Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2020, 09:32   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Maxwell windlass questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Rote to say, but consider contacting Maxwell directly. When I wanted to convert my VWC1200 from 12 to 24v I contacted Maxwell directly and got the following instructions:

"You can convert a 12 volt unit to a 24 volt unit but you have to change the following parts

On/ Off Breaker ( new part number - P100791 )
Reversing Solenoid ( new part number SP5105)
And Motor ( new part number - P12074)

Best Regards

Will V.
Vetus Maxwell Inc.
714 227 38xx cell"
[convert the last two cell digits to "32" for the correct number]

I got these parts off Ebay for slightly less than Hodges, otherwise keeping the (functional) 12v stuff on board for backup.
Yes, the schematic for the solenoids show the coils are powered from the high power positive feed, using a fuse and even a switch.... I’ll have to see where mine is/are but I plan to keep using 12V for the solenoid coils. Tracing those small fuses, often in-line with wiring is another one of my never ending jobs. All that will be centralized with my new wiring, even if that means a bit longer wiring run

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 15:13   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I found that behind their little plastic panel, they use a Bussmann thermal type III breaker. These cost $30 but with their plastic nameplate panel Maxwell seems to sell them for $130.

I will probably upgrade to a heavy duty version 80A, with both terminals at the bottom for easier cabling. These are sold by many brands incl. Blue Sea Systems.

Even though they are just thermal breakers, at current of 5x rated value they break in 0.1 second.
Good sleuthing
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 18:49   #18

Boat: 31ft tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I have a Maxwell VWC3500 windlass with 12V motor. It has a breaker/disconnect with the number 135 printed on it.

Does anyone know if this is a 135A breaker? I think it acts on heat, is that correct? I am thinking of installing a Blue Sea Systems RBS remote battery switch in the negative battery connection to shut it off remotely and provide galvanic protection, while replacing the breaker/disconnect with a fuse. Would a Midi fuse work?

Also, I am considering to replace the motor with a 24V model. Does anyone have a good source for these?

Thanks!
Maxwell will answer your questions directly if you email them from there website and tell you what part numbers you need.
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 19:42   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoos View Post
Maxwell will answer your questions directly if you email them from there website and tell you what part numbers you need.
I did that and am still waiting while this forum had all the answers in a couple of hours

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 19:06   #20

Boat: NorSea 27

Hello - I have a Maxwell 23 two speed self-tailing winch. I am trying to do maintenance on it and have obtained schematic and directions on line. I have taken off the cap and self-tailing structure. Next they say to pull up on the drum. This is my question. The drum does not budge-maybe frozen. Am I missing a step?
KEgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxwell, wind, windlass