Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2015, 12:49   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Maxwell gear box servicing

I have a Maxwell 800 windlass that I just recently serviced from above deck. Nothing bad was found even though the clutch had been sticky. Cleaned everything off and re-greased and put back together.
I happened to access the area below deck today and noted that the sight glass shows no oil level. I would obviously like to add some gear oil but can't seem to locate a place to add oil. The only thing I could see is removing the entire windlass, turning it vertical and adding oil through the sight glass plug. This seems like unbelievable poor engineering and I think it is more likely that I am just too stupid to find the place one adds oil. I could really use a hint as to where the oil is added ...
thanks
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 13:53   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Maxwell gear box servicing

I have a 1500, but that is the way mine works. You have to pull the transmission and fill it with oil. My guess is that you have a leak somewhere as this oil is not normally consumed. While you have it out you might as well replace all the seals and o-rings. My 1500 manual says to do this every three years. I have good access so it's not all that hard. Good luck.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 14:10   #3
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I have a 1500, but that is the way mine works. You have to pull the transmission and fill it with oil. My guess is that you have a leak somewhere as this oil is not normally consumed. While you have it out you might as well replace all the seals and o-rings. My 1500 manual says to do this every three years. I have good access so it's not all that hard. Good luck.
There is in fact a small leak but gear oil would take a long time to oooze out and I wouldn't mind at all to wrap a bit of a towel around the area rather than to take the unit out .... but I guess if it has to come out to add oil then I might as well replace the seals

Thanks!
Old 24-03-2015, 16:39   #4

The leak will likely be from the input shaft seal. Though you don't mind this oil, DC motors with brushes will.
The gearbox should not be hard to remove, 4 more bolts when you had the chainwheel removed and the gearbox / shaft would drop out.
Guss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 18:07   #5
Jd1

The job is done! It was in fact the input shaft seal which I replaced and I have sourced a complete seal kit but am not sure if I will order it (6 weeks delivery unless I want to pay more in freight than for the kit). Dropping the gearbox/motor was a non-event, getting the old seal out was a surprising pain but geting the gear/motor re-installed by myself was quite the job. It would have been easy with another set of hands. Oh well, I had a chance to inspect the gear box insides and all is well which was worth the whole effort. I will check for slow leaks in a week or so before I close everything back up.

Tags
gear, maxwell