Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 03:26   #181

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Minimum anchors size, what’s the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
. .. The main benefit of a larger anchor is not just greater security, as many assume, but opening up anchoring options that would not otherwise not be possible. Those anchorages with poorer holding, worse protection, or needing a longer scope suddenly become available, or can be used overnight rather than only as temporary daytime anchorages. Marginal anchorages become safe enough to use in much higher wind speeds.. .

Indeed -- very true words.

Another reason why different cruising use cases will give different answers on this. The casual cruiser who is rarely far from home or at least from a safe haven, will have much less need -- THEORETICALLY -- to oversize the anchor, than long distance, long term cruisers who might have to weather strong weather at anchor and might not have the choice of an anchorage with perfect holding or unlimited swing room.

Long distance, long term cruisers who might have to anchor in all kinds of conditions and all kinds of weather will want to maximize their options on both ends with a lot of chain PLUS the heaviest anchor they can practically handle.

But I say THEORETICALLY even for the casual cruiser because -- this is one of those things that when you need it, you REALLY need it, and even close to home sometimes you might get caught out.

This is a really personal issue for me at the moment because I just spent a few weeks in an extremely remote place with no charts, no ports, and not a single decent anchorage. We were often anchored in more than 30 meters of water and on very marginal bottoms. The 100 pound Spade and 330 feet of 1/2" chain we have was most assuredly NOT overkill in this situation, and in fact was only more or less adequate because we didn't have any really bad weather.

So I would say Mike's advice is sound for almost anyone. Ground tackle which is not the absolute best you can afford and which you can practically handle is adequate just right up until that moment when it is NOT. And then you will really regret downsizing it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 05:23   #182

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Yes that was one escape scenario except that there were decent breakers on downwind side of inlet where there was no jetty and not sure the current didn’t fan out over the breakers somewhat. And the wind was about 20 degrees off dead downwind coming in the inlet so sailing out would have required short tacking. So anchoring was not the only escape, and it was far less stressful that the current was ebbing as a flood tide would have swept me toward a closed drawbridge upstream of narrow harbor entrance.

So you are right to ask the questions- as one cannot rely solely on the anchor at all times. A great setting anchor meant I was able to do plan A which was safest and most comfortable option for unclogging and bleeding the fuel system.

(And funny thing is my tank and filter were squeaky clean. A few random aluminum shavings left from a new inspection port I installed precisely so I could scrub the inside of the tank clean happened to set up a strainer at a 90 dry bend at top of fuel tank and the one little bit of sludge in the tank lodged against this. )

Back to the anchor. Short version is sometimes it’s your only option and it better set. Sometimes it’s your best option and you’re really glad to be able to stop at that scenario.

Thanks for the clarification, M. The complexion of the inlet as you now have described certainly provided some real challenges for you and thankfully you had positive results with your anchor. Great story. And, in regards to your fuel problem, sometimes Murphy rears his ugly head in spite of our diligence and sound practices. That's where good seamanship and a little luck comes in handy. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 27-08-2018, 05:45   #183

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"I’m not sure what that weight is but I would guess at around 20 kgs or 40 pounds. So whatever sized boat you have, if you have less than 20 kgs and are a cruiser then you will more than likely be let down by your anchor in these rare emergency situations where you need to drop it now and you need it to hold immediately." Fuss

Fuss,
This is a remarkable statement when you state "whatever sized boat you have" you'll need a 40 lb anchor. I have known sailors from everywhere in the world over the last 30 years who sailed boats under 30 feet across the North Atlantic, Pacific and remote areas in the Arctic with no more than a 30 +/- pound anchor. How was this possible? Roger Taylor of Ming Ming fame has traveled thousands of miles in the remote Arctic above Norway, Greenland and beyond without even an anchor deployed on his bow. I doubt he has anything even close to a 40-pound anchor on his boat. As Malbert's story above attests, even with sound maintenance practices, you may find yourself in an unexpected situation but to put all your candy in the anchor jar for salvation is, in my opinion, patently naive. Good seamanship is always your best alternative and some luck from the gods. There is no such thing as an anchor that will bite in every situation . . . no matter how heavy. Best, Rognvald

Tags
anchor, size