Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 03:54   #1

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II
Mooring Light ?

this seemed the best place to put this so here goes. i have a santana 2023 and as of yet do not have a masthead light ( this will change next season ). so as of right now i use a 360 degree waterproof signaling flashlight rated for up to two miles. i prefer to hoist it up the halyard then lash it off about 3/4 of the way back to the boom so it will have a bit more altitude and less chance of being blocked by the mast, but my father insists that it is better to leave it on the jibsheets when it is furled. can some body give me some input on where is the best spot? the only time im anchored after dark is overnights in the coves in low anchored traffic around my area and never leave the boat. both methods i described above have been used many times and have had no issues with being spotted, but i do want opinions of others for safety. thanks in advance.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:21   #2

I have seen a number of Santanas that are trailered with the mast down - if yours comes down, then mast head LED light first project.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:22   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I do not believe that it is required to be at the masthead. On our old boat we used to use a portable LED anchor light in lieu of the power-hungry masthead light. We hung it off the backstay at head height and I think it was perfectly adequate.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:59   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
I recall reading somewhere that you are not supposed to have an anchor light aft of the mast, the rationale being to warn other boats away from your anchor rode. I think the most important thing is being easily seen.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:06   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post
... my father insists that it is better to leave it on the jibsheets when it is furled...
30 (a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:
  1. in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;

See Inland RULE 30:
ANCHORED VESSELS AND VESSELS AGROUND

Rule 30 & 31: Anchored Vessels & Vessels Aground and Seplanes

Then thank your father.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:32   #6

thanks for the info. ive been looking at a mast crane that has one mounted and that is the next real project.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:34   #7

as far as being unbroken line of sight, for having it on the jibsheets, wouldnt the furler have the chance to block line of sight as well?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:40   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Smaller boats swing so much at anchor its not worth worrying about. The backscatter from the light will prevent it from being completely hidden as well.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:51   #9

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
30 (a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:
See Inland RULE 30:
ANCHORED VESSELS AND VESSELS AGROUND

Rule 30 & 31: Anchored Vessels & Vessels Aground and Seplanes

Then thank your father.

Gord you only posted part of the rule.

You are required to put one in the fore part if you are going to have another one at the stern at a lower height.

From the link you posted:

(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:
    2. at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in subparagraph (i), an all-round white light.

If you are less than 50 meters, then you can display one light. It goes where it can best be seen, not necessarily in the fore part.

From link above:

(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:59   #10

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
I use a hanging light like this one, but with an LED bulb.

aquasignal Produkt Katalog

The places I anchor I'm worried about recreational boaters seeing me. I believe they're more likely to see an anchor light closer to eye level than at the top of a 50 foot mast. And if it needs repair I don't have to go to the masthead to fix it.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:17   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Gord you only posted part of the rule ...
I think my distaste for erroneous information is fairly well known around here.
Fortunately, one never need be wrong for long, on the CF.
Thanks John!!!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:32   #12

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Its common here for boats not to use anchor lights at all. We went into Whitehouse bay last weekend at night. 4 boats anchored in there already, only one anchor light! And one of them was a new 50 foot catamaran... Can't understand how you can have money for such a thing and not put on your anchor light!
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:34   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
Its common here for boats not to use anchor lights at all. We went into Whitehouse bay last weekend at night. 4 boats anchored in there already, only one anchor light! And one of them was a new 50 foot catamaran... Can't understand how you can have money for such a thing and not put on your anchor light!
In the US, in designated anchorages, one is not obligated to show a light although why one would not do so escapes me. Several years ago we had an occassion in the anchorage on the Manatee River where a boat arriving in the dark bashed into the side of an unlit yacht as the helmsman on the arriving boat was watching the lights of the other boats beyond the unlit boat and simply could not see it until too late. Fortunately the damage was only scraped paint and a few bent stanchions but...

In addition to our masthead light, we also hoist a Davis Mega-Lite from the back-stay:

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:36   #14

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
The preferred way of showing an anchor light in Mexico and south, and common over the South Pacific, is to hoist a small light up about eight or ten feet off the deck, before or after the mast but usually aft of the mast on the backstay. The thinking is not to warn ships that they are there close to the coast but to warn local pangas and dinghies traveling through the anchorage that they are there; those drivers are usually looking ahead along the horizon, not up in the sky, so the lower light is felt to be more effective.
Mexico has a practical approach: a boat is not required to show a light, but if you don't and get hit, you are at fault.
I use an LED light made by Bebi (in Fiji):
LED Anchor Light-Waterproof & Rugged for Marine RV and Offgrid Use
Lots of illumination, low wattage, and durable enough to get a lifetime warranty.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:10   #15

Boat: Swan 56
There's the colregs requirement.....and then there's the practical requirement.

I've been on a anchored boat that's been hit by a Thai fishing boat in the middle of the night. Waking up in the galley with water coming down the companionway is not a nice way to wake up. Fortunately it was a steel boat and didn't hole, but the repair was extensive.

Since then, I have battery operated flashing lights that have a solar switch so that they come on at night and go off during the day. I hang one down each side of the boat in all but the quietest anchorages.

Not colregs compliant - don't care
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring