Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 11:20   #151

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Mantus Chain Hook

Those are interesting numbers. We switched our bridles from 3-strand to 8-strand and noticed a significant difference in stretch and "smoothness". The 8-strand was Buccaneer Rope brand and we have had 2 of these over the years. Recently, I just made up a bridle using Yale Brait, and the difference in "hand" and splicing qualities was very different than the Buccaneer. The Brait was much more "hard" and "tight" than the Buccaneer - which may explain the linearity with double braid and deviation from 3-strand for lower loads.

This wasn't from memory - due to circumstances, I had a length of Brait and a length of Buccaneer and each now form a leg of our new bridle. We haven't had a chance to use this frankenbridle yet, but I wonder if we will notice differences in stretchiness between the legs?

If you get ahold of some Buccaneer plait, I would be interested in its stretch compared to Brait and 3-strand.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:31   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I agree with you that there are probably significant difference between the various different braits. And they may well 'age' differently, and differently than 3 strand.

I had planned to test the nylon up to 2500lbs, but I ran out of hydraulic travel at 1000lbs. I am getting a longer ram in order to better test nylon but it has not come yet.

So, I will come back to this later.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 13:45   #153
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I agree with you that there are probably significant difference between the various different braits. And they may well 'age' differently, and differently than 3 strand.

I had planned to test the nylon up to 2500lbs, but I ran out of hydraulic travel at 1000lbs. I am getting a longer ram in order to better test nylon but it has not come yet.

So, I will come back to this later.
I have seen the same results from another cordage maker, which thus shows some consistency. 3 strand has more elasticity initially but anchor plait has a higher ultimate elasticity. But the differences are marginal, or not something that I think anyone would really notice. Beyond about 50% of total elasticity (approx 50% of UTS) any results are a bit academic as we should not be loading that high anyway - which means 3 ply is better. I use 3 strand in a mixed rode, because I have it, if I was buying from new I'd buy anchor plait simply because its easier to handle (and the elasticity differences not great).

Elasticity vs diam is a function of weight, rather than diameter - again I have not checked but is 3 strand heavier (or lighter) than the same nominal diameter anchor plait.

It would be interesting to look at different plaits, braids or 3 strand as manufacturers seem to show different elasticities to each other - but I do wonder if they have smoothed the curves - which means looking at manufacturers data is flawed - someone would need to actually do it (and you would need an awful lot of different cordage - not something I can easily acquire as Americans think exporting is selling from NY to Cal

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 22:33   #154

What about using a 4WD snatch strap as a bridle/snubber?

"The Mean Mother Snatch um Strap is made in Australia and rated at 8,000kgs giving you plenty of strength to get your 4WD out of a mess.
This strap is 9 metres long by 60mm wide and is made from High Tenacity nylon webbing with reinforced and protected eyes and has been Thermofixed and treated for long wear.
This snatch strap has a high elongation rate of 20% making it ideal for pulling your mate out of a bog."
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mantus, Rubber Snubbers, Snubbers, Soft Shackles, mantus