Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2011, 06:17   #1

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
New Anchor - Manson Boss

A new reason to feel your old anchor is inadequate . . .

(I came across this press release on Duckworks.com, Duckworks - December Reports)
--------------------------

Manson Introduces New Boss Anchor at METS 2011
20-25% more holding power than Manson Supreme anchor in most seabeds
See at Stand 02.222
AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS, NOVEMBER 15, 2011 – At the opening of METS (Marine Equipment Trade Show) 2011 at the Amsterdam RAI today, Manson Anchors introduced the Boss Anchor – the New Zealand-based company’s most technically-advanced, safest anchor ever.
“An anchor is first and foremost a safety item. When a customer puts their family’s life and their boats value in your hands, you treat that trust with the utmost responsibility. There are no shortcuts or cheaper alternatives when lives are at risk. Our new Boss anchor is the culmination of Manson’s 39 years of manufacturing anchors with integrity, to the highest possible standards,” said Manson CEO Steve Mair.
The new Manson Boss boasts an average of 20-25% more holding power than the Manson Supreme in most seabeds. As with all Manson anchors, the Boss is manufactured at Manson’s purpose built facility in Henderson, New Zealand by Lloyd’s Register approved welders and using approved mill steel.
The Boss is packed with features and patented technology.
The shank, made from high tensile, Lloyd’s Register-approved (minimum 800mpa) steel, features the new, patented shackle Preventa™ and has been FEA optimized for strength. This puts weight in the right places with savings made in non-essential areas. The weight savings are transferred into the fluke to ensure even more holding power.
The unique FEA designed hole in shank for weight savings also doubles as a retrieval hole for attaching a second anchor to operate in tandem or buoyed retrieval line. Shank clearance has been streamlined for access into tight pulpits on motorboats.
Roller flaps have been specifically designed to make the anchor roll and adopt the correct setting attitude immediately upon connection with the sea floor.
A double-reinforced nose is twice the thickness and geometrically designed to give the strongest, tip welded for higher MPA. Like a wear edge on a digger bucket, this reinforced area lasts twice as long as other anchor edges and is weld hardened for long life.
For more information about the new Manson Boss and other Manson anchors, visit stand 02.222 at METS 2011
Old 21-11-2011, 06:23   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: New Anchor -- Manson Boss

Im sure its a great anchor, but im very happy with my Manson Supreme- I think my chain/shakel will break before my Manson Supreme pulls out
Old 21-11-2011, 07:23   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Its great to see that new anchor designs are being released after yachtsmen suffered for many decades with little development .

From the photo it does not look like there is an option to bypass the slot like on the Manson Supreme. Lets hope that this is not the case, at least on the larger models, otherwise it is not usable IMHO for overnight, or unattended anchoring.
Old 21-11-2011, 07:38   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Its great to see that new anchor designs are being released after yachtsmen suffered for many decades with little development .

From the photo it does not look like there is an option to bypass the slot like on the Manson Supreme. Lets hope that this is not the case, at least on the larger models, otherwise it is not usable IMHO for overnight, or unattended anchoring.
Wow good Eye there Noelex, (slot) that alone would keep me from buying it and I can see few who would want it like it is !
Old 21-11-2011, 07:40   #5

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I'm sure the anchor will be excellent withdrawing itself from the sea bottom when the tide changes directions regardless if that is your wish or not.
Old 21-11-2011, 07:42   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I'm sure the anchor will be excellent withdrawing itself from the sea bottom when the tide changes directions regardless if that is your wish or not.
That is a major design error- Ive bought 2 MS and have never used the slot and dont plan on it- if it looks as if Im in a foul area I tie a line on the hoop
Old 21-11-2011, 08:18   #7

I am very happy with my surpreme as well but this new anchor will probably fit bow pulpits much eaiser then the roll bar anchor
Old 21-11-2011, 08:25   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
From the photo it does not look like there is an option to bypass the slot like on the Manson Supreme.
In the past Manson has been quite happy to make shanks without the slot if so requested by the customer - actually cheaper and easier for them.

Also if you do have a slot, it is quite easy to block the shackle in place at the end of the slot with a bolt and washers.

On the face of it I really like the looks of this anchor. I am not a big fan of the roll bars.
Old 21-11-2011, 09:05   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
In the past Manson has been quite happy to make shanks without the slot if so requested by the customer - actually cheaper and easier for them.

Also if you do have a slot, it is quite easy to block the shackle in place at the end of the slot with a bolt and washers.

On the face of it I really like the looks of this anchor. I am not a big fan of the roll bars.
Thanks
Its nice to know they will do that.
Looking again at the photo they seem to have left a deeper slot near the end so I wonder if selecting a larger shackle will prevent it traveling up the slot. The problem is the shackle has to also match the chain and disabling the slot and matching the anchor and chain would seem to add an extra complication, when yachtsmen generally just want a simple hole in the end of the anchor.
Sometimes marketing seems to dictate solutions for problems that do not exist in the real world (apologies to all those marketing gurus that are sailing their 200 feet custom yachts )
Old 21-11-2011, 11:50   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

racely looking, is that a plus for an anchor?
Old 21-11-2011, 12:30   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Looking again at the photo they seem to have left a deeper slot near the end so I wonder if selecting a larger shackle will prevent it traveling up the slot. The problem is the shackle has to also match the chain and disabling the slot and matching the anchor and chain would seem to add an extra complication, when yachtsmen generally just want a simple hole in the end of the anchor.

Sometimes marketing seems to dictate solutions for problems that do not exist in the real world (apologies to all those marketing gurus that are sailing their 200 feet custom yachts )

Actually, there is a "preventer" that is bolted into the slot just behind the shackle, to "prevent" it from sliding up. No special shackle. (look at the end of the linked page)
http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Manson...ETS-2011/90787

But I would still preffer a single hole and add a tripping line when needed. However, for the power boat bunch, there is a reason; a sailor would lead a tripping line to winch if needed (or one of several other expedients), while a power boater wants to do everything with one windlass, preferably from the cockpit. Looked at in that way, for a certain market, it might be clever.

As for holding power, in a uniform bottom I believe them. In a more common (in the Chesapeake) gradiated bottom, with light stuff on top and harder stuff deeper, I'm less sure.

But it's great see to evolution. Might be great, might lead to something... might not. Beats standing still.
Old 21-11-2011, 13:24   #12

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

At least it's made from 800Mpa steel - unlike the Rocna
Old 21-11-2011, 13:52   #13

Boat: Niagara 35
The lack of a hoop is a game changer. I want to know when I can buy one
Old 21-11-2011, 14:33   #14

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: New Anchor - Manson Boss

Definitely looks sexy.
Old 21-11-2011, 14:37   #15

Why not? Have you had a problem with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I am not a big fan of the roll bars.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor