar exposed across the entrance during an extremely low tide. Needless to say, at this point I'm tired, cold, wet and uuummm shall we say paying very close attention to what has evolved.

I start to head out of the harbor to try to get someplace safe and the winds again start to increase to a point where I'm seriously questioning my reasoning abilities when it comes to plastic, winds, water and my life.

I made the decision (right or wrong) to try to find the calmest waters in the bay and get an anchor down (25 lb danforth, 50 ft of chain and 100 ft of nylon
rode). I singlehand and was comfortable with setting/retrieving anchor on and off sail, by hand. I actually thought I was pretty slick at it. The setting of the anchor this time under power went well and I thought I could catch my breath and maybe get some tea in me while I waited this out.

As I went below (engine still at idle) I felt the boat lurch aft and I hauled butt back into the cockpit to see my landmarks I used slide past my reference point. Not good. I sat there for a minute hoping that the anchor would reset
itself but I was not in the gods good graces at this time apparently. The boat is bouncing all over the place, the winds are not subsiding and I now have to raise the anchor and get out of Dodge before my little plastic tub comes to rest against some floating oyster beds.

Under calmer conditions I had raised the anchor by hand using the bow roller while sitting. I was not about to sit on that deck under these conditions. As I pulled the anchor up, the wind and waves would drive the bow towards the oyster beds. I would madly tie off what I had raised and scramble to the cockpit to get steerage speed only to have the anchor catch on something and require me to repeat this process yet again. The whole time this is happening I'm getting closer and closer to the oyster beds. On the third attempt I was able to steer the boat into deeper waters, point her into the wind and retrieve the rest of the anchor.

I eventually tied off to a six foot round steel mooring ball used by commercial boats. I went below to make my tea and fell fast asleep at the settee with the tea kettle on and the winds howling around me. I sold that boat shortly after this happened. I realized I didn't have the right tool for what I was doing.

My hands by the way were torn up. I felt the power being transmitted through that anchor rode and knew it could take a finger or even a hand off or at the least seriously flay it should I misstep be taken.

My point to telling this is that in calm waters you may be right in assuming you can man (woman) handle an anchor and rode aboard. During that one percent of the time when things just aren't going your way, beware of the UnderToad!

John
Old 16-09-2011, 22:37   #44

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke 48 View Post
And what manual windlass would you recommend for a 35 foot boat?
The Simpson Lawrence Hyspeed and Sea Tiger 555 come to mind. I have seen them from $100 to $400 used. There are many other makes.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 22:41   #45

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
The Simpson Lawrence Hyspeed and Sea Tiger 555 come to mind. I have seen them from $100 to $400 used. There are many other makes.
Absolutely right! I just rebuilt a Simpson Lawrence Hyspeed and am using it for the first time this weekend. It will serve it's purpose well until I can get a Falkon wired up in this bad boy.

Tags
windlass