Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2013, 17:42   #91

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Marking Anchor Chain

SVNeko, the answer to your question is on his blog. June 17, 2010. Very fine sand, of a quality that does not lend itself to secure anchoring.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 17:53   #92
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I wouldn't. Our problem is that we are 58 feet and 55,000 disp. There is no chance ever of us man-handling the 120 # anchor and 1700# of chain. Never mind that my back would never survive hard-core manual retrieval. I never lift of pull anything without some combination of power and belaying equipment.

If the wind, even moderate, was pushing us towards shore, manual hauling would be problematic.
This is why I always tell people to get a windlass even on a 30' boat. I have sailed a 30 footer without windlass for 17 years and it was stupid, never should have done that.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 19:23   #93

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive been using the same roll of florescent yarn ( bright orange) for 15 years or so! don't even start marking till after the first 50 ft . and every 30 ft after that ! works for us and is simple and cheap! which make us happy happy happy ! LOL and with a 100lb anchor we have a windless of course
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51   #94

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots

PM sent. Lessons learned and no damage done; except to my confidence.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:03   #95

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35

I think, with or without markers on the chain, we should still try to develop our ability of measuring by eye, by looking at the pile of chain remaining in our locker...

We can mark the walls of the chain locker to that effect as well, again regardless of our chain is marked or not...
sycankiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:20   #96

Boat: CS 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewan08 View Post
Has anyone had success with marking galvanized anchor chain. I would like to know how much chain I have let out and am not going to pay for a chain counter. Most paints don't stick to galvanized with the combination of salt, sun and a gypsy.
I have istalled new electric windless with wireless remote has chain counter display no need to mark chain
COLINFLTENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 10:28   #97

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Most windlass have in the specs a feet per minute drop rate. That is how I estimate the amount of chain I put out for the depth I'am in, simple & has worked for me.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 11:16   #98
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycankiz View Post
I think, with or without markers on the chain, we should still try to develop our ability of measuring by eye, by looking at the pile of chain remaining in our locker...

We can mark the walls of the chain locker to that effect as well, again regardless of our chain is marked or not...

I suppose, but for people who don't have years and years of experience, marking the chain/rode gives you confidence. there have been times when I needed to tell someone how much chain and rode I had out, and I was glad to be able to tell them with confidence.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 12:11   #99

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I suppose, but for people who don't have years and years of experience, marking the chain/rode gives you confidence. there have been times when I needed to tell someone how much chain and rode I had out, and I was glad to be able to tell them with confidence.
Exactly -- the markings on my chain confirm what I need to know without a chain counter. Mine, a simple code of red- white- and blue stripes at 25, 50 and 75' tell me all I need. I did mark from 90' to 97' in white and the last three in red. Just in case, don't you know? One thing I failed to do and will remedy the next time I get to a dock is paint the first three feet white as well. I'd like to have a warning when the anchor is at the waterline so I could motor a bit to help wash off the muck when getting underway.

And visual aids help me to anchor better/safer and with enough scope. A few anchorages ago a local fisherman indicated that he didn't think I had enough chain out (it was almost straight down) but I was able to explain that at the blue there was actually 75' deployed. He was absolutely correct -- it didn't look like I was safely anchored.

Anyway, sure it's good to know intuitively how much chain is out, but there's something about a secondary visual clue that confirms all is well......... For me, deliberate and cautious anchoring is simply a part of protecting my home. My painted chain system works for me, but perhaps if I had one of those spiffy chain counters I'd change my mind.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 12:25   #100
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have one tie wrap at 50, 2 at 100, and 3 at 150 ft. passes well thru the gypsy, and no problem. and , as my primary chain is only 194 ft in length, i can always count back from inside my chain locker to see how much remains in locker...very easily done.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 12:45   #101
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Exactly -- the markings on my chain confirm what I need to know without a chain counter. Mine, a simple code of red- white- and blue stripes at 25, 50 and 75' tell me all I need. I did mark from 90' to 97' in white and the last three in red. Just in case, don't you know? One thing I failed to do and will remedy the next time I get to a dock is paint the first three feet white as well. I'd like to have a warning when the anchor is at the waterline so I could motor a bit to help wash off the muck when getting underway.

And visual aids help me to anchor better/safer and with enough scope. A few anchorages ago a local fisherman indicated that he didn't think I had enough chain out (it was almost straight down) but I was able to explain that at the blue there was actually 75' deployed. He was absolutely correct -- it didn't look like I was safely anchored.

Anyway, sure it's good to know intuitively how much chain is out, but there's something about a secondary visual clue that confirms all is well......... For me, deliberate and cautious anchoring is simply a part of protecting my home. My painted chain system works for me, but perhaps if I had one of those spiffy chain counters I'd change my mind.
Probably the boat just hadn't settled back yet.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 00:10   #102

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The "in"-famous wingless two-digit trinary chain marking color code works for me.

On my 200' chain, there are two inner links that increment red - white - blue every 20', then the outer two links increment red - white - blue.

This is available for others to use, but the technique needs to be attributed as the "wingless trinary color code" and $20 needs to be deposited to my Paypal account.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 07:13   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
The "in"-famous wingless two-digit trinary chain marking color code works for me.

On my 200' chain, there are two inner links that increment red - white - blue every 20', then the outer two links increment red - white - blue.

This is available for others to use, but the technique needs to be attributed as the "wingless trinary color code" and $20 needs to be deposited to my Paypal account.

I didn't know there was such a system but we seemed to have 'invented' a version ourselves. we have 320 feet of chain and used a very similar paint system with convenient Rustoleum colors. I made a color coded printed code breaker laminated card for installation at the chain locker. my marks are every 25 feet.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 08:25   #104

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
we have 320 feet of chain and used a very similar paint system with convenient Rustoleum colors. my marks are every 25 feet.
A two-digit trinary color code w/ marks every 25' is capable of marking up to 225 feet. What is the system for 250 feet and beyond?
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 08:58   #105

If you dont know if you're at 75 ft or 150 ft .. well... you need to pay better attention! all you really have to do is alternate red, white, blue and just keep alternating....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor