Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 08:21   #1

Mooring a 13 ton sailboat

Hi everyone,
I have a 1974 Morgan 41 Out Island. It displaces about 27,000 lbs. I want to moor it every summer, which would be from May to September. It would go on my current mooring in fresh water (a protected bay on one of the Great Lakes).

The system begins with three mushroom anchors (100 lbs, 200 lbs, 250lbs) which were laid down 30 years ago. The depth of the water is around 8 feet. I will replace all chain, swivels, etc. Currently a 30 ft O'Day swings on the mooring with no issues.

It is a fairly protected spot but can be counted on for a few good storms each season, with winds up to 30-40 mph.

Everyone tells me that I am silly to moor it and I should keep at a Marina. Yes, it could break loose but the yearly $ savings and the fact that it will be right at our house is too much to give up.

I think, with the right size and length of chain I will be safe to moor this heavy sailboat.

Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.
jwanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Mooring a 13 ton sailboat

https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/skrew-mooring-anchor

We recommend the SK6400 retails for $338.96. A concrete mooring would be almost 10x that amount and twice the labor.

The Spade Skrew takes less than an hour to install. Is always in the same spot. Harbor Masters love them as its considered a temporary fixture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwanek View Post
Hi everyone,
I have a 1974 Morgan 41 Out Island. It displaces about 27,000 lbs. I want to moor it every summer, which would be from May to September. It would go on my current mooring in fresh water (a protected bay on one of the Great Lakes).

The system begins with three mushroom anchors (100 lbs, 200 lbs, 250lbs) which were laid down 30 years ago. The depth of the water is around 8 feet. I will replace all chain, swivels, etc. Currently a 30 ft O'Day swings on the mooring with no issues.

It is a fairly protected spot but can be counted on for a few good storms each season, with winds up to 30-40 mph.

Everyone tells me that I am silly to moor it and I should keep at a Marina. Yes, it could break loose but the yearly $ savings and the fact that it will be right at our house is too much to give up.

I think, with the right size and length of chain I will be safe to moor this heavy sailboat.

Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:49   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Mooring a 13 ton sailboat

I would second a helical screw mooring. The holding strength is far higher than any reasonable anchor, or dead weight system. The only caviat being that if you have a rock bottom you can't really use them. Instead you (obviously not you, but someone) can drill a hole in the rock and epoxy a steel rod into the hole.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, sail, sailboat