Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 05:05   #226
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Mediterranean Mooring

Portals Vells Mallorca.
My kind of mediterranean mooring..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:30   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
what?

You didnt like ?

What gives you that impression
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:25   #228
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 01-05-2014, 10:19   #229

I just found a video of my former neighbour in Samos Marina coming into the town quay around the corner in Pythagorion.

Maybe Tomasz recognises it from when he was in Samos..

Pythagorion is still the most enjoyable place to have been med moored at I have experienced so far. If I ever go that way again I will "brave" the med mooring rather than take the easy option and just anchor off.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:25   #230
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I just found a video of my former neighbour in Samos Marina coming into the town quay around the corner in Pythagorion.

Pythagorion is still the most enjoyable place to have been med moored at I have experienced so far. If I ever go that way again I will "brave" the med mooring rather than take the easy option and just anchor off.
Ha!
He had the three foot swing on the stern that I leave I tighten up on everything but leave room for the snubber to move in a heavy wind/swell. I make sure the stern wont hit the dock but allow for some give on the anchor chain/rode.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:34   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
As I'm about to (at long last!) explain in the BiB2 thread, it is not exceeding their LOAD limit which breaks anchor chains; it's exceeding their ENERGY limit.
Well, that time has finally come: the beginning of the end is up, in the thread 'Bigger is Better - part 2"
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 16:02   #232

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
A "how not to" video marketed as a "how to"

watch from 3:30 and be baffled

This was so bad..... I hope no one who bought this video will ever moor in the same harbour as me.

Just standard
Bang on another boat and make it THEIR problem to moor Your own boat.
Just standard
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 16:22   #233

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Yes, I remember the boat
And Pithagorio is surely more enjoyable place than Samos Marina nearby.
Funnily, this old harbour affords also more protection, as it is not so exposed to katabatic winds as marina
Old 12-05-2014, 16:31   #234

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
One boat has 4 boat length of chain out the other has 6 boat lengths of chain out. The scope, not the number of boat lengths of chain, more directly correlates to the security. Therefore it is better to to talk about scope rather than boat lengths of chain when discussing Med mooring. (Although when dropping the anchor using boat lengths is easier to judge)
I was absent from the board for some time, so couldn't make a short comment earlier

From my observations of Med moored boats I'm pretty convinced that longer boat need a longer chain to have a similar frequency of side movements in crosswind as shorter boat with shorter chain. This is the reason I like to think in boatlengths while putting out the chain.
I'm not sure about physics behind this - it is just my observation.

Anyway - what we can agree easily is: the longer the chain You can put out, the better
Old 13-05-2014, 02:18   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Just standard
Bang on another boat and make it THEIR problem to moor Your own boat.
Just standard
Hoppy and Doublewhiskey.

There was nothing wrong with the methods used to stern tie this boat.

It all looked perfectly acceptable

Your comments seem to be picky and pedantic
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 02:42   #236
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Hoppy and Doublewhiskey.

The best way to med moor is to get help from he neighbouring boats, fender up , lie against them etc if you need to . Only macho men just barrel back irrespective . Nothing worse then seeing some guy screaming back into a tight slot determined to " do it for himself "

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13-05-2014, 03:00   #237

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Hoppy and Doublewhiskey.

So I need to elaborate a little
On the video the weather was perfect, so everything ended well.
The boat in question came to the leeward moored boat, passed a line and was pulled to the quay by the crew of this other boat. It happens all the time in Greece and it is just bad practice.
In any more of crosswind the boat coming by stern to the side of the bow of moored boat and stopping for passing the lines can easily have her bow blown off. Next step is the approaching boat T-boned on the bow of the moored boat, sitting on the chain of the moored boat.

After having tens of boats fouling Your chain this way and breaking out Your anchor, You tend to be picky and pedantic about methods used

Oh, one more thing - me and hoppy know the place well. I moored there probably more than thirty times (Patmos is a must see for any of our friends visiting us in the area). The place is notorious for gusts blowing alongside the quay, so it is not advisable to approach a leeward moored boat in anything except almost dead calm.

