Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 06:07   #1
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Warwick RI
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 1,878
Manson Supreme Rock slot

So I'm looking at getting a Manson Supreme anchor. The shank has 2 places to connect the shackle. There is the traditional hole at the end of the shank and there is the rock slot that runs the length of the shank so you can slide the shackle forward if it gets stuck and you can pull the anchor out backwards.

Is there a reason not to always leave the shackle in the rock slot? As opposed to switching between the 2 attachment points depending on floor conditions.

I would think that you can always leave it in the rock slot but was wondering if anyone had any experience as to why this would be a good or bad idea.

And no I am not looking for this to be a debate about what is the best anchor just the features on this anchor.
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:26   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 15,396
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

Lot of previous discussion on this. The most common concern expressed with using the rock slot is the risk of pulling out the anchor in a situation where the tide or wind reversed. In this situation as the boat moves 180 degrees from the original anchoring angle it seems like there is a chance that the shackle would slide up the slot when the rode tensions in the other direction and pull out the anchor instead of resetting.

That's one of the reasons I didn't buy a Manson. Contacted them about it and informed them there was a lot of interest in an anchor without the slot but they were not interested in addressing the issue.

If you like the Manson I think they are very good anchors but would not use the slot as the regular attachment point.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
Sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious for the benefit of the oblivious.
Rust is the poor man's Loctite.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:33   #3
Registered User
 
Vasco's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Posts: 7,547
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

Lots of Manson Supremes being used now. Have yet to see anyone using the rock slot. Maybe it's because it's mostly mud and sand where we cruise.
__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:35   #4
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Warwick RI
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 1,878
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Lot of previous discussion on this. The most common concern expressed with using the rock slot is the risk of pulling out the anchor in a situation where the tide or wind reversed. In this situation as the boat moves 180 degrees from the original anchoring angle it seems like there is a chance that the shackle would slide up the slot when the rode tensions in the other direction and pull out the anchor instead of resetting.

That's one of the reasons I didn't buy a Manson. Contacted them about it and informed them there was a lot of interest in an anchor without the slot but they were not interested in addressing the issue.

If you like the Manson I think they are very good anchors but would not use the slot as the regular attachment point.
Understood and very good point!

Not to open a can of worms because I am sure that with out video of an anchor doing this it is ALL speculation but "theoretically" if the anchor pulled out wouldn't the roll bar side or "non pointy side" catch something (i.e a rock or even just the bottom), flip over, the shackle would slide back and then reset. Or am I being way to optimistic?

Again I apologize if I am opening Pandora's box with this one. Just trying to get a feel for pros and cons here.

Thanks for entertaining me on this one.
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:47   #5
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: Bestevaer.
Posts: 12,578
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

The rock slot is designed for short term stops where the boats position is constantly monitored.

A boat that has anchored for a couple hours to fish is a typical example.

If you use the rock slot there is a risk that any change in direction of pull will trip the anchor out. There is a reasonable chance it will reset on its own, but this is by no means certain.

Just use the conventional attachment point and forget about the rock slot if you are typical sailboat.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:50   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: Sold my tri, looking for a cat
Posts: 2,407
Images: 1
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

I own a M-Supreme and would NEVER use that stupid slot unless it was a fishing stop or lunch hook. For overnight anchoring or leaving the boat it is out of the question, for the reasons Skipmac gave. The reason I called it stupid is because I view it as a marketing gimmick. If I was anchoring in an area known for rocks and debris I would use a trip line... much more reliable and better control about when it works (the only drawback being risk of interference from other boaters).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:51   #7
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Warwick RI
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 1,878
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The rock slot is designed for short term stops where the boats position is constantly monitored.

A boat that has anchored for a couple hours to fish is a typical example.

If you use the rock slot there is a risk that any change in direction of pull will trip the anchor out. There is a reasonable chance it will reset on its own, but this is by no means certain.

