Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2018, 22:14   #1

Mantus 35 vs 25 for an 8600lbs boat

I have an Ericsson 29, and am heading out for some winter cruising in the Puget Sound. I just bought a mantus 35 lb and am trying to figure out if that is a stupidly large anchor for my boat and a waste of money or if it seems reasonable. Mantus says I could do either, but just looking for some experience with anchors out there. I have virtually 0.
CameronEricson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 23:47   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Mantus 35 vs 25 for an 8600lbs boat

It all depends on the strength of the winds you are likely to have in your area, and if you want to go farther afield where the occasional frontal passage may try to blow you out of the anchorage.

I held back from saying, "Keep the one you bought. It was the right decision....and you'll sleep better, " but I just couldn't help myself! If you're familiar with Evans Starzinger, he always used to say, buy one size larger than the manufacturer's recommendation. Seems to be pretty true.

Ann
Old 13-10-2018, 23:58   #3

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

35 lb seems way overkill for a 9k pound boat. If you have a windlass it's ok but I wouldn't like to haul it in by hand. Use a short length of chain to lighten the total weight.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 01:50   #4

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I say buy the biggest new gen anchor you and your boat can handle and sleep well every night. What better insurance can there be?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 05:27   #5

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Plus one for the largest anchor you can handle. Also a minimum of your boat length in chain. Last month we had a Squall hitting close to 80 knots when light winds were predicted.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 05:38   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I'm not going to offer anchor size advise, since I am not from your area. Yes, 35 pounds is probably overkill. You need to decide what you think about that. Ask locals.

I did a lot of load testing. In 60 knots you boat will feel about 500 pounds just from the wind. Depending on your rode choice and exposure, you will feel several times more, by the time waves and yawing are considered. (When you yaw, the boat see the side of the boat, easily doubling the wind load.)

A 25-pound Mantus anchor will hold about 500 pounds in the most soupy mud and all but the very worst bottoms. It will hold well over a ton in good mud or sand.

I used a 35-pound Manson on a 34-foot catamaran (windage like 40+ monohull) and a 12-pound Mantus on a 24-foot trimaran. I probably would have gone with 25 pounds for your boat and slept well. But I wouldn't laugh at 35 pounds.

But much will ALWAYS depend on where and how you drop the anchor. Drop it on smooth rock and a 35-pound anchor may only hold 50 pounds. In weed there are no firm answers. Practice, dive on anchors for the learning value, now and then when practical, and always powerset when there is ANY doubt.

https://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2...hor-loads.html
Old 14-10-2018, 06:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If the 35 works OK in your bow then I would keep it. Best anchor advice I had was one size larger than the manufacturer’s recommendation.

Our Rocna 55 (121#) never drags on suitable bottom. 58 feet, 40 tons. We anchor out always, months at a time.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 06:55   #8

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

The advice I got from cruising friends when looking for an anchor was "if they are not laughing at the size of your anchor, its not big enough".
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 07:17   #9

We have a similar (weight) boat with our Mirage 33 (just shy of 10k lbs). We have the Mantus 25lbs and it held us BEAUTIFULLY in a Force 8 with tornado warnings this season. The boat swung a full 360 2x over with the wind and wave switches from the storm. I swam down to inspect how the mantus held afterwards (knowing we didn't drag an inch from the circumference we swung) and that SOB literally was sitting in a pot it made in the sand with the marks from the anchor rode coming out in all directions as we swung. It just would twist a bit and re-set perfect and never moved from the "pit" it had made.

Anyways, amazing anchor and 25lbs would work fine for you but if you already have the bigger anchor why bother switching UNLESS it doesn't fit your roller or you are unable to retrieve it (no windlass) without major problems. We do haul our 25lbs up by hand as we have no windlass and I wouldn't want to pull one much bigger.
GuyFromTheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 09:59   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromTheNorth View Post
... but if you already have the bigger anchor why bother switching UNLESS it doesn't fit your roller or you are unable to retrieve it (no windlass) without major problems. We do haul our 25lbs up by hand as we have no windlass and I wouldn't want to pull one much bigger.

This is certainly a key factor. I once had a 25-pound anchor with 50' of chain; that was sort of reasonable. 35-pounds with all chain was NOT reasonable, unless I used the windlass (I was often testing 35-pound anchors that were not on the windlass rode).

If you do not have a windlass, consider using a second anchor as needed. This is counter to the internet wisdom, which will most often come down from folks using a windlass. No windlass and smaller anchors is different and take different solutions. I've done both.

Sail Delmarva: Getting my Small Boat Anchoring Mojo Back
Old 14-10-2018, 15:01   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Had a 45# CQR on a 20,000# boat. Anchored 24/7 for a year and a half with no problems including a 50 mph storm. Have a 35# Manson Supreme on 13,000# boat. Works great, just let it drop and it's set. Both the above with a windlass. Current boat is 7400# and does great with a 10# FX16 Fortress which is fine with my back as it doesn't have a windlass.

Would say a 35# anchor on your boat is stupidly large unless you have a windlass. Load that anchor up with clay/mud and you might have to dead lift 50# or more of anchor plus what ever chain you have attached and that could be from 50' or more below the surface in some of the deep anchorages found in PNW.

If you look at anchor retrieval as an aerobic weight exercise and your back is bullet proof, have at it. You won't have to worry about dragging anchor and your rode will undobtedly depart before the anchor shows any sign of discomfort.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 15:32   #12

Nobody ever woke up in the middle of the night as a squall blew through the anchorage worrying their anchor was too big. Ever.

Seriously, you're fine.

What is the worst possible effect of having an anchor of the larger size? An extra 10 pounds of weight on the bow? Who cares! Your dock neighbors laughing at you? You can take it!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 16:46   #13

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

The usual anchor tackle for boats cruising WA, BC, and SE Alaska is to carry 2 anchors and rodes. Typically one would be your storm anchor and the other your working anchor. I'd say you just bought your storm anchor.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 18:28   #14

Alright, Thank you all for the feedback. Seeing that I don't have a windlass and the 25 lb anchor will be easier to pull up. I think I am going to switch to that and save some unnecessary weight.

I appreciate all the feedback and helpful suggestions.
CameronEricson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 22:09   #15

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

If you have to weather a blow at anchor, a heavy anchor--good length of chain, a kellet and some 20 mm diameter nylon rode with a chafe shield will be a great investment.

No I do not think your anchor is too large at all. On my trimaran I had a sixty pounder and a twenty-five pounds kellet as well as 200 feet of 12.5mm short link chain and another four hundred feet of 20 mm diameter nylon. Never dragged, with this simple set-up but always found good holding bottom before setting an anchor. NEVER set an anchor in river gravel, it is the worst holding of all..

Your smaller anchor might be OK for a quick set and retrieve on a calm day with little current, for a spot of lunch or some fishing.. I would not have it as my main bower anchor.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Mantus