Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 13:23   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Mooron pendent

Black skirt...Halter...thong...Uh???...Not that I don't understand but I don't understand. Perhaps it was your terminology and fashion approach.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 13:40   #32
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I, also, don't understand all the original post, but I definitely understand the foolish plan to set an anchor rode across the fluke of an anchor.

Yeah, OK, so I did get the gist of it. But honestly, I don't get those terms (they seemed suggestive to me!)... it might just be an English/American language barrier thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I suppose if it was me I would have rowed over and asked if they had an email address because I had some good shots of their boat. I would have then taken some good shots and sent them along with some others like this. Sometimes photos make the point better..

Both pendants still intact but hooked on a Delta and yanked it free. It was still holding but chafing badly:
And UP! And SNAP!!!!!
These photos are all excellent, and speak a thousand words. I hope that sabray can perhaps use them in some way to demonstrate his point to the moorons.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 13:42   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Its definitely not a good idea to let the pendant chafe.

However, mooring for one night, I laid the rode alongside the anchor stem so it ran off the roller above the flukes. I put the pin in back in so the rode wouldnt jump out, evaluated my work and decided that it would be fine for the night. The alternative was to derig the anchor and I was being lazy.

If I was long term on a penant the anchor would be stowed or lashed at the mast.

Now if someone rowed up and told me I was being unsafe or something I might not be rude back but it would be presumptive on his part to come and question me and Depending how the conversation went I probably would not invite him on board for a beer.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 13:52   #34

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Black skirt...Halter...thong...Uh???...Not that I don't understand but I don't understand. Perhaps it was your terminology and fashion approach.

Weekend hp asses reply:
"So, we were there at anchor enjoying our annual rode-chaffing tradition, trying to beat last year's time of 12 weeks, 4 days and 17 hours - when we were rudely disturbed a person using their oars to sidle their tender in our general direction while waving their arms and gesticulating at our bow.

We hoped that the prevailing current would just carry them on by, but to our displeasure we realised that the person in question was mostly naked for the exception of a black skirt and a thin-leather buckled halter which appeared to restrict the movement of their head and jaw while pressing their nose to one side of their face! How very suggestive! I dropped my binoculars immediately and refused to share the sight with my wife.

I haven't seen the likes since I worked as a civil servant at the houses of parliament and frequented the BDSM clubs of Soho! Which made me think my deviant past was coming back to haunt me. We untied from the mooring and departed post-haste, never passing a word with the poor individual."

..but you're right, some people only want to seek advice when the mistake has already been made.
Old 16-04-2012, 15:14   #35

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Re: Should I Become a Mooring Nazi?

I was going to start a new thread with this post but Sabray has given me an opportunity here.

Many of my favorite places in the Virgin Islands have mooring balls to protect turtle grass and coral on the seabed. Many of those moorings are being damaged by inconsiderate or ignorant (or both) boaters who tie up with a single line from a cleat run through the mooring pendant back to another cleat on the other side of their bow. This practice significantly shortens the life of the moorings because as the boat swings in wind and current, the line saws through the pendant eye. The method prescribed by the National Park Service that owns over 100 moorings around St. John is to run either a single line back to its same cleat or two lines, one on each side of the bow, back to their same cleats.

Many times I have resisted the urge to paddle over to a nearby offender and offer to help him or her moor correctly. How would such an action likely be perceived by the boater being approached? If Sabray's experience is any indicator, not well.

Any ideas for an opening line other than "You're moored wrong"?
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 15:35   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Should I Become a Mooring Nazi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post

Any ideas for an opening line other than "You're moored wrong"?

"I'll give you a beer if you let me show you how to moore you properly"
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 15:58   #37

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Some racing yachts have "Horns" out front

I have also seen this done on cruising yachts where a piece of mast section was inserted through the hull and glassed back in and used for anchoring from.

It would be possible then for an anchor bridle to be run from the ends of the "Horns" and you would have a superior set-up like a cat has where chafe is all but eliminated plus you have the advantage of two lines instead of one.

