Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2020, 09:13   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40
Re: Mantus swivel affects anchoring with Manson Supreme

My 27Kg Manson supreme always presents itself upside down when I retrieve it. I was looking at fitting a suitable swivel to make it easier to spin round or fit the chain to the slot. Now I'm not so sure.

The slot is described by Manson as being suitable for rocky anchorages in case the anchor gets trapped. Had this happen to me twice..... once with my spade off Corsica and the second time in Antigua on a charter boat. Took me thirty minutes or so to retieve the anchor in both situations. To lose the spade would have been expensive. To have lost the charter boat anchor and chain even more so.

A tripping line makes sense until the first time someone picks up "the mooring buoy" attached to your anchor. I've heard that some seadogs have a line attached to the anchor chain by easily breakable thread/elastic bands/something else for the first ten or fifteen Mtrs of chain. (Whatever depth you normally anchor in and a few meters extra so that when the chain is straight up and down attached to a "stuck" anchor you can retieve your tripping line, bend on a longer length of line and then trip the anchor. Neater than managing a normal tripping line.

None of which answers the question of "How do I get my anchor to come in the right way up?"
Old 01-11-2020, 08:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohapence View Post
My 27Kg Manson supreme always presents itself upside down when I retrieve it. I was looking at fitting a suitable swivel to make it easier to spin round or fit the chain to the slot. Now I'm not so sure.

The slot is described by Manson as being suitable for rocky anchorages in case the anchor gets trapped. Had this happen to me twice..... once with my spade off Corsica and the second time in Antigua on a charter boat. Took me thirty minutes or so to retieve the anchor in both situations. To lose the spade would have been expensive. To have lost the charter boat anchor and chain even more so.

A tripping line makes sense until the first time someone picks up "the mooring buoy" attached to your anchor. I've heard that some seadogs have a line attached to the anchor chain by easily breakable thread/elastic bands/something else for the first ten or fifteen Mtrs of chain. (Whatever depth you normally anchor in and a few meters extra so that when the chain is straight up and down attached to a "stuck" anchor you can retieve your tripping line, bend on a longer length of line and then trip the anchor. Neater than managing a normal tripping line.

None of which answers the question of "How do I get my anchor to come in the right way up?"
Make sure you have a groove in your bow roller and align the chain, if that doesn't help buy a Boomerang, not swivel, Bunerang.

And look here for a solution to your stuck anchor issues.
https://www.vikinganchors.com/data-center/anchormate
Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:29   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohapence View Post
My 27Kg Manson supreme always presents itself upside down when I retrieve it....
If it is always upside down, look for the reason. At worst, it should be 50%. My Manson is always right side up. And there is a reason.

Are you moving forward through the water when you recover the anchor? Most scoop anchors align with the water flow. If you are moving forward, they reverse. If you are backing, they align (although the chain can resist this natural tendency, depending on alignment and roller design). Try it.

Many sailors move forward while they recover chain, resulting in reversed anchors.
Old 01-11-2020, 14:10   #19

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Grooved rollers to match chain sorted out 99.9% of our chain twist/anchor upside down issues.

The 0.1% of the time we have issues is if I impatiently pull it in to fast and at an angle which has the chain jump out of groove and roll.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 14:28   #20

Boat: Hunter 37C
Mantus swivel affects anchoring with Manson Supreme

We have a 55lb mantus anchor and swivel. It it’s the wrong way I just let it swivel the right way. Always seems to work out. We
Have a grooved roller also but I’ve always thought the swivel does more.
I’m a big fan of the swivel underwater also. It surely helps in the where I’m anchored.

Got ride if ‘trip line’ completely. Im in the intracoastal so way to tidal. It would get constantly keel wrapped and I am pretty sure it’s the reason for a few boats I’ve seen drag
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 11:42   #21

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Many sailors move forward while they recover chain, resulting in reversed anchors.

Very true. Moving forward will turn it around. Another reason is a lot of mud stuck to the anchor. Depending on where it is sitting, it changes the balance. Of course, one should get the mud off before bringing the anchor home.

That said, if we are moving forward slowly to wash off sand or mud, the anchor will sometimes not turn back around once it is clean.

Cheers,
Bruce
bbalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 11:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Many swivels will bend or break if sideloaded. If you decide you need one, connect it to the anchor with a few links of chain. Then you can use to correct hole, and also not side load the swivel.
I

The Mantus swivel is designed to eliminate the side load problem. The links of chain are not needed
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 01:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbalan View Post
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies. Many have asked why I have a swivel in the first place. I don't want to get into a swivel debate --there have been plenty on CF already!

For us, we find it VERY useful when the anchor comes up facing the wrong way. It is much easier to reach over the bow pulpit and spin the anchor with a swivel than to try to spin anchor and flip the chain in the slot on the roller. Especially if it happens in nasty weather. It is also useful when we are at anchor for weeks in the same spot with changing winds and/or currents. The WASI is stronger than shackles that fit our 3/8" HT chain. I'm sure many will disagree because of the side-loading argument. However, it's worked well for us for 20+ years and 60,000+ NM and in many different anchoring conditions.
Heading off internet for the next 2 months. Fair winds!
Cheers,
Bruce
s/v Migration
Santa Rosalia, BCS, Mexico
migrations.brucebalan.com
chartlocker.brucebalan.com
coppercoat.brucebalan.com

Just for the record on Wasi swivels. There has never been a Wasi swivel with bent forks as for these swivels, there is no side loading debate. When you use one of these, the forks do not bend. Spend 5 mins and walk around your marina and look at all the poor quality ones with splayed forks and you can see why there ends up being so much discussion.
Actually, the Wasi is made to be used together with the Bugel anchor as the shank on the Bugel has a round hole which is required when using a swivel. Oblong shank holes are for shackles not swivels.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, Manson, Manson Supreme, Mantus, swivel