Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 20:17   #91

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Mooring Etiquette : Questions

Dockhead, I have thousands of nights at anchor. Your lack of understanding has become apparent. Please read the explanations given by other posters if you don't like mine. Calling me inexperienced doesn't help your argument in the least.
What in the world do you think happens if someone drags and others have to pull anchor in a hurry when others are over your anchor? Sometimes one has to anchor in sub-optimal locations to avoid potential problems.

In crowded anchorages it is rare not to have a few boats drag anchor during squalls and to ignore that possibility is not something I do. What you and your experience do is up to you.

Assuming all the boats around you are using the same scope as your example does is wishful thinking at best. Hope it works out for you.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 20:22   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Actually, aside from the way different vessels are affected, there can be differences due to wind, and definitely current, not to mention other forces, but I have not experienced any that be sufficient cause swings in directly opposite directions, even over short periods, when adjacent vessels in the usual private cruising size range are involved.
Exactly.

That's exactly why even very different vessels are just fine with swinging circles overlapping to some extent.

The more crowded the anchorage, the closer together you need to anchor, the more important matching vessel type and scope becomes important.

Identical vessels with identical scope can anchor even just a few feet from each other, with no problem. And haven't we all seen it!

Here's a good technique for picking a spot which reduces the overlap:

Click image for larger version

Name:	where-to-drop-your-anchor-1024x576.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	134652

"In a crowded anchorage, your swing circles will all intersect and you need to rely on everyone reacting to the wind in a similar way and swinging together. Stay further away from boats on moorings since they don’t swing through a large circle like you will.

"If you’re on rope rode (rode is the anchor chain and/or rope) and the others around you are on chain, then you’ll need to give them a bit more room as you’ll tend to move about more in light winds and they’ll just rotate around where the chain touches the bottom instead of around their anchor.

"If you are in tight quarters, choose the largest gap you can and then drop your anchor even with the stern of the boat upwind of the gap. This will take some practice in picturing where you’ll come to rest."

The 6 Most Common Anchoring Mistakes: Keep Your Boat Off the Beach - Sail Mentor

"Ideally you should anchor outside the swinging area of other boats, but this is rarely practical in a popular anchorage. How do you stay clear of nearby boats? Placing your anchor astern of another boat is relatively safe as long as your scope does not significantly exceed theirs. Even if you drop your anchor abeam or slightly forward of a nearby boat, you should swing clear as long as your bow ends up behind their stern. If you anchor forward of a boat, be sure your anchor is also forward of theirs and is some distance to the right or left of it."

http://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising...ee-dimensions/
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 20:25   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
And studiously avoided every time.
Wrong. Please read previous posts.

In crowded anchorages it is sometimes best to raft up with other boats for the night. I do this often and enjoy the company of other sailors. Rafting up does have it's own set of dangers though and not all locations and conditions are suitable for it.
Old 01-11-2016, 20:36   #94

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post

In crowded anchorages it is sometimes best to raft up with other boats for the night. I do this often and enjoy the company of other sailors. Rafting up does have it's own set of dangers though and not all locations and conditions are suitable for it.

I can't remember the last time I saw boats rafted together in the Caribbean except possibly a few charter boats.
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 20:41   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Dockhead, I have thousands of nights at anchor.
Sorry, I'm just not buying that.

Quote:
Please read the explanations given by other posters if you don't like mine.
No one else has said that you can't anchor with overlapping swinging circles.

I'm guessing you've never even seen a crowded anchorage, to post this kind of nonsense.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AerialCowpet6.png
Views:	173
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	134656
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 20:46   #96

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The La Paz Waltz is a well documented situation. It is exacerbated by La Paz often being nearly the first real anchorage experience for new cruisers from California.... Jim
Gosh, I was first there in the 60's, and until today not heard the waltz term. I disagree about California cruisers and La Paz or anywhere south on the Pacific Coast. Most of the anchor hassles I've seen occurred the the crowded anchorages around California's Channel Islands, or in the BVI between New York and New Jersey charter sailors (I only judge them by by accent). Mostly they are entertaining discussions, but sometimes someone is correct and damage ensues.
Old 01-11-2016, 20:53   #97

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:

Is that something they taught you at SUNY?

A raft-up in a crowded anchorage does a great dis-service to the other folks there, especially in squally conditions, for it will not behave like any other anchored vessel. Of course, rafts never drag, never get their multiple (if used) rodes tangled when the raft rotates, and there are never rigs tangled when a big wake rips through the anchorage. There are far more opportunities for damage in a raft-up than in even a crowded anchorage.

Re your experience: Could you please point us to your posts where you desribe your experience. So far, what I have found tells us that you were a merchant mariner with a lot of miles, that you had m/m training at SUNY, and that you have had boats for 45 years, and that you now own a small day-sailor/racer yacht.

That does not relate much to your cruising experience. Most cruisers are happy to share experiences with specific boats in specific places in specific time frames. Such knowledge about you helps us understand your points of view, and lends veracity to your posts. Lacking such info leads us to discounting your statements and suggestions. Not fair? Invasion of privacy? Could be, but that's how many of us feel, especially in the face of statements like yours about never anchoring with overlapping swing circles. From my amateur observation point, that philosophy is true of anchoring of merchant ships, but not for cruising yachts.

You are free to tell us whatever you wish; we are free to interpret what you say however we see fit in that info environment.

Jim
Old 01-11-2016, 21:31   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Sorry, I must have missed them all. Just to clarify, could you point me to any of your previous posts which actually answer the questions:

"And how many of those miles were in small boats?"
and
"In how many harbors have you anchored a cruising sailboat?"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 21:54   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm guessing you've never even seen a crowded anchorage, to post this kind of nonsense.

Attachment 134656
Another one for the edification of the ill informed

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 22:11   #100

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, this has been an interesting thread. But I'd just like to go back to something you said, Jim, that very often works for me too. I'll often swing by the boats in the anchorage and check in with them in a sense. They feel better, and if there are any problems or bumps in the night, you are more likely to hear a friendly voice in the dark and wind than someone cursing you.
Quote:
So, what is the prudent cruiser to do? We've found that if close proximity seems likely, making verbal contact before anchoring helps defuse the situation.
Jim
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 22:39   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Sorry, I must have missed them all. Just to clarify, could you point me to any of your previous posts which actually answer the questions:

"And how many of those miles were in small boats?"
and
"In how many harbors have you anchored a cruising sailboat?"
Please learn to take a little initiative on your own. I'm not going to spoon feed you.
Old 01-11-2016, 22:48   #102

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Please learn to take a little initiative on your own. I'm not going to spoon feed you.
All hat,no cattle... comes to mind

Jim
Old 01-11-2016, 22:51   #103

Quote:

A raft-up in a crowded anchorage does a great dis-service to the other folks there, especially in squally conditions, for it will not behave like any other anchored vessel. Of course, rafts never drag, never get their multiple (if used) rodes tangled when the raft rotates, and there are never rigs tangled when a big wake rips through the anchorage. There are far more opportunities for damage in a raft-up than in even a crowded anchorage.

Jim
Raft-ups are common practice in a lot of areas. They are necessary to get more boats in a smaller anchorage. If you open your eyes you will see one in the pictures posted above. Like I said before there are conditions that would make rafting-up ill advised. Sorry you missed it.
Old 01-11-2016, 23:03   #104

Quote:
All hat,no cattle... comes to mind

Jim
Whatever that means.
Old 01-11-2016, 23:04   #105

Quote:

Jim
Your jealousy is showing and it's not pretty.

Tags
mooring