Cheers

Tomasz
Old 13-05-2014, 17:40   #238

Cruisers Forum Supporter

KEEPING THE STATION ON THE ENGINE

Sometime it is necessary to use Your engine for a limited period, to keep the boat on the station when Med moored in harbour in strong cross wind. It is useful rather only as an interim measure, so You better do not wait until Your anchor start to drag. In really fierce crosswind it is often necessary to arrange for putting a spider web of lines connecting all affected boats or to lay out additional anchors at the angle to windward, as described in earlier posts in this thread. Both need cooperation between involved boat crews, and arranging the cooperation demands the time. Motoring can buy this time without dragging an anchor. If You want to use Your engine remember that it will be really useful only if it will help to counter the side force created by wind and pushing the bow to leeward. To achieve this You need to make loose Your leeward mooring line (or lines) and keep the boat at the quay by the windward mooring line only. The revs on the engine should be so adjusted to keep the windward mooring line well tight and to keep the bow pointing slightly to windward. The boat is safe now, and need only one person on board, adjusting the revs according to the changes of the wind force. The rest of the party can take part in the group efforts of all crews to secure the boats permanently.
Old 13-05-2014, 18:14   #239

Tomasz

Your posts are pure gold. Where were you when I needed you in Tonga?

I realised the possibility of what you wrote about -- 'describing an arc' about a single tight line, and adjusting the heading with the propwash over the rudder, to provide complete station-holding with only one line ashore ...

... but almost too late, after sending a crewman ashore with a knife when our anchor suddenly dragged in a squall, Med moored in Nuku'alofa marina.

The wind causing the anchor to drag was from the starboard beam.

The line he was preparing to cut was the starboard quarter sternline
(which was eyespliced, - grrrr - and the loop had been placed over the shore cleat - double grrrr!)

I was planning on a 'cut and run', because the alternative was to bust the spade rudder as the wind backed us into the breakwater we were stern-to.

But then I realised I could get away with creating a bit more slack in the other sternline

So there was no impediment to slewing the bow clockwise into the wind enough to be able to drive the whole boat to starboard towards our neighbour (luckily the marina was only half full so the spacings were generous), as well as away from the breakwater.

I could then hold station for the remainder of the squall, motoring ahead against the stbd sterline, which had been taken to a primary winch. So it was abeam of the rudder, and highly effective.

I never gave the instruction to cut the expensive, heavy, 3 strand line, but the guy ashore touched the sharp blade to it [so it just took the weight of the knife] while awaiting it*, and the strain was such that all the fibres the knife was touching parted. Luckily the line was so oversized that the remainder held!

So I had a bit of splicing to do ... even though I hate loops in shorelines, it wasn't my boat.

* A classic case of the 'strain energy' within a highly stressed, very strong material, causing a rupture to propagate from a tiny surface defect, as we discussed in the BiB2 thread!)
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 22:00   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
KEEPING THE STATION ON THE ENGINE

Sometime it is necessary to use Your engine for a limited period, to keep the boat on the station when Med moored in harbour in strong cross wind. It is useful rather only as an interim measure, so You better do not wait until Your anchor start to drag. In really fierce crosswind it is often necessary to arrange for putting a spider web of lines connecting all affected boats or to lay out additional anchors at the angle to windward, as described in earlier posts in this thread. Both need cooperation between involved boat crews, and arranging the cooperation demands the time. Motoring can buy this time without dragging an anchor. If You want to use Your engine remember that it will be really useful only if it will help to counter the side force created by wind and pushing the bow to leeward. To achieve this You need to make loose Your leeward mooring line (or lines) and keep the boat at the quay by the windward mooring line only. The revs on the engine should be so adjusted to keep the windward mooring line well tight and to keep the bow pointing slightly to windward. The boat is safe now, and need only one person on board, adjusting the revs according to the changes of the wind force. The rest of the party can take part in the group efforts of all crews to secure the boats permanently.
When I am solo, I use a similar technique of a single line and motor when leaving a marina berth when there is a cross breeze or if it is on the nose.

I release the leeward line and ease off the windward line and then run the motor. I balance the throttle and rudder angle against the wind until the boat settles pointing straight ahead with there is plenty of slack on the lazy line. Then I can leisurely drop the lazy line and amble back to the cockpit and release the windward line and leave my beth like a pro

If it is gusty, I tend to take more time learning the gust patterns to time the LL drop. I hurry up back to the cockpit in these conditions

Tags
mediterranean, mooring