Obviously you wont have a 20 ft section running through but a few feet would help in changing the angles and reducing the chance of chafe
Old 17-04-2012, 04:40   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Black skirt...Halter...thong...Uh???...
I suspect that the reaction may have had something to do with the Gender of OP...........maybe a raw nerve was touched?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 05:46   #39

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I suspect that the reaction may have had something to do with the Gender of OP...........maybe a raw nerve was touched?
I don't think it's clear what the gender of the OP is or whether English is her/his first language. I think we have a translational issue but dunno. But nobody likes to be criticized, particularly when they think they know what they're doing. And if it is a critical female, well ...

But to get some good from the thread, I offer a couple of thoughts: first, and forgive me for saying it, the term is pennant; there is no "d" in this nautical term. Yes, I know you can find "pendant" in the catalogs but that's because ignorance is bliss, much like the sailor whose pennant is chafing on the CQR.

Also, I had a boat on a mooring at a sailing club, and we all used double pennants. But no matter, they chafe. One needs to be checking often but boats just sit on their moorings (or slips) after the first blush of sailing wears off.

I don't find all cats ugly but that one sure is to my critical eye. Not being able to afford it has nothing to do with it.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 11:34   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I don't think it's clear what the gender of the OP is or whether English is her/his first language. I think we have a translational issue but dunno. But nobody likes to be criticized, particularly when they think they know what they're doing. And if it is a critical female, well ...

But to get some good from the thread, I offer a couple of thoughts: first, and forgive me for saying it, the term is pennant; there is no "d" in this nautical term. Yes, I know you can find "pendant" in the catalogs but that's because ignorance is bliss, much like the sailor whose pennant is chafing on the CQR.

Also, I had a boat on a mooring at a sailing club, and we all used double pennants. But no matter, they chafe. One needs to be checking often but boats just sit on their moorings (or slips) after the first blush of sailing wears off.
Not just the "catalogs" Yale Cordage & New England Rope, perhaps the two largest manufacturers of factory made/spliced mooring pendants, and line for yachts/boats, calls them "Pendants" too. But, not just them the Sailing Dictionary (Sheridan House Publishers) I have sitting on my desk says that pendant is a correct nautical term and pennant is an ALTERNATE spelling....

Before getting on a high horse about use/misuse of nautical terms you might consider taking the actual manufacturers to task first or the authors of the Sailing Dictonary Second Eddition...

Yale Polydyne II Morring Pendants
Maxi-Moor II \ Nylon Core Polyester Sleeve Double Braid Rope | Yale Cordage

New England Ropes Cyclone Mooring Pendants
New England Ropes - Product Details

The Sailing Dictionary Second Edition says that pennant is an alternate spelling to pendant. Pendant being the primary spelling...

EDIT: Whoops I almost left Samson ropes out of the game...

Samson Pendants:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ChSrlu5mfJyZTg
Old 17-04-2012, 12:39   #41

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

I always thought a "Pennant" was something you flew like a flag.
A "Pendant" is always "Hung" ...so in my opinion i would say "Pendant" but hey....i was raised in England so what do i know..

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 12:52   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

FWIW, I had never heard of either term before this thread (in the context used) - to be honest I still only have a vague idea that it is something to do with the bow mooring arrangement. I suspect it's not some sort of flag! nor a small medallion / broach.....
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 13:03   #43

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Some ships of OLDE (the most notable) would have a figure head (Usually a large busted woman) to appease the Sea gods. as the lines to the anchor where worn close to the "Ladies neck"(figure head) one could say she was wearing a pendant made of rope or chain.
From certain perspectives it would look like the graceful lady was wearing her Anchor and Rode like a pendant.

A pendant is something which is worn below ones neck.
A pennant is something which is flown from the mast.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 13:21   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I get it now; "mooron pendent" was supposed to be "mooring pendant?"

Ah, nothing like a pendant thread to get the juices flowing.
Old 17-04-2012, 13:52   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm going to have a beer and then go find some rope! Is rope correct before I put it on the boat?