Just use the conventional attachment point and forget about the rock slot if you are typical sailboat.
Ok I get it now. Thank you! Makes much more sense.
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:55   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: Sold my tri, looking for a cat
Posts: 2,407
Images: 1
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

The other reason I wouldn't use it: As a practical/safety matter I don't change the shackle attachment frequently because it's seized with wire.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:59   #9
Registered User
 
JK n Smitty's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hingham, MA
Boat: Catalina 310
Posts: 637
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

I don't use my rock slot for attaching the rhode. As others have pointed out the reasons why to avoid this I won't repeat it.

I do attach a second line to the rock slot with a float. It the anchor were to be come stuck, I could use the second line to pull the anchor forward and get it un-stuck.

Fair winds,

Jesse
__________________
https://svsmitty.wordpress.com/
JK n Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:03   #10
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Warwick RI
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 1,878
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I own a M-Supreme and would NEVER use that stupid slot unless it was a fishing stop or lunch hook. For overnight anchoring or leaving the boat it is out of the question, for the reasons Skipmac gave. The reason I called it stupid is because I view it as a marketing gimmick. If I was anchoring in an area known for rocks and debris I would use a trip line... much more reliable and better control about when it works (the only drawback being risk of interference from other boaters).
So on the note of a trip line, (which has its own set of pros and cons) how many people have had to cut line and leave their anchor (any type) on the bottom. (what was the situation, was there a trip line, ground composition etc.....etc.....)

I think I worry more about it getting hung up and having to cut away all that expensive chain and anchor more than I worry about my anchor holding properly. Am I the only one or is that a valid concern?
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:06   #11
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Posts: 5,731
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

Only use the rock slot if your anchoring in rocks or coral.
1) Staying on your boat.
2) Do not use at night while sleeping
3) Do not use if you will have a wind or current shift.

Oh and by the way. DO NOT ANCHOR IN ROCKS OR CORAL
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:10   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: Sold my tri, looking for a cat
Posts: 2,407
Images: 1
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

I'd rather have my expensive ground tackle at risk than to put the boat at risk. The ground tackle is easily replaced and costs less than my deductible, but the crew safety factor is priceless. To me this is a no-brainer.

So no, I don't use the rock slot and (almost) never use a trip line. I also carry a Fortress with mixed rode for backup/kedge.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:11   #13
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Warwick RI
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 1,878
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

Oh and by the way. DO NOT ANCHOR IN ROCKS OR CORAL
Ha love the response .

Except with my luck I can anchor near a sand bar and catch the only rock within a mile.
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:18   #14
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 15,396
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Understood and very good point!

Not to open a can of worms because I am sure that with out video of an anchor doing this it is ALL speculation but "theoretically" if the anchor pulled out wouldn't the roll bar side or "non pointy side" catch something (i.e a rock or even just the bottom), flip over, the shackle would slide back and then reset. Or am I being way to optimistic?
Well by now you've seen several other replies but just to address this specific question. Manson designed the rock slot exactly for the shackle to slide down the shank to pull the anchor out if it jams in a rock. So if it is designed to do that then why wouldn't it do it whether you reversed pull on the anchor on purpose to pull it out or the pull reversed without your help when the wind changed direction. Doesn't matter why the pull reverses, if it does then the risk is there and even if the risk is very, very small the results if it happens could be very, very bad.

No I have not heard of anyone who has had that happen, maybe because no one uses the stupid slot.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
Sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious for the benefit of the oblivious.
Rust is the poor man's Loctite.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:43   #15
Registered User
 
Panope's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington State
Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Posts: 1,954
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

When anchoring in deep, rocky fjords, sometimes one needs to use a stern line to shore (a.k.a. med mooring). The slot could be used safely in this situation as there will be no accidental reversing of pull.

Then again, a trip line could be rigged and since the boat will not be swinging, many of the problems of using a trip line will be eliminated.

Steve
__________________
Panope's Modification/Refit: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...un-101572.html Videos of Anchors Setting: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-155412.html
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.