Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2019, 07:10   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS
Need new chain

I need a new anchor chain. I will flip this one temporarily, but need to replace. I never done this. Can I expect a chandlery, like Budget Marine to deliver new chain and dispose of the old rusty one? Otherwise, how do you deal with removing all that weight without special equipment. Thanks.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 07:28   #2

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: Need new chain

Alec, The old chain is either recyclable or garbage, I suspect it’ll be on you to get rid of it. Unless you have some type of cart or wheelbarrow to move it, I’ve used 5 gallon buckets, 50# in each, 10’ of loose chain in between each one and move them in caterpillar fashion.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 07:30   #3

Re: Need new chain

Some sellers of chain will deliver. You'll have to ask them, not us. I assume your local Budget Marine has a phone number????

A lot fewer will take the old chain back for recycle. You can talk to your marina, or call a local recycle company.

Handling anchor chain isn't hard, if you can get the drum of the chain to a bulkhead. You pull one end onto the boat, and use the windlass to load it on board.

Getting the old chain off is really easy if you have a bulkhead you can put the bow of the boat up to. Chain is easier to move around than you seem to think. You just drag as much as you can, as far as you can, and repeat. If that's too much work, I am sure you can find some local young fit men to help.

Or if you are in some place without any recycle programs, go offshore to water a mile deep and drop it off. It might or might not be 100% legal, but it would not have any environmental impact I would ever lose any sleep over.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote