Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2019, 14:43   #1

Maxwell windlass question

I recently had a Maxwell RC8-8 (vertical axis) windlass installed on my boat. It seems like a generally good quality item.

In the very center of the windlass is a female winch handle socket, and the windlass comes with a winch handle. The winch handle is used in the socket to disengage the clutch, so one can freewheel the rode down; then one uses the handle to re-engage the clutch, for normal electric operation.

I like the design, BUT ...

At the bottom of the socket is the head of an allen bolt, which is used to hold the windlass together; the head of that bolt naturally domes up, so as to make room for the allen socket.

The problem is that this bolt head makes it impossible to insert the winch handle any further than about 1/4". It is hard to apply significant force (torque) without the handle popping out of the socket.

Does anyone else have this issue? It seems like a very odd design flaw, and one that could have easily been done differently. I can press down with the heel of the other hand, and get by or simple engage/disengage. But for any real control, to moderate the speed of a freewheeling descending rode, the setup is not good; it's too wobbly, not solid.

Thoughts? Comments?
mainemandean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 15:10   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Maxwell windlass question

Our maxwell windlass was supplied with a winch handle with the center of the drive hollowed out to clear the bolt head.

As an aside, the clutch pack on this windlass isn’t really designed to free-fall. The winch handle is supplied to release the clutch and manually crank in the chain of required.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 15:15   #3

Re: Maxwell windlass question

Well, that's what's odd.

Mine is hollowed out; but after a point, it is hollowed out less. It is "stepped," as it were. Is yours like this? It's the deeper, smaller diameter part that prevents it from going down over the head.

Maybe the router in the machine shop hiccupped?
Old 09-05-2019, 16:00   #4

Mine has a flat head screw in the middle of the clutch, so it doesn’t stick up as far as an Allen head would.

I’d bet they changed the bolt to Allen but didn’t follow through on the other affected pieces.
Old 09-05-2019, 16:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Mine has a flat head screw in the middle of the clutch, so it doesn’t stick up as far as an Allen head would.

I’d bet they changed the bolt to Allen but didn’t follow through on the other affected pieces.
Thanks, SM.

I wondered why mine was not a flat head, actually, as that would seem more sensible. Is there perhaps an aspect of the installation job that might make the boat yard decide to use a different screw?
Old 10-05-2019, 04:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
Thanks, SM.

I wondered why mine was not a flat head, actually, as that would seem more sensible. Is there perhaps an aspect of the installation job that might make the boat yard decide to use a different screw?

No part of the installation would require taking this apart. Installing is literally drop it in from the deck, then go below and attach the motor.

Unless someone decided to take it apart and dropped the original screw.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
No part of the installation would require taking this apart. Installing is literally drop it in from the deck, then go below and attach the motor.

Unless someone decided to take it apart and dropped the original screw.
Thanks; that's what I would have guessed. Once I call them. I'll give you guys the scoop.

BTW, these days "guys" is gender-neutral!!
Old 10-05-2019, 07:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Maxwell is pretty responsive. They answered a whole bunch of questions before we bought ours a few weeks ago.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:18   #9

Boat: Catalina 36

I have the same model and have been very happy with its performance. I will take a look at mine over the weekend to see what kind of screw is used. To be honest, I always just power up and down so never use the provided handle. The only issue I have had is the motor is located in the vberth and drips a little water around the spindle occasionally. This is not due to poor application of sealant .
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:20   #10

Just got off the phone with Maxwell. The very nice young man told me all the current handles do not quite make it to the bottom of that socket. I am going to have my machine shop buddy bore out my handle some more. That socket is not super deep to begin with. If I can get to the point where the handle goes all the way to the bottom, that should take the wobble out, which will help a lot, when combined with pressure from the heel of my hand. They need to just bore the handles out more. Ya know?
Old 10-05-2019, 16:29   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

could you not replace the socket head cap screw with a button head one? That would lower its profile quite a bit, and not require any machining. Or perhaps do both... or counter sink and use a flat head screw?

Jim
Old 05-07-2019, 21:38   #12

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo16 View Post
I have the same model and have been very happy with its performance. I will take a look at mine over the weekend to see what kind of screw is used. To be honest, I always just power up and down so never use the provided handle. The only issue I have had is the motor is located in the vberth and drips a little water around the spindle occasionally. This is not due to poor application of sealant .
Dripping water down the spindle can be the start of a major problem. If it is salt water it will quickly corrode the top case under the deck which is alloy. It will also corrode the spline that the large under deck nut does up on causing a major headache when trying to pull apart for servicing. The only way to prevent this is to put plenty of grease on the underdeck fitting & to completely fill the top with grease once a season.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:40   #13

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you have had some first hand experience with this issue. I had originally called Maxwell to verify that nothing was wrong. They were very attentive to my leaking concerns and verified that there was nothing wrong with the windless. They never suggested packing with grease and there was nothing mentioned in the manual. I did pack it with grease but have not been able to completely stop the water drips. I think I will take your advice and dissemble and degrease it thoroughly. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention - much appreciated
Old 06-07-2019, 06:42   #14

Oops I meant to say re-grease everything thoroughly
Old 06-07-2019, 14:39   #15

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo16 View Post
Oops I meant to say re-grease everything thoroughly
No problems. My winch was about 2 years old when I noticed a oil leak from the motor. I phoned the Maxwell agents in Brisbane who said that it would be the seal on the gearbox. They sent a replacement to the marina in Airlie Beach as we were in the Whitsunday Islands at the time. The mechanical shop that they sent it to were very helpful as I couldn't remove the gearbox due to the corrosion. They told me that it was a common problem with that model of winch & no where in the manual did it say to apply a good coating of grease. They serviced many anchor winches on the large charter fleet based their, with their assistance we dismantled it, with the assistance of a big hammer & a drift. then found a hole in the top of the case from the dripping salt water. Being right underneath the deck it couldn't be seen. My winch had been in constant use for 2 years and I had serviced it regularly from on the deck but hadn't been packing enough grease into the base of the vertical shaft. The mechanic told me that. He also put a copious amount of a different type of grease "black" onto the alloy splines that hold the gearbox up from underneath the deck.
I emailed Maxwell about my experience & said that the manual should include more information about the importance of filling with grease & where to place it. Also about greasing the underneath. Never received a reply!!
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxwell, wind, windlass