Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 12:14   #46

Re: My brand new Anchor, Home made,

I had a marine salvage claim due to a boat dragging on anchor many years ago. Even during the claim process, i was not asked about the anchor which was pulled when the anchor chain fouled it. (I won't mention the brand, but it rhymes with Portress ).

I have since used Rocna and Manson supreme without any issues. However I swear that my Manson came with a recommendation not to use the rock slot as the primary attachment point. I'll try and dig up the documentation on that if I still have it.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 12:36   #47

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Just a question? How many times has anyone seen a tide change cause the boat to go directly over the anchor? Maybe with a slack tide and no wind.
You're asking the wrong question. The relevant question is, how many times has a boat drifted @ 180 degrees before putting enough force on the shank to cause the anchor to rotate and reset. Whether it goes directly over the anchor or not is immaterial.

If that's the question, my answer for my self alone is probably at least a few hundred. If you anchor in any tidal estuaries or harbors bounded by an island, it's going to happen pretty much twice a day. Whether the anchor rotates or not before the current exerts enough force to do it is going to be a matter of what the wind is doing.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 12:41   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Just a question? How many times has anyone seen a tide change cause the boat to go directly over the anchor? Maybe with a slack tide and no wind.

Not that I have all that much anchoring experience, but it has never happened to me. I base this on my Vesper shows where the boat has been by leaving a trail, and always for me the boat swings on a semi circle around the anchor, caused I believe by the wind.
Perhaps one day when there is zero wind I'll see it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 12:49   #49

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Every anchor on the market today was probably a homemade anchor at the beginning.
Not "homemade", but a prototype. It was built, tested, modified, tested again, modified again, etc.

Once the design was perfected and the best way to manufacture it was perfected, it was made and put on the market.

The major manufacturers can afford to do more testing and more sophisticated testing than someone building a single anchor in his home shop.
Old 14-04-2017, 12:51   #50
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't care what type of anchor other people chose to use, ..................................... as long as they aren't anchored anywhere near me!
Old 14-04-2017, 12:59   #51

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Around here in the land of deep, turbid water, precisely no one "sees" what is happening with thier anchor!

But seriously, I recommend that people view my 180 degree reset tests in the same vain as the automobile crash test dummy tests.

How often do you get into head-on collisions? Do you wear your seat belt?

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 13:04   #52

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I have anchored for many hundreds of nights with a Manson Supreme and have never used the slot, or felt the need to do so. Not often does the direction of pull change 180° very quickly but I don't get a sense that the Manson pulls out and then resets. Rather it rotates while stuck in the sand or mud. Very, very rarely have we anchored in rock - either boulders or a rock shelf and it is never a comfy night because you are relying on the anchor hooking in a crack or between boulders and a change in wind or tide can mean you are hooked into nothing. Interesting to put your hand on the chain and you can feel the vibration as the anchor tries to find something to hook.
Old 14-04-2017, 13:11   #53

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
You're asking the wrong question. The relevant question is, how many times has a boat drifted @ 180 degrees before putting enough force on the shank to cause the anchor to rotate and reset. Whether it goes directly over the anchor or not is immaterial.

If that's the question, my answer for my self alone is probably at least a few hundred. If you anchor in any tidal estuaries or harbors bounded by an island, it's going to happen pretty much twice a day. Whether the anchor rotates or not before the current exerts enough force to do it is going to be a matter of what the wind is doing.
I was speaking hypothetical for some comments. I would love the slotted shank for retrieval other than that it would scare me. The OP said it resets, I'll take his word for that. The question might be what type of bottom? It's a compromise one anchor can't fit all situations but how many can you have?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 13:25   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Not "homemade", but a prototype. It was built, tested, modified, tested again, modified again, etc.

Once the design was perfected and the best way to manufacture it was perfected, it was made and put on the market.

The major manufacturers can afford to do more testing and more sophisticated testing than someone building a single anchor in his home shop.
Yeah, sure they do. That's why Rocnas were bending at the shank. All that testing.
Old 14-04-2017, 15:58   #55

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Nice Prototype, Mr. B.

Structurally, it looks to be plenty strong. Especially given the oversize (for your boat) nature of the beast.

However, I believe it is premature to state that the design is finished/successful without a LOT of experience using the anchor.

I agree with Noelex's opinion that it is better for the anchor to remain engaged during wind/current reversals. That an anchor reliably resets not change this.

Ideally, I would like to see:

1 - An anchor that has high tendency to rotate and not disengage from the sea-bed.

2 - An anchor that re-sets reliably in case it does release.

3 - Beefy scantlings/strong material (you've got that covered, Mr B).

4 - Easy re-galvanizing.

5 - Looks good on boat (subjective, probably more important than most people are willing to admit).

On edit: 6 - Develop high holding power (how did I forget!).

In-case anyone missed it, here is my 'Rock Slot" test. It features the Super Sarca and Manson Supreme prior to its reassignment surgery.

