Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2014, 00:28   #1

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Marine Debris

For full size image - Plastic Waste - Plastic waste seen in a small embayment off a nice anchorage in Croatia Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

OK so not exactly anchoring exactly but this was seen in a very picturesque anchorage in Croatia. It is a SE facing bay that gets the full brunt of the winter storms pushing a massive amount of trash into it.

Look closely, can you see the rubbish bin, the garden chair and several buckets? God only knows what else is in that pile but it is a sad indictment of the waste humankind is dumping into the sea.

This year we have seen a dramatic increase in the quantity of floating detritus in the sea around Croatia. Plastic carrier bags, buckets, food wrappers, cigarette cartons, plastic bottles, you name it we have seen it float past. Yes even condoms and sanitary products!!

I know all of us who sail take care with our waste so one can only assume this is all from our land based brethren. Maybe it is time we sea lovers made then realise where their litter ends up, the danger to shipping it presents and the damage it does to marine life.

Please feel free to share this picture with others and maybe add others you have to this thread to give even more evidence of the impact litter has on our home.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 01:21   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Marine Debris

You know, I don't mind carrying a plastic bag with me and filling it with flotsam as we walk along a beach, but I don't really want to pick up lawn chairs or trash barrels.
Old 13-09-2014, 01:50   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Weve seen that in the land.n sea park in the exumas

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 04:38   #4
cruiser

Most of the junk we see floating around out there is the result of trash along the roads in cities which gets washed into the storm drains and river beds during thunderstorms. I'm not sure there's much that can be done since most of the litterbugs have no idea where it ends up... Nor do they care.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 05:32   #5

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Marine Debris

Younger folks will never believe it but the side of most American roads used to look just like this until the 60s or so with the don't be a litterbug movement.

Here in Carolina there are a few organized volunteer "Beach Sweeps" as cleanup strategies. There is one today as a matter of fact on Radio Island which is along the Beaufort Inlet. Think Global. Act Local.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 09:40   #6

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm not sure there's much that can be done since most of the litterbugs have no idea where it ends up... Nor do they care.
Ken,

I agree with you most of it is because people don't know and sadly also because they don't care. That's where people like us have to step up and spread the word. Educating the young of the world is the first step so they understand the importance of not littering then pester power does the rest for the older generations.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 11:45   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Here, in Greece, we've watched a woman drag her young child out of the car, tell him off and order him to drop his litter on the road! Think there's a bit of education needed around here!

Tags
debris, marine, plastic, waste