Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 09:47   #16

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch
Re: Minimum chain length for the pacific

Anything over 100 meters , no matter Cat or Mono is too much 5 to 1 Scope no issues , and a good anchor , were do you plan dropping Anchor in the middle of the ocean,
This isi as usual scare mongering , and too much money ,were we think we can buy our way out of issues , when all it takes is good seamanship.
OH I better put out 12'1 because I am in cat in sand in 10 meters with a Rocna .
well its your money.

Last point , what is different with the Pacific to other bodies of Water around the World
Answer . Nothing so why do people ask how much for the Pacific.
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:49   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Sailors having a strong opinion? What sort of nonsense is that LOL
And most of have several opinions every topic!

If we agree, someone changes sides.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:22   #18

Boat: Amel 50

100 meters chain and 100 ft of rode worked well for me in the S. Pacific. Also, get an oversized new design anchor.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:37   #19

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

And you don't need anything for the crossing.

Only when you end up somewhere...
I was thinking the same thing.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:19   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Anything over 100 meters , no matter Cat or Mono is too much 5 to 1 Scope no issues , and a good anchor , were do you plan dropping Anchor in the middle of the ocean,
This isi as usual scare mongering , and too much money ,were we think we can buy our way out of issues , when all it takes is good seamanship.
OH I better put out 12'1 because I am in cat in sand in 10 meters with a Rocna .
well its your money.

Last point , what is different with the Pacific to other bodies of Water around the World
Seems as though you have anger issues. I don’t think anyone suggested chain more than 100 meters. And the Pacific does require more extensive anchoring capabilities in many areas.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:58   #21

Boat: Bénéteau Oceanis 393 Clipper, 12 m / 39'

I’m currently on a circumnavigation, having sailed halve of it now.
I got 100 m chain and I had to use all 100 m several times. You will get to places with heavy winds and where you have to anchor in 30 m water depth. This happened to me in the Caribbean as well as in the South Pacific (Tonga, Pitcairn and others)
Right now I’m at New Zealand. Here they have beautiful bays where you find mooring buoys in shallow water close to the coast. But often the places where you can anchor have a depth of 20 to 30 m. So I feel safe here right now in 22 m depth with lots of chain.
100 m is the maximum. I would not anchor in depth where I nee more than that.
Skipper-Ingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:05   #22

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
....what is different with the Pacific to other bodies of Water around the World
We in the PNW of the US and BC know there is a huge variety of bottom types, and it is very difficult to trust the charts, much less carry a selection of anchors to address them. In one bay, we will have everything from cobble, mud, heavy weeds, strewn with patches of sand and lots of boulders.

We residents use a lot of Bruce, CQR's (though getting less with the newer Delta and Rocna anchors) and other 'plow' types.

On my 24' fishing boat, I use a Bruce with 100' of chain and 250' of nylon rode because I can drag it to where I need it to be on the fish, and it will hold.

On our 17 ton motor sailer, I had a 44lb CQR from Danforth on 250' chain that would set deep in only 5', and we used it in all types of bottoms with tremendous success. My second anchor was another CQR with 50' of ⅜" chain and 250' of 1" nylon rode.

While diving in the FL Keys, I mostly saw Danforth sand anchors, big ones, typically 50% bigger than anywhere else. There were a few plows.

Diving off San Diego, Bruce, CQR and plows. Lots of sand, some mud, but very few rocks and boulders. Most use a length of chain and the rest nylon rode.

I agree with Boatman, to look for anchorages where we can use what we have. But as far as trusting charts, too iffy. Local knowledge has more weight, and that's where the VHF comes in handy. However, once you enquire, you will quickly discover how many others are anxious to use the same info.

Otherwise, here in the PNW, it's a crap shoot in a new-to-you bay. Thankfully, most anchorages are fairly flat and shallow. While allowing for an 8-10' tide and a current swing, they are easy to set into ....with the right ground tackle.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:45   #23

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I was fine with a half barrel of 5/16 HT chain, which is about 82 meters, but I used all of it a few times.

I was NOT fine with 60 ft of chain and the rest rope--pulled the anchor up at Pitcairn and there was only one strand out of 3 holding us off the rocks.

Before you leave, you should try retrieving your anchor in 100 ft of water. It is a real test for your windlass. Windlass maximum pull ratings are wildly optimistic.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 17:17   #24

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSmith View Post
Thank you all for the information. As gjordan mentioned, we have a cat and I woukd like to carry the minimal amount of chain that would be necessary in most situations.

Our 55 foot catamaran came from NW France via Med, Carib, E coast of US to Maine, Panama to Galapagos, Fr Poly, Cook, Niue, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia to NZ, where we bought her. Spade S140 and 63m 1/2 inch chain was on her and presumably good enough for all those spots. There are a couple 50m lengths of 3/4 inch 3-strand in a cockpit locker but they don’t look much used.

All chain rode is useful for all the coral bombies and as a catamaran you’ll have a long nylon bridle all the time to act as a snubber - we have 5m legs which we shorten as needed to keep it off the bottom.

The odd time you anchor deeper than 10-15m you can use less scope with all chain rode - 3:1 rather than 5:1/7:1.

Where is your windlass and chain locker located? If well back from the front beam or in your main beam then the weight is not so big a deal.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 17:27   #25

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

We've been on the hook for most of the past three years and are half way through our RTW. We have 100 meters of chain and an anchor that is 1 size larger than that recommended by the manufacturer. 100 meters should do you fine - if you need more than that - as Boatman said - have an extra 100 meters of rode tucked away somewhere (we do)

We've only used the full 100 once - the rest of the time we use less than 60-70 meters and we like to go 5:1 on the scope

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 19:44   #26

Boat: Hudson 50

I agree. This is my set up too plus a second anchor with its own chain and nylon rode
Old 10-03-2019, 00:01   #27

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

There is one more thing that is important...Very important. Over size your anchor. Rode, chain or otherwise. That said I have 275’ of 5/16/ bbb. That is in my opinion adaquate and no more than adaquate. I do have an oversize Rochna which is why my setup is adaquate. An oversize anchor weighs a lot less tha a bunch of chain and in my opinion is the best answer for the multihulls.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:39   #28

I would not anchor in a depth I can not dive to retrieve an anchor.
mat jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:42   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Minimum chain length for the pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat jam View Post
I would not anchor in a depth I can not dive to retrieve an anchor.
Man you like it tough..
I use the windlass..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:09   #30

boatman61,

I do too, and have two windlasses, but where I am there is much fouling and have come to believe I will not drop unless I can dive IF I have to. Hopefully I can come to gain your confidence and experience. I may just choose to anchor next to you and hook you chain so I do not have to worry about mine )
mat jam is offline   Reply With Quote