Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2007, 20:21   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
I've seen it all...

While we're are on the subject of anchoring horror stories...

This past summer I witnessed the funniest one yet. A guy comes into a Maine cove in a Macgregor 26, he procedes to the bow to launch his Danforth type anchor with about 6 feet of the white, rubber coated chain & a 3/8 rode. He then attempts to do the "Hollywood Toss". He looked like he was throwing a shot put. He did this four times and pulled the anchor back "fouled" each time. I finally felt bad that he spent so much time watching people launch anchors on TV that I went over to help.

I explained nicely the concept of how an anchor digs in and how rode works and how you need to be moving backwards before the anchor actually hits the bottom etc etc.. Now keep in mind I did not TELL him how to anchor just explained the concept. The guy was so flamboyanty arrogant he proceded to tell me to "bug off buddy I know how to anchor a boat". I went my merry way because the guy was behind me not in front of me, if he had been in front he would have had an ear full, and I waited. About 9:30 p.m. I heard some yelling and saw lights it seems the "know it all" really had no clue how to anchor & dragged into a J Boat who were not real happy. He wound up motoring off in the dark with his wife yelling at him never to be seen again...

The arrogance of sailors with little knowledge cracks me up to no end. So just remeber technique is as important as your coice of ground tackle.
Old 17-01-2007, 20:28   #32

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic
I heard some yelling and saw lights it seems the "know it all" really had no clue how to anchor & dragged into a J Boat who were not real happy. He wound up motoring off in the dark with his wife yelling at him never to be seen again...

The arrogance of sailors with little knowledge cracks me up to no end. So just remeber technique is as important as your coice of ground tackle.
Don't you hate it when they do that though.

It's happened to me before, and tough to give chase when your anchor is secure.

Dave
Old 18-01-2007, 04:51   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
I'm usually yelled at for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Don't you hate it when they do that though.

It's happened to me before, and tough to give chase when your anchor is secure.

Dave
Sailing to agressively when my wife goes below to make a snack or get her book. I'm really sailing the same but it feels more agressive below decks to her.. So now when she goes below I ease the sheets a tad....

Mostly no yelling on our boat though.. The incident above reminded me of a Simpsons eoisode for some reason...

Tags
anchor