Steve

Thanks for the video, Steve, Its very interesting, Action shots is what I like, I have watched all the video's of testing, That Rocna, Sarca and Manson have done,
My design is the best of the three, In my opinion, But Like i said previously, Im not God,

I like the idea of the bolt in the slot, Its a cheap alternative if the slot gives me any trouble, Which I dont think it will,
But I did put a lot of thought into it before I made it, Im practical, Theory is good, But it dont work in practice, Hahahahaha

That prototype I made would have worked, But I didnt like it, It could have caused problems in actual working conditions, which is why I added bits to it,
The D Shackle on mine is straight, The bow shackle can cause sticking in the slot, Thats why I didnt use it,
I will use three D shackles on the end, That will allow flexible movement on the end of the chain,
That will prevent sticking by twisting movements where it connects to the anchor in the slot,

I will be testing it on the boat at the entrance to Western Port Bay, which can flow at 8 knots to make sure it works before I venture up North,
Western Port Bay emptys into Bass Straight, Its Not the place for the faint hearted to anchor,
The tides and weather there can be pretty extreme, So I will give it a good run for the money,
I made it for extreme conditions, Because thats when you need it to work, Especially if your asleep at the time the bad weather hits,

First set will be by the motor, So I know it has the holding power,
Then its wait and see what happens,
No I wont be going down to look at it on the bottom, Its full of sharks, Big ones,
I will try it in different ground conditions, Weed, Sand, Pebbles, Etc, I dont expect it to work on a hard rock bottom,

I dont like short Rodes either, I like to chuck out as much chain as I have got, So the chain stays put on the bottom, Giving the anchor as much pulling and digging power as it can get, It also takes the jolt out of anchoring in high waves,
Im new to sailing and Im still learning, I admit that, Only the sailing part,
But I do have over fifty years of motor boating and anchoring experience with all sorts of anchors, Including a lump of heavy concrete, Which actually worked better than some of the crappy anchors we had back then, Lots of them are still in use today,

I also dont like parking near other boats, You park near me, I up the anchor and move,
I dont want you in my parking spot or any where near me, I prefer parking in a secluded bay by myself,
That Herd mentality, Where people all cluster together, Im not part of that,

But I have to get the boat back in the water first, Its a couple of months away yet,
Cheers Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 16:40   #56

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Dont be misled by the Home made tag I put on it,

Yes it was made in my garage at my home, = Home made,
I do have an Engineering workshop in my garage,

Yes it will be covered by insurance,, I doubt if they would even query it after seeing the piccys,
Snapped chain, Highly unlikely,
Ripping a cleat or two out of the boat, Not likely, as in very bad weather, I would apply extra fixings to lessen the strain on the cleats from the anchor chain,,
If they want Engineers certificate, Tests, Approvals,
Certification, Etc Etc, I can write it up on the spot for them, In my own name,

And they will accept them, With out question,

Engineering Blacksmith by Trade, 5 years,
Fully Qualified Practising Mechanical Engineer, 5 years,
Boilermaker/Certified DLI Welder, 40 Years,
And fifty years experience,
Do you think I have enough Qualifications,

I did many years ago, Forge a new D shackle for the Dockyards as they lost the last one that was made,

How can you lose an Eight Ton, D shackle, It was the one that held the anchor on a big ship,
8 feet long and 3 feet wide, hahahahahaha

Yep, Its home made, Hahahaha and very cheap,
I don't know Mr. B, that insurance company might send out divers to try and locate that anchor! (Sarchasm alert)
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 16:49   #57

Boat: Marples 37

In my experience of eight years living aboard pretty much exclusively at anchor, we've only had three times when we couldn't raise the anchor due to snagging. All three times it was the chain that was caught and not the anchor itself so the rock slot wouldn't have helped. I do avoid anchoring on rocky seabeds preferring sand or mud. Possibly the rock slot is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, and if that unneeded solution adds other weaknesses (ie accidental tripping) then it's probably not a good thing.
By the way there are plans online for the Bugel anchor which is pretty well proven and I think was the precursor to the next gen anchors.
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 18:10   #58

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hello Mr B,
While I applaud your initiative and ability to construct your own anchor the one question I do have is will your boat be covered by insurance should for some reason you anchor fails and your boat is damaged as a result. Knowing insurance companies I can see them asking questions regarding engineering certificates, tests etc. I understand your reluctance to spend money when you can make one for free but you may do yourself a greater financial diservice by not forking out for a engineered, tested and certified anchor.

Greg H
Lagoon 410
I have moored in a great many marinas where the ability of the rusty fittings / pontoons to stand up to a serious blow would concern me a lot more than this anchor plus it's not really "home made" since it's been made in a workshop by a qualified engineer with 40 years experience.

TwT
Old 14-04-2017, 18:17   #59

Dude don't worry about the haters.A lot of the people on here are haters and don't know what the concept of design/ fabricating is. Good on ya for making it happen and flexing your skills. The funny thins is it probably wasnt that hard to make.
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 18:30   #60

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Brian,
I'd have more faith in your anchor than most. Also in your engineering skills.

Contrary to popular belief, most anchor are made to sell, rather than keep a boat secure.

And most engineers nowadays spend there time creating paperwork to cover asses, rather than designing and building things that work.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor