Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2011, 03:17   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: New Anchor - Manson Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I sent an email to Ned, their VP of Sales and Marketing and got an email back within 24 hours. I don't have his permission to post it, so I'll just paraphrase.

1. I asked for more information about holding tests and he said that he preferred to wait until the product launch when independent tests were available before commenting. He stated that independent tests were far more valuable than a manufacturer's claims. I respect that.
2. I asked when I could buy one and he said that they would be launching in early next year but I might have to wait until spring to get one in Canada. I didn't like that answer very much. I want it to be available (and independently tested) now!

With my bowsprit arrangement, the hoop doesn't work that well, and with my recent experience dragging a CQR with 8:1 scope in good holding ground and moderate winds (after a wind shift), I really don't want to wait on this thing. Winter sailing around the PNW can involve some serious wind.
Have a look at a Sarca excel, no roll bar - tested and available now. (I have no commercial involvement with the company).
Old 24-11-2011, 03:50   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
just wondering what additional anchor I would need for the lagoon 380 38' cat i will be picking up soon. I will be cruising from france to australia via the med, Atlantic, Caribbean, pacific. It comes with
ANCHOR SET-UP (20kg (delta?)anchor, 75m chain D10, 20m warp D18)
What is the minimum additional I will need
Anchor
chain
warp
Thanks Monte
You will be relying on your anchoring gear a lot.
If it was me I would go for a 30-40 Kg new generation anchor Rocna , Manson Supreme or Spade if the roll bar models do not fit. I would get a Fortress FX 37 as stern/ kedge anchor and keep the Delta in reserve.
Get another 30m chain. It can used with a the second/ emergency anchor or shackled to main rode. A couple of smaller length of chain will also be useful to tie to rocks or use with the Fortress if you do not need much holding power and there is not any coral about.
Another couple of length of 20-50 warp.

Enjoy the trip
Old 24-11-2011, 04:52   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
He stated that independent tests were far more valuable than a manufacturer's claims. .
Will be interesting to see how this is done. In the past I thought Manson said that testing in their test lab was more valuable because it could be controlled.
Old 24-11-2011, 05:11   #49

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I'll be interested in seeing the prices for the Boss. The Supreme was so reasonably priced it made it easy for a lot of people to get a good new-generation anchor. But the Boss looks like it has more complex construction, plus the "new" factor. . . .
Old 24-11-2011, 13:15   #50

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
You will be relying on your anchoring gear a lot.
If it was me I would go for a 30-40 Kg new generation anchor Rocna , Manson Supreme or Spade if the roll bar models do not fit. I would get a Fortress FX 37 as stern/ kedge anchor and keep the Delta in reserve.
Get another 30m chain. It can used with a the second/ emergency anchor or shackled to main rode. A couple of smaller length of chain will also be useful to tie to rocks or use with the Fortress if you do not need much holding power and there is not any coral about.
Another couple of length of 20-50 warp.

Enjoy the trip
Good advise. Just add a SARCA the Australian anchor the ROCNA was modeled on to your list of options. There biggest issue is they are not so easily available outside Aust.
Old 25-11-2011, 23:59   #51

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor

Have a look at a Sarca excel, no roll bar - tested and available now. (I have no commercial involvement with the company).
Very interesting. I have three questions: cost, availability in Canada, and independent testing. Same three I have for the boss, I guess.

Then I need to consider concave vs convex. Not obvious to me which is better given my limited knowledge of soil mechanics.
Old 26-11-2011, 12:38   #52

I've continued my correspondence with Ned from Manson. I'm not an employee of Manson or even a customer (yet), but I'm interested in his response to some of the questions people on the forum have had about scary things like actually engineering an anchor to put material where it's needed and not where it's useless (ie having holes in shanks). He forwarded me some images that aren't available elsewhere, so will put them up here for all who are interested.

From Ned Wood, VP of Sales and Marketing at Manson (with his permission)

Quote:
The sliding shank issue is a non issue. The Patented Shackle Preventor ™ stops the shackle sliding forward. In essence it is another shackle with a larger pin diameter that can’t slide past the larger hole. Very simple idea. To go to the sliding function, remove the shackle. Or, simply leave the shackle in there forever…….. customers demand options….

Lightening hole is merely understanding basic engineering principles. Why have wasted weight where it isn’t needed. We used computer simulations of stress to refine the shape to the ultimate and put that wasted weight into the fluke, to get an even larger working area. As one person comments, the more holes you see in a design, likely the more it has been designed properly.

People don’t build buildings out of solid steel Bar, they use I beams and trusses and sections and channel. Making anchors is no different. Put the weight in the areas you need it, and remove it from the areas where you don’t. This is the most basic of engineering.

You can post the above, and the two attached images if you like.

THanks again
Ned
He also sent me the picture of the black Boss. If you zoom in, you can see the shackle preventer installed. A bolt would do the same job, as somebody else noted, so I'm not too worried about loosing the preventer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boss FEA Stress Design.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	34109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shackle Preventor.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	34110  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MansonBoss_Black01.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	34111  
Old 27-11-2011, 08:35   #53

Boat: PT-11

That thing is gonna bring up a ton of mud.
Old 27-11-2011, 08:42   #54

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
That's why you should have a wash down pump.
Old 27-11-2011, 09:30   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
maybe we can collectively convince manson to build the old supreme with a solid shank and a single hole for the shackle, and maybe a small hole near the front of the shank to attach a trip line shackle....
I actually asked Manson about that and did not get a positive response. Their reply indicated that the change would invalidate the certification of the anchor to which I replied (paraphrasing) "I don care about no stinkin certification" just want an anchor that works and fits on my sprit.

Maybe a larger number of requests will get a better response.
Old 27-11-2011, 10:23   #56

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 400

Hi,
I thought that Manson already had the best anchor in the world. Why did they change the design ??
Old 27-11-2011, 11:12   #57

SVNeko wrote: "That thing is gonna bring up a ton of mud."
Bringing up a ton of mud would be a testament to this anchor's holding ability, in my opinion.

KatKokomo wrote: "I thought that Manson already had the best anchor in the world. Why did they change the design ??"
There are plenty of out-of-business, obsolete companies (Polaroid and Kodak comes to mind) due resting on their laurels. A company needs to innovate and continue improving their designs if they want to survive.
Old 27-11-2011, 11:23   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKokomo View Post
Hi,
I thought that Manson already had the best anchor in the world. Why did they change the design ??
There's no such thing as "the best anchor in the world."

This anchor is better in my case than a supreme because it will fit on my bow without modifying my sailboat. Whether it has better performance than a supreme and whether its price point justifies any improvements, we'll see with time and testing.

Options are good. Innovation is good.
Old 27-11-2011, 11:24   #59
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
The best anchors always do.
Old 27-11-2011, 15:04   #60

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 400

cwyckham........this anchor is better in my case than a supreme because it will fit on my bow without modifying my sailboat....... That is a really good reason to buy an anchor.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor