Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 00:06   #226
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: Manson Supreme in Weed

klem, thanks, and you are welcome.

If you think of a better way to do something or something that might advantageously be measured, maybe explore it here - or on another thread.

In terms of anchors there is much to explore, Noelex' idea of 'bigger is better' deserves some attention. I might not agree but given his intransigence (and being there and doing that) it would be arrogant to ignore him (and others). There is the whole subject of specification of anchors, there is the subject of anchors in weed - need to pull the thread back occassionally!

But testing needs to be realistic (it needs to relate as close to real life as possible), preferably the testing needs to be cheap (and simple - do not try to do too much, its a yacht!).

To me there are enough questions (on anchors) to fill a number of MScs and PhDs but I'm not expecting much to happen, anchor makers are not flush (so they are not going to sponsor) and if they will not sponsor they are unlikely to do the work and then publish it. Most publications are shy of work on anchors - some have had their fingers burnt (and it does not pull in advertisers).

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 13:43   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeto View Post
After cruising 6,500 miles with total success anchoring with our Manson Supreme, we now find ourselves in weedy territory. The locals seem to use either the Admiralty or Stockless. Do we need to buy a new anchor? Would appreciate opinions from sailors on whether the MS is reliable in heavy seagrass.
OP here. Didn't realise this thread had grown so much!
Our conclusion after a summer cruising with a Manson Supreme and repeated anchoring in ribbon weed areas, is that we are going straight to buy a new anchor. The MS sets here less than 50% of the time and forces us to spend much time looking for a small sandy patch to drop it onto. This is often difficult and impossible late in the day or at night.
On each unsuccessful set the anchor comes up with a medium sized wad of weed. It seems to dig in only a small way then pull out a clump of weed. We worry that even when it seems to hold under sustained revs that it is unlikely to reset with a wind change. Usually it just skids over the weed with no purchase at all.
We dive to check and find that when it sets it is where the weed is a bit thinner (luck). Then it digs in better, but reset would be almost impossible if it pulled out with thick weed all around.
We will buy a Stockless anchor - one they all use here. Probably 80lb. It has two pivoting prongs that pierce the weed and dig in.
Now I'd better read all those posts I missed. Thanks all.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 19:32   #228

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Teeto--

I have not followed this thread from start to finish so I am sure many questions I can quickly think of were probably answered to adnauseam.

First question--- what is the size of your MS?

Second question-- what size is your boat?

Third question--- is your rode chain or rope?

Final question--- what scope do you mostly use?

Here in Massachusetts we have weeds.........our weeds are for the most part ell grass. My 80# MS attached to 5/6"HT chain has never slipped although this anchor is somewhat new to my usage when I consider how many times I have anchored over the last 30 years or so.

Thanks--

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 23:45   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Teeto--

I have not followed this thread from start to finish so I am sure many questions I can quickly think of were probably answered to adnauseam.

First question--- what is the size of your MS?

Second question-- what size is your boat?

Third question--- is your rode chain or rope?

Final question--- what scope do you mostly use?

Here in Massachusetts we have weeds.........our weeds are for the most part ell grass. My 80# MS attached to 5/6"HT chain has never slipped although this anchor is somewhat new to my usage when I consider how many times I have anchored over the last 30 years or so.

Thanks--

Foggy
Hi Foggy,
MS is 60lb
Boat is 44 foot cat weighing about 9-10 tonnes depending on fuel / water load.
All chain rode. 70 metres of 10mm.
Generally put out 5 - 10 times depth. Never less than 40m overnight.
Don't know ell grass.
We have decided on a 42kg marsh Stockless to deal with the weed. Might get a Sarca Excel to go on the second windlass and chain instead of the stainless plough we have there now.
Anybody want a flash 60lb stainless Manson plough in South Oz?
Old 22-02-2013, 03:22   #230

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Anybody want a flash 60lb stainless Manson plough in South Oz?
Just to clarify . . . do you have a Manson Plough, or a Manson Supreme?

I would think the plough might do better in weed -- at worst cutting a long slow furrow, but not grabbing a ball of weed + mud and skipping lightly over the bottom. . . .
Attached Images

Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 04:12   #231

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

There is a good article here aout anchoring in weed with some sound advice and experience.
Techniques For Anchoring In Weedy Bottoms
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 14:12   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post

Just to clarify . . . do you have a Manson Plough, or a Manson Supreme?

I would think the plough might do better in weed -- at worst cutting a long slow furrow, but not grabbing a ball of weed + mud and skipping lightly over the bottom. . . .
We have both. Two windlass, two anchors, two chains, two anchor lockers. One windlass is slower and stronger than the other.
We mostly use the faster one and save the stronger one for very deep water. That one has a bit less chain and then rope.
You can have this setup easily on a cat. Great if you ever need to put down two anchors too.
Old 22-02-2013, 14:22   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There is a good article here aout anchoring in weed with some sound advice and experience.
Techniques For Anchoring In Weedy Bottoms
Yes well the article sounds just like our experience over the summer. Drop carefully, let out chain straight before any pull. Set only less than 50% of the time. I'm afraid that's just not good enough when your neighbours are all setting first time every time with their Stockless and Admiralty. What about the idea of having the right gear so you drop the anchor, set it and have a cup of tea?
Old 19-09-2013, 03:37   #234

Quote:

Yes well the article sounds just like our experience over the summer. Drop carefully, let out chain straight before any pull. Set only less than 50% of the time. I'm afraid that's just not good enough when your neighbours are all setting first time every time with their Stockless and Admiralty. What about the idea of having the right gear so you drop the anchor, set it and have a cup of tea?
PS. Bought a Stockless. Have used it every time since. Sets every time in weed. Supreme having a little holiday in the shed until we head out of weedy territory again.
Old 19-09-2013, 07:21   #235

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The Admiralty, or fisherman anchor (or variations) is certainly the best in heavy weed.
Its worth bearing in mind that although it will set very reliably in almost all bottom conditions including thick weed, unless very large, its holding power is limited by the relatively small fluke area.

The Marsh stockless anchor (see photo because it is different to traditional stockless anchor) I have not seen in action although there are loads of similar anchors made by the local fishermen. I think with its small fluke area it would be excellent at setting in weed, but I would suggest a similar caution that the holding power is likely to be limited by the small fluke area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	67486  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote